Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

DACS with less than 2V output gain?

Discussion in 'audio' started by eastone, Apr 7, 2021.

1. eastone

eastone pfm Member

Can anyone think of desktop DACs that don’t have 2V or more at the RCA outputs?

I want to use a vintage amp in the home office but it’s really sensitive. I can live with it, but the ideal solution would be a lower output DAC.

Currently just using the headphone output from Mac Mini.

Not looking to spend a lot, and don’t want to modify the amplifier, at this stage anyway.

2. Yomanze

Yomanze pfm Member

MUTTY1, Mike P and Sue Pertwee-Tyr like this.
  3. eastone

eastone pfm Member

I do have a little homemade pot in a box that I can use.

I thought that a separate DAC would bring a sonic benefit over the headphone out, and would surely be better than sticking two pots (or attenuators) in series...?

4. Vinny

Vinny pfm Member

Attenuators are far from being a simple resistor/pot'. They are simple, but not that simple. (They are also directional.)

5. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

The RME ADI-2-DAC FS is adjustable either to a fixed level or variable via a front volume control

joe9407 and eastone like this.
  6. Wilson

Wilson SCTV half wit

7. badlyread

badlyread pfm Member

Chord Qutest can be set to 1V. Fantastic DAC, using it with my Nait 2.

ALFY, Tim Jones and HiFiman like this.
  8. Dan K

Dan K pfm Member

You could build your own attenuators. Nothing more than a pair of 1/2 watt resistors as a voltage divider on the output.

Takman carbon films are nice

9. eastone

eastone pfm Member

Hi Dan. Hoping to avoid attenuating, since the amp has a volume control - I’ll be attenuating twice. Maybe these things don’t make a difference but seems more logical / preferable to have lower gain signal straight from the dac?

Or is that wrong?

10. eastone

eastone pfm Member

Does this make them a good idea or not so much?

11. eastone

eastone pfm Member

Yes, 1V would be ideal but it’s too expensive for this application unfortunately.

12. marshanp

marshanp ellipsis addict

TEAC UD-503 is a possibility - recently superseded by the UD-505, so probably secondhand at reasonable cost. It has
    a digitally controlled variable analogue output with up to 40dB of reduction available in 0.5dB steps, so 1.0V is easily achievable.

I'm very happy with mine, which I use to provide my system volume control. It has a line input too, so is usable as a preamp/source selector.

eastone likes this.
  13. James Evans

James Evans Bedroom Bodger

Rasp pi/allo boss allows setting to 1V, certainly via Moode anyway. Probably not applicable to your application though!

eastone likes this.
  14. Seanm

Seanm pfm Member

I wonder what the fixed output of the Dragonfly Black is? I found that worked well as a desktop DAC into a preamp, certainly better than the MacBook headphone Jack, and I usually just used the laptop for volume rather than reaching for the preamp.

15. Cav

Cav pfm Member

Is it not received wisdom to have max output from the source and the use the amp volume to attenuate the signal down?

eastone likes this.
  16. Vinny

Vinny pfm Member

I have not, but lots ofpeople do use them and have no issue at all when doing so.

eastone likes this.
  17. marshanp

marshanp ellipsis addict

Maximum output that doesn't overload amplifier input?

(and allows a reasonable amount of volume control travel...)

eastone likes this.
  18. JensenHealey

JensenHealey pfm Member

The Pro-Ject Pre Dac S2 jobby has variable output and is small, inexpensive and good. Probably more versatile than the OP really needs but can be hidden away if you are not fiddling with the settings. I use one with a Mac Mini and it will happily run from the 5V USB that is the signal too - so do not need the external power supply.

eastone likes this.
  19. Fergus

Fergus pfm Member

eastone likes this.
  20. k90tour

k90tour pfm Member

They are directional? Could you explain that to me please, if you don't mind?
    I cannot understand why.
    I ask as I'm building my own passive with a stepped attenuator.