advertisement

Devialet Phantom (part II)

Yes but that's for expert, not phantom and the bass cut has a moon icon, for nighttime listening... I'm not sure it would be the kind of bass cut Devialet would implement for turntables. There is a space for both expert and phantom and the reveal differentiator is in the feature set rather than the package. Both are awesome though.

Yes but that's for expert, not phantom and the bass cut has a moon icon, for nighttime listening... I'm not sure it would be the kind of bass cut Devialet would implement for turntables. There is a space for both expert and phantom and the reveal differentiator is in the feature set rather than the package. Both are awesome though.

Oh, OK. Knew I'd heard something about it.

They really have thought of everything. The hifi industry needs more companies like Devialet IMO.

Not yet set the turn table up for the Phantoms, but plan to run it into an ADC then via the Mac to the Dialog for the Phantoms. I can either use the phono stage for RIAA or software.

Just rang Harrods to check their pricing and returns policy. The Phantom Silver is £1690 and the Dialog £249 which works out about £500 more expensive for a pair with Dialog than buying direct at current exchange rates. They do have a 14 day returns policy but not if the items have been opened.

I also spoke to a Devialet UK based dealer who said everything is up in the air regarding dealerships at the moment as Absolute Sounds would no longer be the UK distributor at the end of the month. They don't know whether they will be getting Phantom's (or anything else for that matter) at the moment.

Just rang Harrods to check their pricing and returns policy. The Phantom Silver is £1690 and the Dialog £249 which works out about £500 more expensive for a pair with Dialog than buying direct at current exchange rates. They do have a 14 day returns policy but not if the items have been opened.

I also spoke to a Devialet UK based dealer who said everything is up in the air regarding dealerships at the moment as Absolute Sounds would no longer be the UK distributor at the end of the month. They don't know whether they will be getting Phantom's (or anything else for that matter) at the moment.

I'm not sure if they are going to be stocking Phantoms, but Noel Cloney Audio in Dublin sell Devialet. For that sort of price difference you could have a nice weekend in Dublin, take in a dem of the Phantoms (or any other Dev kit you fancy) & still be quids in. Just sayin.

Meh. I think Bub's just going through "the troubles" like all of us at this age I expect he shall hold aloft an uber turntable arm purchase soon.

...and then an argument
with graphs
oh god it never ends...

WRT Price reductions thats great news! Not only to make it sexier for new users but it makes a D200 companion unit affordable...

oh god it never ends...

I'm not sure if they are going to be stocking Phantoms, but Noel Cloney Audio in Dublin sell Devialet. For that sort of price difference you could have a nice weekend in Dublin, take in a dem of the Phantoms (or any other Dev kit you fancy) & still be quids in. Just sayin.

I'm over in Dublin this weekend so I will give them a ring but I don't think there are many dealers that have them. Devialet don't seem to have decided how to distribute the product yet ....

Devialet always made it clear from the outset that they would sell thought a few Satellite "boutique" department stores around the world and mail order direct. I really don't the traditional audiophile outlets are their intended audience, in the same Way Naim with Muso has all but completely eschewed the monkey-crap dance crowd. I think because they are made linn-style in an automated plant in France Devialet can't churn them out by the half billion if they had even atempted this in China -- keeping tabs on hardware QC which is critical for a device capable of exerting over a tonne of lo-def pressure out its back end. I think they are going for manageable expansion and that means limiting global retail outlets.

Devialet always made it clear from the outset that they would sell thought a few Satellite "boutique" department stores around the world and mail order direct. I really don't the traditional audiophile outlets are their intended audience, in the same Way Naim with Muso has all but completely eschewed the monkey-crap dance crowd. I think because they are made linn-style in an automated plant in France Devialet can't churn them out by the half billion if they had even atempted this in China -- keeping tabs on hardware QC which is critical for a device capable of exerting over a tonne of lo-def pressure out its back end. I think they are going for manageable expansion and that means limiting global retail outlets.

It will be interesting to see how they market and sell the Phantom. I can't really see it fitting into the traditional independent Hi-Fi retailer model but what's the alternative ? Selling direct is fine if you are a well established and well known brand but will people buy a £3000+ item without being able to return it if they don't like it ? Benchmark offer a 30 day trail in the US, maybe Devialet should consider something similar.

Devialet have a 14 day return policy but whether it is still valid if the product has been used is the question ...

Department stores are booming. HiFi Shops are not. Naim Audio is unknown to most shoppers outside of the enthusiast sphere and have chosen a similar path with the Muso. Remember also that these do not have to be sold in pairs they work just fine as mono speakers. They do not need the Dialog and the cost goes down to below Muso prices easily. Devialet is also investing in their own stores around the world starting this year. It sometimes works it sometimes does not. We shall see on that.

You need to simply remind any seller that distance selling regulations apply, in addition to this the Consumer Contracts Regulations that came into force in June 2014 provide additional assistance in turning goods that are not fit for the intended purpose. I swapped my opened and used Whites for Silvers with Colette. Additionally, paying with card enables chargeback protection in the event anyone wishes to renege in that bit of EU consumer law.

Department stores are booming. HiFi Shops are not.

I've just contacted Devialet to see if their return policy covers items that have been opened and used.

So ... You really think they are a match for ATC 100A's ? I could sell mine and my Benchmark DAC2 and have a nice bit of cash left over for cables ... :)

There's absolutely no question the return policy covers used items. European distance selling regulations mean that all national regulations must conform to a certain minimum standard, and allowing unpacking an item that you ordered via the internet or by telephone, and then trying it out, is exactly why those regulations were introduced. It makes up for the inability to physically examine an item in the store.

Occasionally, a manufacturer will try to wiggle out of this (a certain British brand comes to mind), but the rules are pretty clear.

There's absolutely no question the return policy covers used items. European distance selling regulations mean that all national regulations must conform to a certain minimum standard, and allowing unpacking an item that you ordered via the internet or by telephone, and then trying it out, is exactly why those regulations were introduced. It makes up for the inability to physically examine an item in the store.

Occasionally, a manufacturer will try to wiggle out of this (a certain British brand comes to mind), but the rules are pretty clear.

I had no problems in returning the artificial sounding ( despite rave reviews) Sony TA-1ES amplifier 30 day free return trial

Confirmed by Devialet support below ...

Now am I going to take the plunge ... My ATC's are compromised in my room, hard against the wall on either side of a chimney breast and firing into the short side of the room (13 feet). I only stream now and something smaller would be welcome but only if they can match the ATC's. If anyone else but Fox had said this I wouldn't even be considering it .. :confused:

Devialet Support (Devialet)

May 22, 10:14

Dear Paul,

Thank you for your message.

Indeed by the European law, any client purchasing online has a 14 days return acceptance. Meaning that before 14 days from the reception you can return the product without reason or cost, as long as the product is in the same original state;

You must also keep both the Product packaging and UPS box.

I hope this will help you il your decision

Best regards,

Customer Care

advertisement

Back
Top Bottom