advertisement

Denon PMA 2500

TBH I didn't notice any. It sounded great from the start and still does.

If there is, it's so incremental I didn't notice. lol
It did respond to a change in speaker cable. will pm.

If the Dac is as good as a 2qute then it's really a bargain..

I'm not saying it's as good, certainly different. Just good enough for me.

Probably because sotm released a firmware upgrade for the/my sotm200 and it's improved the sound quality. imo

That has helped.

I had the 1600 for a few months - in an attempt to reduce the box count in the newly refurbished sitting room. It is indeed a very solid beast. I never quite warmed to the DAC (I didn't use any of the analogue inputs to any great extent), disliked the small dotty display, plasticy knobs and the slo-mo clacking of relays when switching inputs. On reflection, I used it with a pair of small Dalis, so may not have given it a chance to show its true sonic colours.

Been listening on and off for a few hours now so still early days.

I think my rega P3 is happier with the Edwards Audio Apprentice MM phono stage so that's been connected up again and put into the amp; without everything sounded a bit supressed, and there was a bit of static. I moved the amp first as far from the turntable as the connections would allow but this didn't work (static-wise).

Listening to The Hissing of Summer Lawns and is no doubt better with the Edwards.

This is a bit of a set-back as I was hoping that the phono stage in the amp would work for me (one less box etc). But, it's not a major concern. I can now move the amp further from the turnatable too and the phono stage and the amp seem to be happy partners.

Reactions: mww
I have one at the moment, its an excellent integrated amplifier.

Loads of inputs, really good DAC (IMO) and great MM/MC phonostage as well. Its pretty big so make sure you have enough room for it but it does not get hot and is easy to live with as it has a decent remote and good controls layout.
Sound wise, its excellent, a real just good all-rounder. I can't fault it, used with my previous KEF Reference 201/2 speakers, more than enough power and just gets on with the job of making the music louder.

I'm only looking to change at some point to something more compact and I don't need all the inputs or power on tap for my current speakers.

A few years ago, I also had the previous model, the PMA-2000AE which is pretty much the same just minus the DAC.

System
by Robert Seymour, on Flickr

System
by Robert Seymour, on Flickr
I have the PMA-2000AE for a future back up it was under a year old when bought for £500. Very natural sound and as much grunt as you will ever need. Have a shop with a high-end Yamaha amp at the moment these amps are great as you can run two sets of speakers at the same time.

Last weekend I bought Rob’s (Hoopsontoast) 2500 and am delighted with it. A great all in one unit, I no longer have separate pre and power amps plus DAC and the sound quality is excellent. I have a pair of elderly Kef RDM3 speakers which it drives with aplomb, they appreciate lots of watts through them.

As the alternative I was considering was a Teddy Pardo pre I am very glad I tried this out. I don’t really want kit that is no longer made or whose future servicing is in question.

Last weekend I bought Rob’s (Hoopsontoast) 2500 and am delighted with it. A great all in one unit, I no longer have separate pre and power amps plus DAC and the sound quality is excellent. I have a pair of elderly Kef RDM3 speakers which it drives with aplomb, they appreciate lots of watts through them.

As the alternative I was considering was a Teddy Pardo pre I am very glad I tried this out. I don’t really want kit that is no longer made or whose future servicing is in question.

Clive, glad to hear you are happy with it! Pleasure to deal with you :)

Hallo all, i have the Denon PMA-1520AE and use it as a Power Amp (the new 1600 can’t do this),
the preamp is a tube china marantz7 clone, loudspeakers are tannoy dc4. As second System i have a 202/200 with Allae, but this system have more dynamic (mosfets of the PMA?),
so what i wanted to say is: the Denon is also a fantastic Power Amp :)
Sorry for my bad english, Tom from Austria (not Australia :))

I’ve been reading this thread with interest because I would never consider a Denon - Yamaha yes - but not a Denon.

I’ve gotta admit the Yamaha wins on looks big time - so can anyone describe how the Denon sounds in the way it portrays music? And has anyone compared the higher end Yamahas with the Denon?

I’ve been reading this thread with interest because I would never consider a Denon - Yamaha yes - but not a Denon.

I’ve gotta admit the Yamaha wins on looks big time - so can anyone describe how the Denon sounds in the way it portrays music? And has anyone compared the higher end Yamahas with the Denon?

I'm crap at describing sound but..

It's detailed and spacious without not hint of harshness even when pushed. Tho' the last time I did the road outside cracked.

Bottom end has detail and a grip I've never had with any amp before, including £4k of Naim back in the day.

It doesn't seem to add any character to the sound, so you just hear the recording/music.
And it bangs out a tune better than the aforementioned Naim(from memory) and my Expo Super xx. Which was a bit of a shock TBH.

I compared it to the 2500, but I didn't need the power. Wasn't much in it IIRC.

Dac sounds good and the MC input. Sadly too much MM capacitance for my 2M Black - my only niggle.

I dont normally enthuse over my kit because everyones experience is different, but I'm happy to with the Denon.

Finally, yes, it's a black hole of a lump, who cares? lol

Never had a Yamaha, but I had several japanese amplifiers, generally speaking they are neutral, they don't color much the sound, that's why many audiophile consider them nonmusical.
The only difference between high end Yamaha and Denon, is marketing.
Denon seems the brand that don't care much about reviews, maybe they pay less, but they do their job and I don't see many other brands using better parts, Denon Japan only amplifiers are comparable only to Accuphase.

I came across the PMA1600SE whilst looking for reviews of the Hegel H90. Both amps appeared in a group test by Hifi Choice. At that time I couldn't find anyone local who stocked them to arrange a home trial.

I opted for the H90 in the end.

Fast forward a few months and whilst returning some cables to a local dealer they suggested I give the PMA2500SE a trial at home and have to say was impressed though felt it was a bit too powerful and too big.

Lazycat has provided me with some advice re the smaller 1600 and based on my experience with the 2500 and his experiences I bought the 1600. Have to agree with his comments above.

For most of my time Denon have been off my radar but in that £1,000-£1,500 range this is as good as I've heard so I'm glad to have made their acquaintance.

Does anyone know, have some insight in difference between 2020ae and 2500ne ? Only new thing about 2500ne on Denon web page was - The protection circuitry for the power amp output stage has also been considerably improved. The current limiter has been eliminated in favour of a system that monitors power transistor temperature changes in real time, and the current capacity of driver stage transistors has been boosted to 2.0A from 1.5A. As a result, the instantaneous current supply capability of the amp has been more than doubled (110A) compared to conventional designs and speaker drivability has been dramatically improved (damping factor: greater than 700, 20 Hz – 20 kHz).
How important is it? Can it be noticeable at average listening level?

advertisement

Back