advertisement

Denon PMA 2500

Sonci

pfm Member
Any experience with this integrated? Denon is not popular among audiophiles, but the built quality seems top notch.
I am looking for a new dac, but also want to cut out some boxes, so this one can be all in one solution.
There’s also the high end SX series but way out of my budget..

Last edited:
I have one at the moment, its an excellent integrated amplifier.

Loads of inputs, really good DAC (IMO) and great MM/MC phonostage as well. Its pretty big so make sure you have enough room for it but it does not get hot and is easy to live with as it has a decent remote and good controls layout.
Sound wise, its excellent, a real just good all-rounder. I can't fault it, used with my previous KEF Reference 201/2 speakers, more than enough power and just gets on with the job of making the music louder.

I'm only looking to change at some point to something more compact and I don't need all the inputs or power on tap for my current speakers.

A few years ago, I also had the previous model, the PMA-2000AE which is pretty much the same just minus the DAC.

System
by Robert Seymour, on Flickr

System

FWIW I've been using a PMA1600 for the past year. I can't fault it either, sounds great.

Ditto to everything Hoops said.

Any experience with this integrated? Denon is not popular among audiophiles, but the built quality seems top notch.
I am looking for a new dac, but also want to cut out some boxes, so this one can be all in one solution.
There’s also the high end SX series but way out of my budget..
I don't know why you think Denon wouldn't be popular amongst the Hifi community.? They make excellent, very well built equipment. If Denon wasn't popular I can only think it must be snobbery.

Denon has always made good stuff, from the best in budget to high end.

I don't know why you think Denon wouldn't be popular amongst the Hifi community.? They make excellent, very well built equipment. If Denon wasn't popular I can only think it must be snobbery.
I love them, but still they are a bit overlooked even between japanese brands, Yamaha or Marantz seem more HiFi oriented while Denon more AV..
I have a Denon integrated, that is still going strong after maybe 20 years.

I've had one ( PMA-2500NE) on home demo this week and have been very impressed. it weighs about 25kg and takes up a lot of space so that needs to be taken into consideration. Not sure if i will go for it, and would like to hear the PMA-1600NE as some reviews say they are pretty close but the latter is a lot cheaper. Also it may be a bit too powerful for my Audio Note AZ 2 speakers. I currently have a Hegel H90 which works well. I was attracted to the Denon as it's a one (big) box solution.

I have one at the moment, its an excellent integrated amplifier.

Loads of inputs, really good DAC (IMO) and great MM/MC phonostage as well. Its pretty big so make sure you have enough room for it but it does not get hot and is easy to live with as it has a decent remote and good controls layout.
Sound wise, its excellent, a real just good all-rounder. I can't fault it, used with my previous KEF Reference 201/2 speakers, more than enough power and just gets on with the job of making the music louder.

I'm only looking to change at some point to something more compact and I don't need all the inputs or power on tap for my current speakers.

A few years ago, I also had the previous model, the PMA-2000AE which is pretty much the same just minus the DAC.

System

System

Wait what, has the P9 gone then Rob?

I've had one ( PMA-2500NE) on home demo this week and have been very impressed. it weighs about 25kg and takes up a lot of space so that needs to be taken into consideration. Not sure if i will go for it, and would like to hear the PMA-1600NE as some reviews say they are pretty close but the latter is a lot cheaper. Also it may be a bit too powerful for my Audio Note AZ 2 speakers. I currently have a Hegel H90 which works well. I was attracted to the Denon as it's a one (big) box solution.

The 2500 is pretty meaty. I bought the 1600 because my Proacs are quite efficient and it drives them with aplomb, with power to spare.

There are few 'new' bargains in hifi. This is one of them. IMHO

Wait what, has the P9 gone then Rob?

Nope, the P9 is still here, although not getting as much use as it deserves. I had thought about downsizing that as well due to the large powersuply but I love it so much.
I also have the Rega R9 speakers too, with a friend on long term loan, I really can't bare to sell them even though they are not getting used by me for the foreseable future.

Yes, the PMA 1600 seems a better deal, even the dac is the same.
I don’t get why they removed the pre out from both units, it’s much easier to connect a sub.

Yes, the PMA 1600 seems a better deal, even the dac is the same.
I don’t get why they removed the pre out from both units, it’s much easier to connect a sub.

Yes, I agree, the older PMA-2000AE I had both Pre Out and Main in for extra flexibility. I'd say that the PMA-1600NE would be a great choice if you don't need the extra power, its certainly nice to have on tap with the 2500NE. My speakers at around ~97dB certainly are not using it to its potential, the KEF 201/2 however, it was an excellent match, much better than the similar (on paper) Rega Cursa / Maia combo I had before.

The 2500 is pretty meaty. I bought the 1600 because my Proacs are quite efficient and it drives them with aplomb, with power to spare.

Thanks, Lazycat. so would you say sound-wise not much to separate them?

Thanks, Lazycat. so would you say sound-wise not much to separate them?

Not unless you've got inefficient speakers and a massive room. The dac is excellent - I did try a 2qute but I've just sold it - hopefully.

Phono stage is excellent unless you have a fussy cart. It made my 2M sound a bit spitty but my at32e (yup, old skool) is the best I've heard it.

2M black/g.slee thru it has given the best vinyl sound I've ever had.

And that includes £4k of Naim and a LP12 back in the day.

Hi Lazy Cat, my Denon PMA1600se has just arrived (20 mins ago). Sounds pretty good straight from the box.

In terms of power surely it's massive overkill for those Audio Note speakers (which I really like)

In terms of power surely it's massive overkill for those Audio Note speakers (which I really like)

Time will tell: not able to turn the volume control too far so you have a point.

I have the Hegel H90 too and that has been good so far with the Audio Notes but have been hankering after a Japanese integrated (not entirely sure why but probably because that's what i had for most of my hifi-owning life- Rotel, Marantz).

Will keep the thread posted

advertisement

Back