advertisement

Cyclists to be awarded equality with motorists.

No it isn't. It's like saying someone who kills with a toy bow and arrow should face the same maximum penalty as someone who kills a with a gun.
If you kill anyone with anything the maximum sentence is life. Whether it's a car, pedal cycle or novelty action figure. WTF are you on about?

If you think that's whataboutery, you're either being vexatious or a moron. Which is it? I doubt it's the latter.

The OP is specifically about establishing a legal equivalence between pedal cycles and Porsche Macaus. I am pointing out that this is irrational to a level of complete stupidity.

I also think some geezer anecdotally citing almost being hit by a cyclist 5 years ago seems a pretty flimsy argument for a change in the law. I'm not saying that no-one rides in a manner that poses a risk to other road users, but that risk is insufficiently significant to merit the resource required to mitigate it through the creation and enforcement of additional statutes. The example above very directly shows why.
Very well put, I’m rather sick of saying the same thing.

so if you killed that pedestrian and were sent down for two years that would be fair? If a car driver clipped the same pedestrian with their wing mirrors and killed them and got 20 years for death by dangerous driving, that would be ok as well? Is that fair.......?
I’d like to see an example of a driver receiving a 20 year sentence.

As stated before I don’t mind them issuing guidance or increasing allowable sentences but a change in the law won’t solve a problem that doesn’t really exist (statistically).

Sentences & punishments should be preventative also; at the very least a ban takes people off the road.

Spotting them on drugs is pretty easy, you just have a little drive round certain areas of the Peak District, they will be parked up on lay-bys. Remarkable how often I see it when out cycling on an evening

Sorry. My point is that on here some contributors want full transparency around police use of stopping motorists. My point is, and was back in the day, to try and at least ensure the motorist was committing a moving traffic offence before stopping them whenever possible. Routine stops are allowed, of course.

On the point of death by negligence ie cyclist hitting a pedestrian, I’d proffer to suggest there would be a very comprehensive investigation following such a death. The sentencing following any negligence would be quite severe, at least. If the sentencing guidelines need adjusting, then that does happen, especially when new trends around such deaths are spotted.

Lesser examples of such sentencing changes in general law can be found with aggravating factors to support a hate crime, and crimes exacerbated by use of weapons.

Very well put, I’m rather sick of saying the same thing.
Well don’t say it any more then. We’re all clear on what you think, and you are clear on what we think. We disagree, and we both understand the other side’s pov. The reason this is being prolonged is because you won’t let us think what we think without trying to force us to change our view.

I’d like to see an example of a driver receiving a 20 year sentence.

examples are totally irrelevant when we are talking about a principle you don't seem to accept - i didnt ever say a driver has been given 20 years - what i am saying is the sentencing tariff for killing a pedestrian by a car and killing a pedestrian by a bicycle should be the same in the same circumstances. After the principle is accepted into law, you can argue all you like about how it is implemented, and operationalised.

To be blunt i dont care what the tariff is, but all offenders should be treated equally.

If I kill someone doing something daft (not premeditated) as a pedestrian do I get less time than a cyclist would? I’m sure so by some of the logic in this thread or do cyclists get the most preferential treatment?

examples are totally irrelevant when we are talking about a principle you don't seem to accept - i didnt ever say a driver has been given 20 years - what i am saying is the sentencing tariff for killing a pedestrian by a car and killing a pedestrian by a bicycle should be the same in the same circumstances. After the principle is accepted into law, you can argue all you like about how it is implemented, and operationalised.

To be blunt i dont care what the tariff is, but all offenders should be treated equally.
They are. The maximum sentence for both is life. Manslaughter carries a discretionary life sentence and murder a mandatory one. You can do either with a pedal cycle, car or John Birch Society commemorative rolling pin.

They are. The maximum sentence for both is life. Manslaughter carries a discretionary life sentence and murder a mandatory one. You can do either with a pedal cycle or car.

that isnt what the articles in the press are saying - death by furious cycling (or similar) 2 years or death by dangerous driving - life under some circumstances. The point of the thread was about closing the "loop hole" of the former, to equalise the available punishment.

So lets just remove the furious cycling sh!t, and death by dangerous driving and prosecute all under the usual man slaughter and murder laws....

If I kill someone doing something daft (not premeditated) as a pedestrian do I get less time than a cyclist would? I’m sure so by some of the logic in this thread or do cyclists get the most preferential treatment?

Given that the least vulnerable road user is usually at fault by default, with a good brief you may get away with it.

Hopefully not just nostalgia when I say that both cycling and driving were more pleasant 20 or 30 years ago, less crowded and less aggressive on both sides. But kind of ironic that both bikes and cars are often significantly better now with the evolution of equipment in a time that is often less enjoyable to use them.

I’m in the camp that hopes for better education and less selfishness all round and it reminds me of the war between motorcyclists and others that took a persistent campaign of education for both riders and others, and it feels those same frustrations have shifted to cycling. If it doesn’t improve I can imagine regulation of cycling has to come.

I like the quote above by awkwardydesign about drivers “They are pedestrians trying to get from A to B with the minimum inconvenience or effort” and that will stick with me. I think it describes us all, looking to minimise our own convenience, whether we would realise it or not.

Sorry. My point is that on here some contributors want full transparency around police use of stopping motorists. My point is, and was back in the day, to try and at least ensure the motorist was committing a moving traffic offence before stopping them whenever possible. Routine stops are allowed, of course.

On the point of death by negligence ie cyclist hitting a pedestrian, I’d proffer to suggest there would be a very comprehensive investigation following such a death. The sentencing following any negligence would be quite severe, at least. If the sentencing guidelines need adjusting, then that does happen, especially when new trends around such deaths are spotted.

Lesser examples of such sentencing changes in general law can be found with aggravating factors to support a hate crime, and crimes exacerbated by use of weapons.
I suppose the idea of what a severe sentence is greatly varies. Motoring/traffic offences seem to be treated very leniently. As I’ve mentioned before the number of people with over 12 points still driving around is quite staggering.

that isnt what the articles in the press are saying - death by furious cycling (or similar) 2 years or death by dangerous driving - life under some circumstances. The point of the thread was about closing the "loop hole" of the former, to equalise the available punishment.

So lets just remove the furious cycling sh!t, and death by dangerous driving and prosecute all under the usual man slaughter and murder laws....
Personally, I'm unconvinced by the effectiveness of punitive incarceration in the reduction of harm from driving offences and would rather see any death or injury caused by dangerous or careless driving result in a lifetime driving ban rather than jail time.

1000+ deaths every year caused by cars merits having a distinction between dangerous driving and manslaughter. One death every 5 years by bicycle does not and the ultimate sanction of manslaughter still applies. IMHO, of course.

advertisement

Back