advertisement

Dedicated Mains / Memera / Roy K Riches

"The lion betrays itself by its claw....."

Here I refer to Mike Stock, whose inimitable style of posting brings to mind another famous individual (on several forums) ....do we have here a case of mistaken identity?........the word "troll" springs to mind
Hi Laurie,

I was thinking exactly the same.

I think ultimately and from a male perspective Kasp if you are fitting electric's from scratch obviously go for the phattest one available.

obviously go for the phattest one available.

whoa yeeeeeah.
jaynodpr5.gif

Can anyone with RKR installs tell me if they have noticed a perceptible drop in hiss produced while an amp is idling? (No preamp volume)... I am not interested in any claimed musical benefits but anything that drops the ambient noise floor even by a small degree is worthwhile.

Can’t say I’ve noticed. Wouldn’t that sort of hiss have more to do with the components? A worn capacitor or something??

I will switch over to my old MusicWorks block into ring socket at the weekend to do an A/B.

Dear Fox,

People are too busy slanging each other to address your interesting plight. You don't mention which input (phono?) you get this hiss on. If it's many inputs, there's a major mismatch somewhere. If just phono (direct from cart to pre?), it's the paucity of output from your cart, or lack of sensitivity in your pre. Dedicated mains a la RKR or whatever is probably only going to exacerbate a mismatch, I'm afraid to say. More details needed, I think, for those helpful PFM evangelists to diagnose your problem and offer solutions.

I don't have a plight -- far less a problem but I thought I'd ask as many seem to have quite hissy setups to me when idling/muted. I'm talking about the hiss from speakers when (say a Naim Power amp is on) -- irrespective of input.

What I'm thinking of is generally very low-level and sub audible at listening positions (you need to stick your ears near speaker to hear it) but that is the sort of thing I'd probably find more useful than anything else.

I'm serious, my ANe's were plagued by a faint humming sound - got RKR in and he discovered an umpa lumpa lodged in the bass port

KP - a snaic indeed!!!

Darren

quite hissy setups

I suggest you start a new thread "taking the hiss out of my speakers..." my system is just the same, hiss wise, before and after...

Neweniair (if spelt correctly) was the place I got the 10mm flex from Fox use the code I gave you to get the cable... It is aright pain to fit to the wattgates though... maybe 6mm is the better choice and is still 48 amp cable :D

If you are taking what RKR has done for the UK to the USA, I would have a 20+ amp circuit PER piece of hifi and terminate each with a wattgate (no plugs or extra contacts) straight into each piece of HiFi... If they do larger than 20 Amps use the largest available with corresponding ampage cable to each wattgate. I spoke with Roy about this last night and he has 70+ people around the globe, not just UK who are doing this and finding benefit. Even places with spurts only like USA and europe.

John,

FWIW, every multiple line install I've been involved with here in the US sounded slightly worse than its single-line counterpart. Most of the installs were all Linn or Naim components or hybrids of both. There seems to be a trade-off between less IM(?) distortion w/multiple lines vs. "my records are all over the floor and I'm not going to work tomorrow so I can stay home and spin more disks" with a single line. To be honest, I have heard that unequal lengths (especially concerning the ground wire) between lines may contribute to these findings but I have yet to hear an install where this was attended to.

Like anything else I'm sure there are exceptions as well. If nothing else, having your electrician install multiple lines during one service call is cheaper from a labor standpoint vs. getting him back out should the What-If Demon starts nagging;-)

just my two cents;-)

dave

hi,could someone please tell me which mcb roy k recommends is it 32 amp or 45 amp. thanks

Haven't you heard?

Roy's gone nuclear. He picked up a second hand reactor and has installed it in his shed. The Hi-Fi is also in the shed, directly connected to the main turbine, thus eliminating each and every fuse in the chain. He has approx 500 MW on tap, but hopes to double this as it will obviously sound twice as good. An added bonus is that the neighbours no longer complain about the racket from his Hi-Fi - at last, a positive benefit of radiation poisoning.

Mr Tibbs

151- it depends on wire sizes and how the wire is mounted (surface or enclosed). 6mm2 wire allows up to a 32A MCB; 10mm2 can be allowed a 45A MCB - both when surface-mounted IIRC. Check with your sparky or the current IEE regs (BS7671)

Dont' worry too much about the current rating though, because a Type B MCB (normal for domestic use) will allow transients of 10x the rating to pass for very short periods; that's a huge amount of energy. Just ensure the MCB rating is appropriate to the wire size and install condition you are using.

Tibbsy - My current project has a dual-mono supplies, that's two 1MVA transformers and everything ;)

advertisement

Back