advertisement

Cycling log - random events in the day of a cyclist II

Cleared the back half of the garden shed to make a temporary pain hutch - bit grim but better than having to set it all up in the porch whenever I want to use the thing. When I clear the front half I will take out the dividing wall to give more space and a window. Only have to put with this until Jan when new office/shed is being built.
y4msBCEOcU08SwgqrL4IwaayI2L-MRzAnsR6W8sDgbK4yceQ53bbDsy3p6gThAAci_L-xEAgfyCC7ZmQilclVLgZSYK0zp0lWAHmtd4AQ4b_T3MhJC8791Lk1E5UmSqd2yLy8rNyKftb2mLQPiuyRqDWZee_k_L8V33OQBNRRJfM-iC2s9O_WWPMSp8kD_6XpcX

2 more sessions of the training plan to complete this week (only 11 more weeks to go). Did get out for a ride on mtb last night - gentle 10 mile potter with a fat pal, but good fun.

I am 59 years old, and not the powerhouse I was fifteen or thirty years ago, BUT ...

Today I managed a cycle challenge that I only once before managed, and that was in the glory days ...

I rode up the Clayter Bank just east of the top of the Bromyard Downs on the A 44. This is the nastiest bank on the A44 between Bromyard and Worcester - either way. There are much worse of course just off the A44, like the infamous Ankerdine Hill at Knightwick-on-Teme, which is a famous cycle hill-climb, but I'll never even try that given that at the bottom is the six-hundred year old hotel, The Talbot at Knightwick, which is somewhere anyone who likes a grand local beer should patronise at least once!

The last and only time I managed Clayter Bank before was riding from Worcester to Norton before my broken leg and before I knew my limits! But a few pints on board and in my prime, I did not feel the pain.

The constant is my 1984 Carlton that still has an unfeasible lowest gear of 44 over 24 on 25 by 700c Michelins. It is only two by five speed!

I surprised and delighted myself with this gritty success.

I am not going to win any races now, but I am getting better again, and I was always good on banks.

Best wishes from George

Ibbots, just imagine if that bike was suitable for use outside, on a real road, imagine that.....
Yep, and the two other road bikes and mtb I have. I really do not like indoor trainers but I am trying to get fit again after brain surgery and 12 months of struggling outside realise I need a more structured, controlled approach. But hey, have a snark.

Cleared the back half of the garden shed to make a temporary pain hutch - bit grim but better than having to set it all up in the porch whenever I want to use the thing. When I clear the front half I will take out the dividing wall to give more space and a window. Only have to put with this until Jan when new office/shed is being built.
y4msBCEOcU08SwgqrL4IwaayI2L-MRzAnsR6W8sDgbK4yceQ53bbDsy3p6gThAAci_L-xEAgfyCC7ZmQilclVLgZSYK0zp0lWAHmtd4AQ4b_T3MhJC8791Lk1E5UmSqd2yLy8rNyKftb2mLQPiuyRqDWZee_k_L8V33OQBNRRJfM-iC2s9O_WWPMSp8kD_6XpcX

2 more sessions of the training plan to complete this week (only 11 more weeks to go). Did get out for a ride on mtb last night - gentle 10 mile potter with a fat pal, but good fun.
Why are you dicking about in a shed in summer? Is there something wrong with you? Get out! I've got a crappy old bike that I take in the car for work, this week I've had a 28 mile run to a nearby port and a 10 mile toddle yesterday. I bet eitber of those was more fun than an hour in your shed. What's wrong with reserving shed training for when it's wet, dark and cold? Come on, the British summer is short enough. Use it.

Why are you dicking about in a shed in summer? Is there something wrong with you? Get out! I've got a crappy old bike that I take in the car for work, this week I've had a 28 mile run to a nearby port and a 10 mile toddle yesterday. I bet eitber of those was more fun than an hour in your shed. What's wrong with reserving shed training for when it's wet, dark and cold? Come on, the British summer is short enough. Use it.

I did an hour and a half today, it was pretty unpleasant. I did start a long explanation as what I have been through in the last 15 months or so, how hard I have worked and what led me to sticking a fancy road bike on a trainer in a manky shed, in Summer, but then I thought why the **** should I be feeling defensive and having to explain myself to judgemental arses.

To add and somewhat undermine the above: you could go back to my post on page 73, that you 'liked', which covers some of it. It took me two weeks to recover from that 50k ride.

Ibbots, just get on the bike and do it! Doesn't matter if it's in the shed or on the road. Hour and a half is great. MTB ride sounds much preferable though!
I suspect some don't know the history.

Ibbots, just get on the bike and do it! Doesn't matter if it's in the shed or on the road. Hour and a half is great. MTB ride sounds much preferable though!
I suspect some don't know the history.

Tbf, I bloody hate not being the cyclist I was and really dislike having to resort to the shed. I have known for months it is what I need to do but put it off until now so am a bit over sensitive I guess.

Anyway, 4 and half hours so far this week including a rainy potter on the mtb and not flat on my back yet.

