advertisement

degradation of magnet in Troika MC cartridge???

And as thin with end mounted dimond ? If so I don't actually know of any real world examples of your theoretical position , do you ?

Most modestly priced Shure, Ortofon and Stanton cartidges. Go and have a look.
With good tooling, easy with mass produced items, hard with hand made, a tube can be nicely terminated at both diamond and sensor end. It has to be clever to keep the tip mass low though.
Tip mass is where boron -may- have an advantage, not stiffness or lightness.

Most of the ones you mention have a platform plateau at the end of the cantilever and then the dimond shoved through a hole in the platform , I don't think this affords the same quality of sound.

ortofon save boron for their top of the range cartridges mc jubilee, MC Anna , MC Anniversary, A90 and the one which is modern day spu whose name I have forgotten , but It plugs in to the tone arm as opposed to have cartridge clips -

Most of the ones you mention have a platform plateau at the end of the cantilever and then the dimond shoved through a hole in the platform , I don't think this affords the same quality of sound.

ortofon save boron for their top of the range cartridges mc jubilee, MC Anna , MC Anniversary, A90 and the one which is modern day spu whose name I have forgotten , but It plugs in to the tone arm as opposed to have cartridge clips - for example .

There is a nice way of terminating the tube which keeps it stiff in bending and turns it at an angle such that the contact point of the stylus is nearer the neutral axis of the cantilever, reducing torsional forces on the suspension.
I know Ortofon use boron, since I have a Jubilee and an A90 but I have them because of the stylus profile not the cantilever design.
As I have written I am not convinced that an ally tube is not technically equal to a boron rod though.

Other well engineered stylus cantilever assemblies I like are the Soundsmith, latterly B&O units. They have tapered hollow ally or sapphire tubes.

I have looked at a few pictures of stylus/cantilever junctions and a disappointingly large number of the rod type cantilevers have a large offset between contact point and neutral axis, which will produce its own problems, and huge heavy blobs of glue fixing the stylus, which is really b-a-d technically.

It is decades since I was designing vibration transducers but AFAIK the basic physics applying to this area hasn't changed in this time.

Gerald, I fail to understand how you have not been banned for thread crapping - this topic started as one thing, you decided to swoop in from a great height & shit on it based on lack of empirical evidence, your "thesis" has (I think?) now been pretty much ruled out, so now you continue arguing about something completely unrelated.

Tony has the patience of a saint IMO, you'd be long gone under my regime (if I had enough community spirit/gumption to actually host such a successful forum!...and then actively monitor it...).

From my perspective, I will again revert to the following approach, "Oh, Gerald just posted on this thread, time to leave". Shame really, if you could only push boundaries in a non-confrontational manner...

Richard

Edit: I use the word "arguing" above - I guess from your perspective this is just conversation...and therein lies the root cause of most people's pissed-off-isniss...maybe, and IMVHO... :D

Could a cantilever be "grown" out of bone these days?. A birds bone is a remarkably strong and stiff structure for its mass

Gerald, I fail to understand how you have not been banned for thread crapping - this topic started as one thing, you decided to swoop in from a great height & shit on it based on lack of empirical evidence, your "thesis" has (I think?) now been pretty much ruled out, so now you continue arguing about something completely unrelated.

Tony has the patience of a saint IMO, you'd be long gone under my regime (if I had enough community spirit/gumption to actually host such a successful forum!...and then actively monitor it...).

From my perspective, I will again revert to the following approach, "Oh, Gerald just posted on this thread, time to leave". Shame really, if you could only push boundaries in a non-confrontational manner...

Richard

Edit: I use the word "arguing" above - I guess from your perspective this is just conversation...and therein lies the root cause of most people's pissed-off-isniss...maybe, and IMVHO... :D

One wonders as to your motivation , however reviewing your posts , they are somewhat befitting of your location , neutral shall we say .

Hifi is full of foo and 2nd hand opinion passing as fact [ usually espoused by people who read it in a magazine 20 years ago ] You must forgive Gerald if he seeks the truth , he is pompous enough to consider it a social service and of interest to more people than just himself . Seeking the truth in a none confrontational manner , aint that an oxymoron ?

best regards .

P.s - I do believe there is a thing called an ignore button , currently you are analogous to Mary Whitehouse , complaining about sex on TV but watching it nite after nite .

PPS - If you read the thread you will see that any reasonable and proportionate person will observe it switched from six people agreeing with each other slapping themselves on the back for being rhetorically correct , to one in which interesting , useful and factual knowledge was imparted to reader in a sustained effort to prove I was talking bollocks . Ding Dong .

I'll offer a half-assed apology Gerald - I'd just finished closing 2013 accounts when I typed the above, not the best frame of mind :)

I agree that more information came out as a result of your high-level cluster-crap, but not with how you achieved it.

Richard

advertisement

Back