advertisement

DACS with less than 2V output gain?

eastone

pfm Member
Can anyone think of desktop DACs that don’t have 2V or more at the RCA outputs?

I want to use a vintage amp in the home office but it’s really sensitive. I can live with it, but the ideal solution would be a lower output DAC.

Currently just using the headphone output from Mac Mini.

Not looking to spend a lot, and don’t want to modify the amplifier, at this stage anyway.

I do have a little homemade pot in a box that I can use.

I thought that a separate DAC would bring a sonic benefit over the headphone out, and would surely be better than sticking two pots (or attenuators) in series...?

Attenuators are far from being a simple resistor/pot'. They are simple, but not that simple. (They are also directional.)

I want to use a vintage amp in the home office but it’s really sensitive. I can live with it, but the ideal solution would be a lower output DAC.

Not looking to spend a lot, and don’t want to modify the amplifier, at this stage anyway.

The RME ADI-2-DAC FS is adjustable either to a fixed level or variable via a front volume control

You could build your own attenuators. Nothing more than a pair of 1/2 watt resistors as a voltage divider on the output.

Takman carbon films are nice

You could build your own attenuators. Nothing more than a pair of 1/2 watt resistors as a voltage divider on the output.

Takman carbon films are nice

Hi Dan. Hoping to avoid attenuating, since the amp has a volume control - I’ll be attenuating twice. Maybe these things don’t make a difference but seems more logical / preferable to have lower gain signal straight from the dac?

Or is that wrong?

TEAC UD-503 is a possibility - recently superseded by the UD-505, so probably secondhand at reasonable cost. It has
a digitally controlled variable analogue output with up to 40dB of reduction available in 0.5dB steps, so 1.0V is easily achievable.

I'm very happy with mine, which I use to provide my system volume control. It has a line input too, so is usable as a preamp/source selector.

I wonder what the fixed output of the Dragonfly Black is? I found that worked well as a desktop DAC into a preamp, certainly better than the MacBook headphone Jack, and I usually just used the laptop for volume rather than reaching for the preamp.

Is it not received wisdom to have max output from the source and the use the amp volume to attenuate the signal down?

The Pro-Ject Pre Dac S2 jobby has variable output and is small, inexpensive and good. Probably more versatile than the OP really needs but can be hidden away if you are not fiddling with the settings. I use one with a Mac Mini and it will happily run from the 5V USB that is the signal too - so do not need the external power supply.

Attenuators are far from being a simple resistor/pot'. They are simple, but not that simple. (They are also directional.)
They are directional? Could you explain that to me please, if you don't mind?
I cannot understand why.
I ask as I'm building my own passive with a stepped attenuator.

advertisement

Back