advertisement

Cycling log - random events in the day of a cyclist

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve never taken the left fork, didn’t know it was passable

Oh yeah. Stays flat, around the cottages, then a steeper rise joining back with your way. Further, but feels easier / quicker. Gets twisty and gravelly past Gnasher's place, but you only live once.

My Rims are // WTB ST i23 TCS, 28h, tubeless ready and the Tyres // WTB Nano TCS, 700 x 40c, tubeless ready.

I fitted some SKS mudguards and the sodding tyres rubbed, so ended up swapping them out for some Schwalbe G Ones I had knocking about in my shed. What an absolute b*st*rd it was getting the WTB's off the rims. My tyre levers were useless. I have several various lever brands and the ones inside my saddle pack were utter crap for the task in hand. They're OK for my MTB mind.

I had to put the wheels in a vice. Nipping the tyre in the jaws and then bending the wheel away from me until it popped the seal. If I'd suffered a puncture at the roadside I'd've been stranded. No way could I get those tyres off without the use of brute force, and glad I was in my shed and not at the roadside.

I think I'll be going tubeless when the Schwalbe wear out, as the thought of getting a puncture fills me with dread given the struggle I had.

I have the same wheels fitted with WTB Riddlers and punctured a couple of weeks ago. Managed to get the tyre off the bead OK, but it was a hell of a job getting the bead to pop back on when trying to reinflate the tyre. Luckily i have a decent Lezyne mini pump that can get to decent pressures otherwise it would have been impossible. It took a hell of a lot of pumping and a hight pressure to get the bead back on the rim properly. Luckily I don’t seem to puncture that often around here.

I think I'll be going tubeless when the Schwalbe wear out,

I run G-Ones tubeless. It took a while before they would reliably hold pressure, but not too bad, if you want to give it a go.

On my MTB, I fitted a pair of Michelin Force tyres. These were so incredibly hard to fit, that the BANG when I finally got them over the rim, made me think that there would be nothing left of the rim but some carbon fibre shards.

I've heard some Schwalbe Marathons can be fun to fit. I have the folding Marathon Supreme tyres on my bike and they fit easily, I've only had them off because of slack valves. I now check the valve before taking the tube out!

Previous tyres were Contis, could never get them to sit evenly on the 27in rims. The ride was not the best as result of eccentric tyres. Never got the chance to try a different tyre so didn't find out if it was tyre or rim causing the problem. I changed the bike to 700c to get a better choice of tyres. Having round wheels was a revelation.

This chap seems to know what he's doing and he has a useful tip for fitting tight tyres:

If that doesn't work then you've surely got the wrong size. If they're not the wrong size then how the hell are you supposed to get them back off to fix a puncture?

This chap seems to know what he's doing and he has a useful tip for fitting tight tyres:

If that doesn't work then you've surely got the wrong size. If they're not the wrong size then how the hell are you supposed to get them back off to fix a puncture?
How to fit a tyre has always been a source of debate, and quite a few heated arguments in cycling clubs.

Couple of points about the video, if you put a little bit of air in the inner tube there is less chance of it being trapped between tyre bead and rim and also less chance of the valve not coming through the rim straight. When the tyre is part inflated, press the sides to inspect and make sure the tube isn’t trapped. Taking a few seconds to check saves the risk of having a pinch puncture a few miles down the road.

If the tyre is a bit tight, talcum powder is useful for helping the tyre pop into place and also makes your bike smell nice! Most importantly, and controversially, once you have the inner tube centred, start putting the bead on from opposite the valve and end at the valve. The reason is simple, and that is that the valve prevents the tyre bead dropping into the well of the rim. If you start at the valve then the bead cannot drop fully into the well and that will make it harder to push the last bit of bead over the rim.

Apologies for teaching grannies to suck eggs but hope the above might help anyone struggling.

