advertisement

Cycling log - random events in the day of a cyclist

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chomping at the bit. Had a couple of minor ops last week and have been told not to do anything strenuous! I've been using the Boris Bike for my commutes but really want to get out there and put some miles in but think I'd best heed the advice of those who 'know best!'

Just had a message via Strava that I've lost one of my KOM's, in France. :( Lost it by miles as well - the chap was 33s quicker. It was part of a 207km ride at a 30kmh average as well, which isn't bad going. The guy has shitloads of KOM's as well

Might need to take the TT bike next time I'm over there, as that's about the only chance I have of getting it back!

Just had a message via Strava that I've lost one of my KOM's, in France. :( Lost it by miles as well - the chap was 33s quicker. It was part of a 207km ride at a 30kmh average as well, which isn't bad going. The guy has shitloads of KOM's as well

Might need to take the TT bike next time I'm over there, as that's about the only chance I have of getting it back!

You saying he did 207km at 30kph? If so that's better than not bad I'd say.

One of your KOMs? I don't have a single KOM. Anywhere.

You saying he did 207km at 30kph? If so that's better than not bad I'd say.

One of your KOMs? I don't have a single KOM. Anywhere.

I've never had many (I think my peak was 4) and I'm down to just 1 now - and that one is downhill (and not a very popular segment either). There area a few local ones here in Edinburgh that I've got my eye on (when I actually start riding again!) but I doubt I'll ever have many.

The guy that just took my lone French KOM has 6 pages of KOM's. Mine wasn't the only he took in his ride yesterday either. From his profile he might be a racer, but he's definitely a pretty serious rider. Light years better/faster than me anyway.

Didn't fancy getting drenched this morning so rode on Zwift. Thought it would be a real struggle given that I've not done much proper cycling for a while. Pleasantly surprised with my effort.

Gulp. Just agreed to do a century ride around Northumberland next Sat. That's going to be a challenge.
Done it. I'm knackered. Dropped Saturday, the weather was vile. Today was great. First 70 was easy, if moderately hilly. Stopped at Seahouses, then struggled to restart. 75 to 80 was hell, then I had a rest and a sandwich. 85 to 90 better, another breather at 90, then just ground out the last 10. No power, every minor slope was a granny gear special. Note to self - next time get notice and train!

I recognize those symptoms only too well Steve. What I found interesting was that I had to keep prompting my brain to turn my legs over...was a bit weird...like my brain was more tired than my legs.

Thanks gents. I didn't have to consciously pedal, it was just that it wasn't effective in converting pedalling to forward motion and whenever i got the chance to freewheel I took it, with the result that I was trundling along at 6 or 7 mph. That last 30 miles, with 2 short stops, took 3 hours 20 min. That's a scant 10mph when rolling, plus 2 x 10 min sitting on the grass.

Nice job to finish 100miles with no training. I'm not sure I could cycle 100 miles right now. Good call on taking a bike with a granny ring. I'm long past my 53/39 front 12-23 rear days (and that was when I lived in East Anglia). I did once have the experience of legs ceasing to respond to brain when I was young and foolish and tried to cycle 140 miles with only one short stop to eat an ice cream. I thought electrolyte drink alone was sufficient, but I was very wrong. It was only a mars bar and 15 minutes lie down that got me home.

Had a couple of lazy weeks, just a couple of days commuting in each, so kicked off this week's commutes with a trip up Winter Hill - about 800ft climbing straight out of the front door, a PR on the descent and downhill all the way to Manchester. Piss poor pictures and hazy, can see hills of North Wales from up there when clear:
y4mahlXG2Sg2GH-ZrTGwt15wsnX8sCl3GCWdSnNWBjDHXlYqZcT19P4bCo4Y_W4pBwLXZ5e3pKnIsUHyNCYBhwGaEDJZlfXcXorcfHHYprcfxAZnuLy8W6wl74xVaLIdQzIUyUFgdPP7XI7A7fqqQbyQ0EV7LNK_oXtUcx5xFXuuWiHyy0FJNgK-Zf7LoJ79HDFBYWjnMN-6c45su4cwAPSmQ
y4mqycdwMA8s81hQiDF8t6IoxVusnBZrZtryx2lTzmiGwep84syt1xTcf3RGoxb2ZkKEcJn6FvBfUAuAbx_-P61KgLrJllWBBXFkuV13XLoXrxmQNK9YDSLVS5U3i2M1go-HYAcCg85VhmP3M-VvI6nQ6auhspqjTRhk00bWl-xXOZMtyVukd-ZlT3G01_rnTF7sxH1B_PnnUoz2pAgw-epVw

a touch moist this morning so no heroics, just a 3 mile diversion to delay arrival and avoid terrible surface redressing on the steepest bit of my normal route. Tried to ride up it on Monday evening and had to bale out onto the pavement due to all the gravel. Bad enough at 10mph so didn't fancy it at over 30mph on the way down. Otherwise, all very civilized.

I briefly left the drizzle envelope when I skirted the Greater Manchester/Lancashire border for a few minutes but soon plunged back in for the rest of the journey

Dreadful weather here, changeable and blowing a gale. I finished building a MTB for bike packing yesterday, which I may take for a test ride later, but am umming and ahhing as I know it really needs a new cup and cone on the drive side of the rear wheel.

In the meantime, I have been reading about this wonderful bunch of ladies and gentleman without whom, I suspect, many of the conveniences available for the more adventurous touring cyclist would never have been realised. As one who has traversed some very remote places by bike with the best that modern cycling technology has to offer, I am a little in awe of these people. Very tempted to get the book.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2019/jun/13/break-the-cycle-britains-oldest-off-road-club

https://roughstuffarchive.com

https://www.isolapress.com/shop/rsf-archives

It's been a pretty sodden week in the NW but the sun is out and, fingers crossed, Sunday a.m. looks decent for a long ride.

I'm still aching from Sunday. I had a good stretch last night, that made me feel better. The muscles in my back are still sore though. I've not been on a bike since, it hasn't stopped raining in Lincolnshire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back