advertisement

Cycling log - random events in the day of a cyclist

Status
Not open for further replies.
The soundtrack to my weekend rides was the Mavic Freehub squeal of death so I serviced the free hub last night and inadvertently turned the bike in to a fixie!
I eventually found the missing washer and I'm back to having proper gears. Phew!

From that report it sounds like he'd have a case, however from another report the case against him was based on evidence from another cyclist who said he his riding was arrogant and reckless. Three pedestrians blamed the ped who was knocked down though.

In London (and in other big cities, as I've seen this a lot in Amsterdam for example) it's often the case that cyclists will maintain their speed when they have right of way and a pedestrian steps out - shouting and sounding an air horn instead of slowing down - and I wonder if that's what happened here e.g. saw the pedestrian in his way, shouted etc. but didn't attempt to slow down or stop until it was too late to avoid the collision. I tend to slow down in those cases (whether I'm cycling, running or driving a car or motorbike) even if I have right of way, but lots of people (including a lot of car drivers as well as cyclists) don't - assuming because they have right of way it's down to the other person to get out of their way.

BTW my personal experience with folks with air-horns on their bikes is 100% that they've been idiots!

Well the editor of grapevine is a bit of a twat isn't he. Yes, cyclists who use the pavement should be dealt with by the correct legal procedures. They exist for that purpose.

Dave (my MB) and I went on an early Summer Solstice ride this morning. Behold Tilbury Docks in the backgroumd, where, rumour has it, the Druids first installed industrial cranes and oil storage tanks.

Unfortunately for us, we had a significant over the handlebars tumble about 25 minutes later and I appear to have broken some ribs. Ouch.

D9kO42qXYAAAx2m

That's awful..I hope they're just bruised and not broken. I think I broke a rib whilst drunk once - I fell onto a chair with a tubular steel back. You may have to sleep sitting up for a while as I was in agony when lying down.

I'm on a flexi day and woke up at 5am (!) so did a 70miler into Cheshire and back by 11:30.

Thanks, indeed they are! Going to Doctor later to hopefully get some hefty painkillers.

I found paracetamol + ibuprofen in combination very effective when I sprained my wrist last year - that too was exceedingly painful, though thankfully only for a couple of days. Ribs on the other hand ...... (I did my ribs playing roller-hockey)

Descending the North Downs towards Pilgrims Way this morning the road was blocked by fire engines, ambulances and the police dealing with a collision. Only one of the vehicles was in any way intact, although it was missing most of the front section. I don't see how there can not have been at least two fatalities.
It's a sketchy downhill section, dappled sunlight and narrow lanes. Only three weeks ago our chain gang was taken out by a deer that ran into a rider at 32mph. The deer skipped off and the riders involved suffered only extensive road rash and bruising. Helmets did their job and bikes were surprisingly undamaged.
Today there were a couple of car drivers who were sounding their horns trying to find a way through. Must say I was a bit speechless, carnage on the roads and you get angry at being held up for 5 or 10 minutes?
We continued our ride down a bumpy pot holed road which led on to a steep muddy, gravel track that eventually led us towards Pilgrims Way. A glorious summers day which made me reflect on the joys of being alive on a bike!

Dave (my MB) and I went on an early Summer Solstice ride this morning. Behold Tilbury Docks in the backgroumd, where, rumour has it, the Druids first installed industrial cranes and oil storage tanks.

Unfortunately for us, we had a significant over the handlebars tumble about 25 minutes later and I appear to have broken some ribs. Ouch.

Not good at all, hope you recover quickly.

I hope Dave is OK? ;)

Yikes I had bruised ribs after a disagreement with a Norwegian Fir tree which was lying in wait for me on the ski slopes. I was out ( no running or serious cycling ) for about 3 weeks. Broken ribs will be longer. Ouch and get well soon.

Thanks all.

It's immensely painful; sleeping, coughing etc are all posing significant problems! Have some hefty painkillers but taking two of these is wiping me out, so am trying to find a balance between pain management and oblivion.

Yes, Dave is OK - thankfully!

I did my rib just by leaning over the arm of my office chair to reach a piece of paper....something went as I leant and I have been in pain for over a week now.
As to bikes...I am about to acquire a road bike with panniers left by a departing tenant at my mums house. I think I shall use it...general fitness requirements etc...it has gears like a racer and looks quite sturdy. I'm not familiar with bikes since my dad bought me a Raleigh for my 13th birthday with sturmey archer twist grip gears, gosh I thought I was on top of the world with that bike!

Mont Ventoux from Bédoin a couple of days ago. Lovely ride (just under 2 hours up so ok for an oldie) but the main thing is I used my HRM to stay in a sensible zone and just rode from bottom to top without stopping. An awesome descent through the corkscrew forest.

My wife rented an E-bike and comfortably arrived at the top with me. impressive, really

I'm in the fortunate position (depending on viewpoint) of having 4 weeks off in August. Currently planning to take the mountain bike down to the 3 valleys for 2.5 weeks and then pick up SWMBO at Geneva and go on to Champery in the Portes du Soleil for 10 days. Bit of walking and mountain biking in both. Looking forward to it immensely - a proper holiday :)
The unfortunate downside being I should probably be job hunting instead...but what the hell..!

I'm in the fortunate position (depending on viewpoint) of having 4 weeks off in August. Currently planning to take the mountain bike down to the 3 valleys for 2.5 weeks and then pick up SWMBO at Geneva and go on to Champery in the Portes du Soleil for 10 days. Bit of walking and mountain biking in both. Looking forward to it immensely - a proper holiday :)
The unfortunate downside being I should probably be job hunting instead...but what the hell..!
Robs sounds like heaven ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back