Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Cyclists to be awarded equality with motorists.

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Rob998, Aug 6, 2022.

1. Rob998

Rob998 Scimmia Nordoccidentale

2. Tony Lockhart

Tony Lockhart Avoiding Stress, at Every Opportunity

And how many incidents is this based on?

The one where someone walked into the road without looking and was hit by a cyclist?

I’m all for appropriate laws, but there are more important things to spend your time on, surely?

3. zeon

zeon pfm Member

Yes, that happens often of course !

4. Rob998

Rob998 Scimmia Nordoccidentale

Is that the same case where the guy was belting along on a track only bike with no brakes, but if he'd been on a normal bike with brakes a young mum would still be alive?

narabdela likes this.
  5. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

He was doing 18mph, he was also a complete twat & am pretty sure he received longer than two years under ‘death by furious cycling’.

I feel very sorry for the person killed but a change of law is probably not warranted. The amount of coverage received was massively disproportionate; imagine if the same cover was given to every pedestrian death by motorised vehicle?

Paul McDonough and Snufkin like this.
  6. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

7. foxwelljsly

foxwelljsly Hawkwind and Fire

She’d also still be alive if she hadn’t wandered into the road without looking where she was going.

8. Somafunk

Somafunk pfm Member

112 cyclists killed by drivers/vehicles last year, over 3000 seriously injured but let’s throw some red meat to our Tory scum voters, after all if you’re still riding a bike as an adult you are a failure.

I ****ing detest these ****s.

9. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

Exactly this & then we have all the positive benefits of an active lifestyle which get ignored.

10. Brian

Brian Eating fat, staying slim

Listen, this is really easy, there is no need for people to knee-jerk in defence of cyclists.

People
    who drive a car dangerously will also ride a bike dangerously. The person is a moron and should be treated exactly the same if killing someone by their shit behaviour riding a bloody bike as driving a car.

11. kensalriser

kensalriser pfm Member

Typical Tory knee jerk BS, let's make it more illegal instead of safer.

12. Seeker_UK

Seeker_UK Feelin' nearly faded as my jeans

13. Tony Lockhart

Tony Lockhart Avoiding Stress, at Every Opportunity

14. cobbers

cobbers pfm Member

All road users are subject to the same rules of the road no matter whether 0.1 bhp or 500 bhp
    They should include electric scooters too.

15. awkwardbydesign

awkwardbydesign Officially Awesome

Electric scooters are illegal, road or pavement, except where trials are authorised.
    And I am puzzled as to why cyclists should get away (relatively) with dangerous behaviour. Which is what this law would address. The knee jerk behaviour I have seen has been here, in defence of the indefensible.

16. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

‘Relatively’? Are you for real? As upthread have a look at some of the things drivers get away with for taking a life.

Motorists spent several pages crying over some Highway Code ‘changes’ that weren’t really changes. It’s just a classic case of Tories appealing to their pathetic base of morons.

17. Somafunk

Somafunk pfm Member

Have you rode a bike on the public roads recently?,

Ellenor, Woodface and Tony Lockhart like this.
  18. Rockmeister

Rockmeister pfm Member

yes
    all the time
    and If i kill someone, then their life must be accounted.
    Tell me why that's NOT true please, or rather, write to their families and explain it.

flutteringwow likes this.
  19. cobbers

cobbers pfm Member

Given the lack of brakes on that tw--s cycle isn't it about time they were subject to the same safety checks.

Isn't there supposed to be a hierarchy or responsibility now?

20. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

There are legal requirements for bikes. This already happens. Do you understand the term ‘disproportionate’?

He was also riding what is known as a fixie, you can brake by stopping pedalling.