Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

DACS with less than 2V output gain?

Discussion in 'audio' started by eastone, Apr 7, 2021.

1. k90tour

k90tour pfm Member

Sorry to interrupt this thread.

2. Vinny

Vinny pfm Member

Not simply :)
    I had always asssumed that they were just resistors, but they aren't. I looked them up on good ol' Wiki and all was revealed - they are simple, but not that simple, but there are different designs/principles.
    This was flagged-up to me a while ago here, as someone actually had their attenuators the wrong way round. I am pretty sure Jez sussed what was up.
    Because they (usually) have a male RCA one end and female the other, they are meant to be fitted at one end or the other of an IC - changing the end, changes their "polarity". So far as I am aware, both types are available.

3. k90tour

k90tour pfm Member

Ah. Ok. I think I'm on the right track. I was wondering if the resistors themselves are directional. I believe they become so once burned in. I'm just hooking up a 1-setting only attenuator without a switch involved. Just a pure voltage divider.

4. k90tour

k90tour pfm Member

I had an Audio Note DAC with a 3.0V output , which was too much. They sent me a wiring diagram so that I could change a resistor near the RCA sockets.

eastone likes this.
  5. eastone

eastone pfm Member

I’m going to try the Calyx Coffee that Fergus kindly offered. 1.3V from the headphone out - should do nicely. :)

6. Yank

Yank Bulbous Also Tapered

It's not so much that they're "directional" as the attenuator circuit has an input side and an output side, even with just two resistors.

miktec and martin clark like this.
  7. martin clark

martin clark pinko bodger

^1 exactly that.

Used the 'wrong way round' does not provide any attenuation, it just loads down the source a bit (which it should shrug-off) and adds a little series impedance.

So such passive attentuators are 'directional' only in the sense that used correctly, reduces signal amplitude on the output; used incorrectly, they wont!

Agree - not necessarily intuitive as a black box which is wholly passive and inherently 'linear',; but a nice little logic puzzle.

8. ALFY

ALFY pfm Member

Yes as mentioned
    Qutest
    Chord Qutest can be set to 1V

k90tour likes this.