I questioned myself about the tyre size when I swapped out to the Schwalbe's. I think it's down to tubeless tyres and manufacturers tolerances, as some tyres seal better than others.
I have a track pump which copes easily with overinflating to pop 'em back on. My mate has some kind of pressure vessel thing that dumps a huge volume of air pressure in one big hit to pop 'em on to the rims. I've since bought some Schwalbe tyre levers which helped with the sore fingertips thing.

Can you still buy talcum powder?

Last edited:
Johnson's baby powder I use it on my orthotic insoles to stop my socks sticking and creasing.

Didn't work on my tyres but there was a miss-match in size. Tyre was a fraction too small for the rim.

Out this afternoon, I had reason to remember that this April will be forty years since the Badger's epic win at Liège-Bastogne-Liège by over nine minutes and ahead of just twenty other finishers...

Bernard-Hinault-LBL-1980.jpg

Yup, thankfully with much warmer clothes on than M. Hinault, some icy sleet turned into snow above around 350m, getting hairier coming past Stanage Edge. Got beeped by a van, probably for not having the best lights, though was almost toasty despite my white coating. A little anxious about getting home though.

Just as I was thinking of bailing, out came the blindingly low sun and blue skies. Headed up the climb past Abney (big thanks @Woodface), a dusting of snow on the pine trees. Then down to Bradwell, Hathersage, up to Fox House, and home.

Around 900m or so of climbing, legs slowly getting stronger after a quite start to the year. Snowing again now.

Out this afternoon, I had reason to remember that this April will be forty years since the Badger's epic win at Liège-Bastogne-Liège by over nine minutes and ahead of just twenty other finishers...

Bernard-Hinault-LBL-1980.jpg

Yup, thankfully with much warmer clothes on than M. Hinault, some icy sleet turned into snow above around 350m, getting hairier coming past Stanage Edge. Got beeped by a van, probably for not having the best lights, though was almost toasty despite my white coating. A little anxious about getting home though.

Just as I was thinking of bailing, out came the blindingly low sun and blue skies. Headed up the climb past Abney (big thanks @Woodface), a dusting of snow on the pine trees. Then down to Bradwell, Hathersage, up to Fox House, and home.

Around 900m or so of climbing, legs slowly getting stronger after a quite start to the year. Snowing again now.
I don’t have the luxury of riding during the day on work days & bailed out of evening club ride for a lonely Turbo (weather predictably terrible).

Yeah, I'm lucky in that I can almost always fit in at least one ride in the week around work. Probably why Ciara and Dennis maybe made me a little antsy recently.

evening club ride...

Barely above freezing, few snow flurries... that'll be fun.

Yeah, I'm lucky in that I can almost always fit in at least one ride in the week around work. Probably why Ciara and Dennis maybe made me a little antsy recently.

Barely above freezing, few snow flurries... that'll be fun.
Amazing what weather I’ve rode in at night, not as keen as I once was

You two are absolute psycho nutters if you're going out cycling on those roads in the dark when it's snowing. Someday quite soon you'll have to be scraped off the road by an ambulance.

Other roads are available, you know?

You two are absolute psycho nutters if you're going out cycling on those roads in the dark when it's snowing. Someday quite soon you'll have to be scraped off the road by an ambulance.

Other roads are available, you know?
I only cycle at night in a group as it is safer, have only actually fallen off in bright sunshine, the last one being rather catastrophic.

always be kind to other road users. Always.

Even when they're trying to kill you? Sorry, but if someone else is putting me in danger then I'm going to protest in no uncertain terms. I'm a lot more vulnerable than they are.

I've always found that shouting is a lot more effective than any bell or possibly airhorn.

Nothing wrong with shouting advice and highlighting dangerous driving. I just find it counterproductive to bring myself down to their level.

I've always found that shouting is a lot more effective than any bell or possibly airhorn.

Shouting is a great way to escalate a dangerous situation. Nine times out of ten if a driver does something dangerous it's an indication that they don't give a stuff about your wellbeing - shouting at them is unlikely to make them reconsider, and more likely to make them become even more aggressive. Plus in the US it could get you shot. Ride defensively, wear bright clothing, use lights, but back down from confrontations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back