advertisement

Cycling log - random events in the day of a cyclist II

First ride today since about last August, I thought I'd suffer but I got a big ego boost whilst pootling through my estate and thinking "this 39T ring is tougher than I remember, this might hurt" only to look down and discover I was in fact in the big ring and two cogs down from top gear.

I put Strava on not as any sort of target but just to see how bad I am, was surprised to see I was only a couple of seconds down on some segments from when I was actually fit, it can only be down to the bike as this is the first time I've ridden the Gazelle on this route and I spent more time in the big ring than I expected, about 90% of it which was good. Didn't even have the nice wheels and tyres on as there was an issue before I set off so I quickly threw the spare wheels in, which are a lot heavier both wheel and tyre, will see if I can sort it tomorrow and give them a test.

Well in complete contrast to the other day, same loop felt bloody awful. Glad I didn't push on at the fork to my longer route like I was planning to.

I was talking to a cycling pal earlier today about a possible new bike. He pointed out that the manufacturers are starting to standardise on 27.5 for bikes in the smaller sizes and 29 for L/XL. This makes sense. I'm 5'6 and fall between Small and Med for most MTBs, I own MTBs in (old) sizes between 16 and 18. I've never ridden a 29 but the notion of putting 29" wheels over 2" wide on a 16" frame seems rather silly. If and when I get a new bike I think 27.5 x 2.3 -2.5 ish is likely to be the probable size.

I'm 5'9" and would be cautious about going for 29" wheels.
It took the manufacturers a few years to sort the geometry for 27.5", but once sorted there is no going back to 26"... unless you like trips OTB!
Maybe the geometry is sorted for 29'ers now? But I think you are right to be cautious if you're not lanky.
2.3" is a good width for XC. Tubeless and 25 PSI will deal with most terrain, unless you ride like a clod.

Really?
35 miles up the road from you and it was bloody hard work heading west!
Rode up (semi famous) Old Pool Bank with a 15MPH headwind - ooh felt that!
Jolly fast heading home though.
Modest headwind in the Peaks, nice tailwind up Froggatt. Can’t complain. Sun even came out.

100 km round Rothbury yesterday, the Otterburn ranges have been opened. Fantastic scenery and weather, but bloody hard work. Lots of sharp climbs, granny gear took some wear.

Bloody freezing here, 2 degC with a biting easterly wind. 90 minutes was enough for me then back home to warm up.

Bloody freezing here, 2 degC with a biting easterly wind. 90 minutes was enough for me then back home to warm up.
Lives in a cyclists paradise and then complains when it's a bit parky!

That said, the weather yesterday was extremely pleasant and very springlike for the NE of England and after a bloody hard winter. I'd have been jealous too.

Not sure if many here will know but Mark Reilly, master frame builder, teacher and bike builder sadly died much too early this week. I bought one of his amazing bikes about 3 years ago and it was a big treat for myself and is a lovely thing. RIP Mark

https://www.reillycycleworks.com/blogs/news
This was very sad news. I love my Gradient it's just good at everything. I understand that the Reilly company is planning to go on though.

Clocked a few miles round the Dales today. Punishing headwind (again) combined with the steady height gain on the way out was hard work, but rapid on the way back.

Interesting how many "neccessary" journeys were being undertaken in cabriolets with the lid down!
My wife reckons it's the local farmers keeping an eye on the lambs :rolleyes:

Clocked a few miles round the Dales today. Punishing headwind (again) combined with the steady height gain on the way out was hard work, but rapid on the way back.

Interesting how many "neccessary" journeys were being undertaken in cabriolets with the lid down!
My wife reckons it's the local farmers keeping an eye on the lambs :rolleyes:

Don't know where you are but there hasn't been "necessary" journeys only since about last June, aside from mask wearing you wouldn't know anything was amiss wherever I go.

Don't know where you are but there hasn't been "necessary" journeys only since about last June, aside from mask wearing you wouldn't know anything was amiss wherever I go.

Er..... national lockdown is only just starting to be lifted with schools back now.

advertisement

Back