advertisement

Cycling log - random events in the day of a cyclist II

@NeilR that Trek looks a bit arse-in-the-air for gravel use!

that's not my bike, but it is a road bike with 32 mm tyres. Mine is the GT Grade behind. Much more suited to the terrain. The bikes are parked facing downhill so it looks worse.

But fair play to the Trek rider for making it round on some pretty hairy descents.

A very large mustering of storks on the commute home. Never seen so many of them!

DOPVX57wOz9WLcR8fPzGGkcwFTYxxwillvx26zdmzRY-2048x1536.jpg

5chBdXNtNT94OZ_-w8QjJp2LLaKDUfWVeiLdlsYOowM-2048x1536.jpg

Do you have a smart phone? Can always set up tracking on that. I would say, “whatever you do don’t do it!”. Mate of mine did this out of concern from his wife, she now tracks him everywhere & once rang him while we were at a cafe, “I can see your 40 miles away, no way you will be back for 12”.

Seriously, just don’t.

My son and I have the Friend Locator app (so that he can check that I am picking my grandson up from school) and it generally works well, until it doesn’t.

Down in the valley you only get good coverage from O2, here, a hundred feet up its only Vodafone that has a good signal. A few weeks ago my son and young grandson decided to cycle up to my house. When they were only about 100 meters from my house my grandson had a problem with his knee and couldn’t walk. My son had to climb up to the road as he couldn’t get any signal on the cycle track, leaving grandson and a couple of very expensive bike behind. He managed to ring me but I could hardly hear what he was saying but did get something about coming to pick him up and then he got cut off. I tried to call him back a few times but it went straight to voicemail and sent a text as sometimes they can get through. I checked on the app and drove to where it indicated he was (near his home) but he wasn’t. Still couldn’t get him on the phone so drove back home. Luckily he found someone who tried to come and find me but I wasn’t there and then found one of his friends who had taken them home briefly before the grandson was taken to hospital.

These kuvasz dogs (there were more!) prevented me from finishing Monte Sante Marie segment of Strade Bianche on recent Tuscany trip.

Clipboard01.jpg

By way of comparison I did 100km on gravel & roads with 1200m of climbing yesterday. The canal water near Shipley did bear a passing resemblance to the Swiss lake water o_O:D.
Would love to hear more about this route. I spend a good portion of the year in Saltaire.

Would love to hear more about this route. I spend a good portion of the year in Saltaire.
Hi Dan, glad you are back, there is great riding in Wharfedale. Get to Pool then back roads to Wetherby, then make it up from ther. You cross some busy roads but you're on your own the rest of the time. The other alternative is the canal to Skipton.

Home to Canal: Alwoodley - Adel - Cookridge - Horforth - Rodley (all on minor lanes and tracks)
Leeds/Liverpool Canal to Skipton
Then Eastby - Halton East - Bolton Abbey
Bolton Bridge - Beamsley - Ilkley -Askwith - Otley (I use the path on the edge of the A660) - Bramhope - BW edge of Golden Acre Park then WYCR past Eccup to home

I can send you a GPX if it helps - drop me a PM with your email address.

It turns out that a day of drinking doesn’t really help cycling performance.
Ha, that reminds me of cycling with a mate a few years ago who dropped me on the first climb, well I say dropped but I ignored it as I warmed into the ride gently at my own pace. As I caught and rode past I was giving him encouragement about finding a rhythm rather than blowing up and giving him a wheel to sit behind. My empathy disappeared instantly at the top when he said it could be the 4 pints at lunchtime, or the 8 the night before, or the 4 yesterday lunchtime! I upped the pace and gave him continuous stick as he struggled in vain to keep my wheel from then on, lots of laughs.

My folks have a place in Calabria, it's not quite as pretty and there is less going on than in Tuscany, but it's half the price and it's very pleasant nevertheless for those with an income less than that of Tom Cruise. They are currently selling it after 13-14 years as it's getting too much for them. I've done some very pleasant cycling around there. Near Scalea.

advertisement

Back