advertisement

Devialet just gave us more watts

Agree on the Tannoys and the difference can be quite dramatic.

Not looked at SAM. Can it vary output impedance and damping with frequency?

Mike,

What would have been the amp of choice in the late 1950s in the UK? An EL84 amp of some description?

Joe

Nice Leak Stereo 50 Joe. A good one sounds lovely with Tannoys to my ears.

Mike,

Neato mosquito. If I ever come across one...

Joe

P.S. Mike -- If I were inclined to fiddle with my system, I'd be trying the Leben 300 and Berning 230 amps.

Very different kinds of products relative to the Devialet approach, but I think staying thermionic makes sense as long as I have Tannoys.

Joe

In this place (let alone the super insulated zero energy storage-of-not-a-lot-machine I appear to be moving into) the urge to throw off ones clothes when switching on the valve amps would too great to bear, so I do see the allure of the thermionic way, but its hard to get all serious and chin strokey to le musique plinque stark sweaty nekkid without invoking images of a skinny old guy pretending to be "the thinker".

It is for the best.

But I am no lover of stuff too heavy to lift at my age and condition.

With these sorts of systems using a Devialet with speakers from the 50s would gnaw at my craw until I either went back or went all the way forward and ended up with something... modern... and European... after all I was driving contemporary speakers with 22 year old American supercharged bottle monsters with an appetite for volts you would not fookin believe!

Just a. Quickie but has anyone seen the wall mounting kit? and here this is available?

a2abujeq.jpg

I am told that just four correctly spaced screws will do but I would rather trust a proper mounting plate...

The new Devialet firmware upgrade apparently increases the power output of the amps.
[...]
I'm mystified by this on two levels.
1) how do they do it?
[...]
Matt

Just found this on a link from the Devialet website to a HiFi+ review, which makes it sort-of-understandable for people like me !

"The power output (nominally 165W per channel into eight ohms) can be remapped (akin to ‘chipping’ a sports car’s engine management system) to deliver anything from 160-240W ..."

The full review is here:
http://www.hifiplus.com/articles/the-devialet-d-premier-integrated-ampdac-hifi-75/

linked from this Devialet page:
http://en.devialet.com/the-most-critically-acclaimed-audio-system-in-history/

Just a. Quickie but has anyone seen the wall mounting kit? and here this is available?

a2abujeq.jpg

I am told that just four correctly spaced screws will do but I would rather trust a proper mounting plate...

If it's available then it can be purchased
Just never seen one in the flesh or fitted one ?

a2abujeq.jpg

Yes I use a couple for my two D-Premiers (now a 500). Think they are around £70 each and available through UK dealers.

Ideally you need to build a frame, faced with acrylic or perspex, below the wall mount so that cable emerging from the D-Premier is concealed. Can make a very neat job and eliminate any rack if you just use a laptop as a digital source.

That's the plan. No rack, have cables in wall sorted... I can draw up a thing in solidworks and machine it from acrylic for less. Might backlight it just to show how fecking gauche I can be...

That's the plan. No rack, have cables in wall sorted... I can draw up a thing in solidworks and machine it from acrylic for less. Might backlight it just to show how fecking gauche I can be...

Yes but it won't have the Devialet name on it (which you cannot see, of course) which presumably improves the sound quality :confused:

Yes but it won't have the Devialet name on it (which you cannot see, of course) which presumably improves the sound quality :confused:

That doesn't matter. What does matter is you get the thing on the wall, away from a cat who falls asleep on the thing for four days while you are out at Munich and leaves a permanent mark of cat gob burned into the chrome finish.

Alan,

I feel your pain, man. The cat once barfed on me Hi-Cap.

Joe

Yes I use a couple for my two D-Premiers (now a 500). Think they are around £70 each and available through UK dealers.

Ideally you need to build a frame, faced with acrylic or perspex, below the wall mount so that cable emerging from the D-Premier is concealed. Can make a very neat job and eliminate any rack if you just use a laptop as a digital source.

I was quoted €370 which seems excessive especially when I have a builder on site with heavy duty wall fixings.

We have the socketry sorted already.

ta3equ3u.jpg

I shall tuck a draw string inside the pattress box brush cover in case I need yet more wire but it is all hidden as I can get it.

I don't like DIYing... I do not feel I am any good at it anymore.

I am obsessive about not seeing cables, I do not like them they make cleaning and vacuuming difficult and they are stupid ugly things, so I took great pains to ensure all the cables were ducted and placed in a conduit and their points of exit will be hidden from view. as I am a digital studio I am not concerned with patchbays and boutique effects, its all digitally Matrixed with 7u of stuff... I will have a mic box to drag to the middle of the room if I have in situ recordings.

My acoustician and I finished the composition space/studio wire last weekend just before the final paint and doors fitting and skirtings/architraves/banisters, the bedroom is above looking down, you can see where on the wall the Devialet will go, the line out will feed the ATCs, two systems for the price of one.

a9ebaqam.jpg

u3y5ygy5.jpg

4 ethernet just in the desk area (the room has 4 more), 2 hdmi (that can carry high bandwidth audio with a converter), two TOSlink 4 spdif or 2 analogue stereo, 7 balanced XLRs and two spaces for power a dedicated power feed. I'd has drag wires in case I need to add more or change configuration but for now I am set.

Devialet wall hanging at the end of the month if all goes well...

advertisement

Back