advertisement

Cycling log - random events in the day of a cyclist II

3 weeks of my shed cycling plan done - managed 5 hours each week and feeling good. She mentioned that I look to be getting some leg muscle back and I do feel a little stronger. It's not easy or much fun, especially today's 1hr 45mins session, but the focussed and controlled workouts seem to be working for me and I can keep the HR at a sensible level whilst pushing the power. I have also stepped up the walking with a long climb each day.

We're off to Sherwood Forest on Friday for a week and I am taking the MTB. Hopefully I will be able to get in a couple of laps of Sherwood Pines each morning and not be too tired to do holiday stuff. Be nice to breathe fresh air too instead of sweat and wood preservative.

We're off to Sherwood Forest on Friday for a week and I am taking the MTB. Hopefully I will be able to get in a couple of laps of Sherwood Pines each morning and not be too tired to do holiday stuff. Be nice to breathe fresh air too instead of sweat and wood preservative.

Sherwood pines is great fun. Nice flowing corners - even uphill.
2 laps is decent. You're obviously doing well!

I get near Sherwood Pines fairly often for work - usually have the bike with me - and generally do ok as the climbs are short. The red route is good, could do with a few more rest sections for me though.

77 miles and 4940ft of climbing today. Stamford Bridge to Bridlington. Some of those bits of Wold are sizeable bumps!
Longest ride I've done.
Made tough by the byways (4WD fecked in parts) and bridleways of tufty grass :(. Discovered that Panaracer Gravel King tyres could also be called Panaracer Chalk Pawns!!
Fab fish butty in Brid almost made up for the very boring 10 miles in and out of Brid.

Think I'm a 60 milemaxman!

Last edited:
Was tootling through the local woods today and the medieval war reenactment lot were out playing again. There was something distinctly ironic about the disposable face masks they were all wearing with their dark-ages outfits. :D:D

Although I suppose they have plastic weapons.

Earlier today I was viewing the Lake District from Hartside hill, twenty odd miles away. Lovely weather, stunning landscape. Started chatting up two girly cyclists after I took a pic of them by the summit sign with their iPhones, then remembered my wife was in the car :cool:

Bit of maintenance today. Fitted a new chain. Wanted to take off the derailleur hanger, one bolt came off easily. The second, I managed to round the head!
I didn't fancy drilling it out. After a bit of googling, I tried placing a rubber band in the head and turning the alum key. Happy to say it worked a treat.

Fantastic cycling weekend for me with road/gravel ride on Saturday taking in various parts of Ranmore in the Surrey Hills. As I said to a cousin who is in a flat area, round my neck of the woods you just pick your combination of 5, 10, 15 and 20% gradients. Then on Saturday evening we took the Bromptons on the train for a London suit fitting, the first time my fiancée has done what had captivated me since I first got one in 2015 and bypassed the underground unless absolutely necessary.

She was mesmerised with the views from Waterloo bridge then riding road and paths taking in landmarks such as the Strand, Royal Opera House, Covent Garden, Shaftesbury theatres and Regent Street to our destination, sitting down for some Pad Thai afterwards and enjoying the night views when properly dark. Your mind is constantly taken back to your past adventures, commutes and places you have been but not with this ease of getting around. Exactly what Brommies are for and the memories stay with you, I enjoy it as much as my road, gravel and MTB riding.

Tested some e-MTBs last week:
Specialized Levo SL - crap
Orbea Rise M10 - quite good
Trek Rail - Fantastic!!!

Just wish I could actually buy one :(

Too expensive?

enjoyable 17 mile hilly road ride for me yesterday, I moved my Pacenti wheels with 19mm rim and White T11 hubs onto it since taking this pic for an even smoother ride, 10 year old frame, Campag Veloce, such an enjoyable bike and always feels far more expensive than the sum of its parts.

I’d planned to go on a pub crawl with the lads from work this coming Saturday, but I overspent on the holiday last week and I want to go shooting clays on Sunday, so… I’ll get to see the women’s Tour on Saturday which will pass right by our house in the afternoon. That’ll be ten seconds of fun!

If inflation (the real one, not the govt figures) carries on at the same rate, that will be a losing battle!

Bikes are only getting more expensive. Wheels are set to go through the roof due to high shipping costs.

If that happens I might sell a few sets as I've far too many! A lot are 26" MTB wheels though, so perhaps not that popular any more.

advertisement

Back