advertisement

Denon PMA 2500

I am a fan of Denon amps. I currently use, and have for several years now, a PMA850 from the late 1970's. I have also owned several other Denons and they consistently drive the speakers I have owned with minimal fuss. They work day in and day out, with total reliability. Their sound is neutral, clean and uncoloured. If that is what you are looking for then you need look no further. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend their gear.

I bought Rob’s ( Hoopsontoast) 2500 nearly three weeks ago. In that time my reaction has changed from one of mild affection to absolute adoration. I don’t like the term but it is ‘musical’, it plays music with life and brio with the added benefit of being a one stop box. It is beautifully built and weighs in at c 25kg. Mine is connected to a pair of 20 year old Kef Reference floorstanders and my sons and friends say it’s the best they’ve ever heard music reproduced. It is powerful but subtle...as you can tell I’m a huge fan.

I bought Rob’s ( Hoopsontoast) 2500 nearly three weeks ago. In that time my reaction has changed from one of mild affection to absolute adoration. I don’t like the term but it is ‘musical’, it plays music with life and brio with the added benefit of being a one stop box. It is beautifully built and weighs in at c 25kg. Mine is connected to a pair of 20 year old Kef Reference floorstanders and my sons and friends say it’s the best they’ve ever heard music reproduced. It is powerful but subtle...as you can tell I’m a huge fan.

Glad to see (or hear) you are still enjoying it. I certainly would have kept it much longer had I kept my KEF 201/2s, that really was a perfect match.

I tried both inputs. My old at32e(now deceased) sounded the best I've ever heard it.
My 2M Bronze sounded harsh - I reckon the MM input has too much capacitance for the 2Ms. I'm sure less fussy MMs would be fine.

That said, it was new. I should try it again with the Black.

Still have my 1600NE but have changed speakers to Dynaudio Anniversary 40s. There's quite a bit of advice on the internet that these speakers require more power. Was thinking of an amp change. Interestingly, whilst reading a few reviews re more powerful amps came across something I'd read about the 2500SE that reckons it's more powerful than stated by the manufacturer.

Any thoughts contributers to this thread?

hi_fi_news_pma2500_review.jpg

I compared both, they had the same sonic footprint. 2500 obviously a bit more oomph - which I didn't need with my Proacs.

And tbh it was out of my price range. As an addendum to my previous posts, I'm trying the MM input after rebuilding my t/t. It is excellent.

Bit of a tussle going on atm.

I only really used my 2500NE in anger with the KEF 201/2 and certainly did not find them wanting for more power.

I contacted Denon about the match between the 1600NE and Dynaudios and to be fair they got back to me quickly and said that at higher volumes the 1600 might struggle. They didn't suggest going up to the 2500 but I've contacted them to see what they think. I'm very attached to the Denon so would consider getting the 2500. Obviously I'm a bit concerned that I'm having a big fuss about nothing.

Have also had a think about going back to Hegel (had the H90 before the Denon) and trying out the H190 but not sure about all that: Denon appeals as it is a one-box solution.

advertisement

Back