Thanks for the support.

I did an hour and a half today, it was pretty unpleasant. I did start a long explanation as what I have been through in the last 15 months or so, how hard I have worked and what led me to sticking a fancy road bike on a trainer in a manky shed, in Summer, but then I thought why the **** should I be feeling defensive and having to explain myself to judgemental arses.

To add and somewhat undermine the above: you could go back to my post on page 73, that you 'liked', which covers some of it. It took me two weeks to recover from that 50k ride.
Sorry ibbots, I apologise. I'd forgotten it was you recovering from surgery, I thought you were just a standard issue cyclist. If the shed does it for you, great. I didn't mean to be judgemental. Sorry if I was.

Sorry ibbots, I apologise. I'd forgotten it was you recovering from surgery, I thought you were just a standard issue cyclist. If the shed does it for you, great. I didn't mean to be judgemental. Sorry if I was.

Thank you for your apologising. My reply to you was a bit much tbh and I was being over sensitive and I am sorry for that.

Keep at it Ibbots and if you’re not ready to ride properly but want to feel the outdoors what about pootling about on something like a Brompton a bit? Casual riding, no gearing up for the MTB or road bikes, stop any time you like and get in the car or onto transport whilst you feel your way through recovery. I’m sure those who have irked you did not mean to.

I bought my first in 2015 for using in London primarily whenever I go so I can avoid the underground and quickly got used to it, sure it’s not about exercise per se in the way we get from our other bikes but semi riding and enjoyable in a different way. I bought a second so my good lady and I could ride together in all those lifestyle things. I got some stick over that but it quickly passed when she realised how enjoyable they were for beach front, park, towpath etc.

And on the turbo train I have a smart trainer and have used Zwift but I think it’s my dislike of computer gaming that means I still prefer my conventional set up of Elite Crono Fluid Gel (had it so long can’t remember the name without looking at it). I found 7 virtual miles to be my sweet spot sometimes 10. I found 5 not enough and anything over 10 starts to become a chore and I don’t get on the bike. Had to use it a lot after injury recovery and now use it in the winter (she worries about me cycling, going fast downhill, riding in winter etc).

7 miles is nominally a 30 min session at 15 mph ave as the convenient maths means each mile takes 4 mins. So up through the gears over the first couple of mins, keep the ave and cadence at whatever the beat of the music is at the time, then 2 mins cool down at the end to come down through the gears. Stronger riding and faster pace wmeans earlier finish of course but I then use that as more time to cool down and stick to the 30 mins. Same principle for 10 miles and 42 mins. Might not be your approach but thought I would share if it helps.

Good luck with the recovery!

Just seen Steve reply in the time it took for me to type this all :)

Repeatable nature of Turbo is good for rehab, used mine a fair bit when recovering from hip surgery. Obviously you will get out when you feel able to, pointless rushing back.

Thank you for your apologising. My reply to you was a bit much tbh and I was being over sensitive and I am sorry for that.
No need to apologise, I was the one out of order because I'd forgotten that yours was a special case. I hope you carry on recovering and can get out in what passes for sunshine this summer soon.

No need to apologise, I was the one out of order because I'd forgotten that yours was a special case. I hope you carry on recovering and can get out in what passes for sunshine this summer soon.
I almost said that it pissed down for the entirety of my session yesterday

Oh and my ratty old Trigger's Bike clocked up 19000 miles on the speedo on Tuesday night. The total is somewhere over 20k by now. One original moving part, the front mech. 3 rear wheels, 2 fronts.

I also have the single speed back from the powder coater, I'll actually get it on Sunday. Rebuild to follow.

Ended up getting some dry miles in this morning but my legs feel like lead. Middle bike which was my best bike now seems to feel like a lorry, not sure why. It’s been a funny year this, lack of proper winter training miles with a group has left me massively short of form.

I know how you feel woodie, most my years feel like that, lots of laughs. What I consider a ride now (at 57 with stop/start fitness as life commitments and work intensity ebbs and flows) used to be a warm up. I only started timing myself up Box Hill in my late 40s and 8:15 was a huge achievement 9 years ago bringing the time down from an initial 17 at worrying weight. The 7 mins or less of many I rode with was sort of irrelevant as was the pros at sub 5. The recent record of circa 4:20 beggars belief when driving it in a car, let alone on a bike.

This summer is the first time I’ve felt good and had a clearer run at several rides and from an initial 12 mins I’m repeatedly hitting sub 10 now. I’d like to crack 9 then 8:15 then sub 8 but most importantly is enjoying feeling good, save for lower back muscles that get hammered from climbing in a way they never did in my 40s or younger. I just say chapeau to all who are making the effort to ride or recover.

I haven’t succumbed to an eBike yet but wonder how many years it will be before I submit, especially if the prices come down or some decent affordable kit emerges that we can put on an existing bike. But every time I see a rider in their 60s or 70s who is still getting out I say, nah not yet.

advertisement

Back