advertisement

DAC tour

@1964meb - the JK32 is the version before the Ciunas DAC & ISO-DAC is the version after the Ciunas DAC.
The Ciunas DAC was a significant upgrade on the JK32 & the ISO-DAC was again a significant upgrade in sound on the Ciunas DAC

I believe the ISO-DAC would better the Mojo but then I'm biased so why would you believe me? Only way is to compare the two

Due to this thread I’m interested in your DAC and visited yesterday your website.

I have to admit I find your pages quite confusing. A lot of information (too much technical details) but no clear connection layouts.

I still fully don’t understand how the battery power connection needs to be set up and how the three of four USB ports function (one can be used for the power connection I understood)?

Under “support” one can find links to “user instructions“. Maybe they include connection layouts, but the links don’t work (at least on my IPAD).

Sorry for the rant, but visiting your website was a very frustating experience.

Due to this thread I’m interested in your DAC and visited yesterday your website.
Thanks

I have to admit I find your pages quite confusing. A lot of information (too much technical details) but no clear connection layouts.
Sorry to hear that - I try to be informative rather than just marketing messages (that's on the first splash page).
Do you mean by "connection layouts" how the DAC is connected between computer & amplifier? It simply takes a USB connection from your computer's USB port & the stereo analogue outs of the DAC go to preamp/amp inputs.

I still fully don’t understand how the battery power connection needs to be set up and how the three of four USB ports function (one can be used for the power connection I understood)?
I guess this is the most confusing element of the ISO-DAC? It is actually two separate devices in one - an isolated DAC connected as above & an isolated USB hub. There is a DC input socket for power which continuously charges the batteries.

This hub can be ignored altogether but if you want to use it, it provides isolated USB connection for any USB devices (USB storage i.e USB sticks or drives or other USB DACs or converters). Most USB devices require 5V on the USB cable & I suggest that a 5V PS can be plugged into one of these 4 USB ports which will then provide 5V on the other 3 ports

Under “support” one can find links to “user instructions“. Maybe they include connection layouts, but the links don’t work (at least on my IPAD).
These links all work fine on all my PCs - it directs to a google drive document which I believe is supported on Mac so I don't know what the problem with your ipad is

Sorry to hear that but thanks for the feedback & I will look into improving it

I tested this unit earlier in the tour and found much as you - it was not entirely obvious how it all went together - and I could not see the point in the extra USB sockets. There is an opportunity to make some decent diagrams that explain how it all goes together.

Still - it sounded great.

As I said, the ISO-DAC is connected like any other USB DAC - USB signals come from computer USB port type A output to ISO-DAC USB type B input through a USB cable (Type A plug at one end & Type B plug at other. Analogue out stereo signal comes out of RCA sockets on the back. Not sure what more is needed?

You can see the back of the ISO-DAC

ISO_DAC_rear.jpg

The ISO-DAC is a DAC combined with a isolated USB HUB

The HUB part of the ISO-DAC is just like any other USB hub - USB signals come from computer USB port output to ISO-DAC USB input through a USB cable (Type A plug at one end & Type B plug at other) & the 4 USB ports at the back are now available to the computer as if you had an extra 4 USB ports. You can connect any USB device to these ports just as if they were internal USB ports of your computer. So you can use them like you would any other USB port - the only difference is that they are using isolated (cleaner) USB signals.

This is a diagram of a USB hub:
hub_access_1.png

Hope this helps? Although if I just dropped the Hub function it might clarify matters?

I'm another big fan of this kit, who also thinks it's underserved by the website and 'printed' matter. A good graphic designer could do wonders here!

...I suspect that as the designer, John, you will inevitably understand what's supposed to be being communicated by the instructions etc, yet fail to see what's not being communicated. A good graphic designer who has distance from the actual production would be better able to see things from a customers perspective.

Yea, I know being too close to the product, it's easy to fall into the trap of missing some fundamental information!
As I said, I could simplify it all by just excluding the HUB functionality altogether from the ISO-DAC & ISO-SPDIF rather than telling people to just ignore it is there?

I'm sure the website & documentation could do with a lot of work - I'll look into improving it - thanks for the feedback.

The idea of sending the ISO-DAC on tour was to give people the opportunity to hear what USB isolation brings to the party.

So far most people have listened the DAC itself & liked what they heard but one could ignore the DAC section & use the hub section to insert between computer & your existing USB DAC.

In other words plug your own USB DAC into any of the 4 USB ports on the ISO-DAC & connect the ISO-DAC to your computer's USB port. Your DAC will be seen by the computer & audio can be routed to it in the way you would usually, using whatever playback software you use.

Dear Ciunas Audio,

first, thanks for your replies.

The DAC function was clear to me.

The second reply finally let me understood the HUB part. It’s such a picture what I meant with “connection layout”. Maybe you even took it from your website but I haven’t found it yesterday evening in 30 minutes checking out every corner. I would advise you to place such visualizations at a prominent, easy to find spot.

Actually I find the HUB is a great idea and he is another argument for me to purchase one of your DACs.

The “user instructions” links don’t work on my IPAD. They lead to a google docs website that states “the file cannot be open”. Guess it’s a general Google vs IOS software thing and not an isolated bug from my IPAD device.

Thanks again for your pleasant answer to my raging rant.

Seriously consider buying one of your DACs once I’m back from my trip over the pond :).

All the best, McN

Thanks McN - I'll include the diagrams on the website now on the home page - check it in about 10 mins :D

I haven't come across the IOS problem before - I use google drive on other Macs with no problems?

Out of curiosity, will the internal DAC run parallel to a second USB Dac connected externally to the ISO-HUB?
Might come in handy, say having the internal DAC for one system, and a second isolated DAC for a kitchen system or what ever.

If you have another USB DAC connected through the HUB section of the ISO-DAC, it will appear as a separate device in your connected devices
If your playback software can route the signal through two devices concurrently then yes but I know of no playback software that can do this?
There may be some software which allow virtual wiring of devices together but I haven't tried these?

I realise this is a little late on this thread but could I add mu name as being interested in loaning the ISO DAC . My current set up is with a Raspberry Pi with USB Hard Drive connected running LMS as the music server. Then for the various systems around the House I have ethernet wired players with touch screens that stream the music via either SPDIF or in a couple of instances USB and then to the DAC fitted.
Would be interested to hear what the Isolation would do and how your ISO DAC sounds.

Just to follow on from my last post & to outline some of the possible uses for the USB ports in the ISO-DAC
- You could have the ISO-DAC analogue outs driving your main system or headphone system & an attached USB audio DAC or device driving your headphones (or main system) - you just need to select which you are playing to in your payback software
- You could plug in a USB stick into one of the ports & play back audio files from this storage

In all cases you gain the advantage of USB isolation

Just to follow on from my last post & to outline some of the possible uses for the USB ports in the ISO-DAC
- You could have the ISO-DAC analogue outs driving your main system or headphone system & an attached USB audio DAC or device driving your headphones (or main system) - you just need to select which you are playing to in your payback software
- You could plug in a USB stick into one of the ports & play back audio files from this storage

In all cases you gain the advantage of USB isolation

I use the ISO-Hub in this way. One port is dedicated to the audio signal from Audirvana+ which is then routed on to the Ciunas DAC. Another is given to a portable SSD holding all my music files, the power for which is 'injected' from a 5V LPS into the fourth port. Isolating the drive from the Mac Mini, and then adding a solid power supply for it, each brought incremental improvements in SQ.

Thanks for pitching in Eastone & describing your configuration
Just to clarify, Eastone has an ISO-HUB & separate Ciunas DAC (not the ISO-DAC)

advertisement

Back