advertisement

Cycling log - random events in the day of a cyclist II

B**locks, I've just had a crap day in the workshop. Rear wheel bearings playing up on the MTB. Took the wheel off, it's a Hope hub. On we go, looked up the how-to on the 'net, pressed out the bearings, all went fine until the last one tipped over, jammed and as I pressed it the hub split. Rang the shop, no longer serviced. Scrap. So I need the other rear wheel, that I rebuilt last year with conventional inexpensive Shimano bits. Meanwhile the brake pistons won't retract following a pad change and I'm still struggling to get the rebuilt forks working as I would like. I'm beginning to wonder if someone is telling me to get a new bike.

B**locks, I've just had a crap day in the workshop. Rear wheel bearings playing up on the MTB. Took the wheel off, it's a Hope hub. On we go, looked up the how-to on the 'net, pressed out the bearings, all went fine until the last one tipped over, jammed and as I pressed it the hub split. Rang the shop, no longer serviced. Scrap. So I need the other rear wheel, that I rebuilt last year with conventional inexpensive Shimano bits. Meanwhile the brake pistons won't retract following a pad change and I'm still struggling to get the rebuilt forks working as I would like. I'm beginning to wonder if someone is telling me to get a new bike.
Get a new bike

I'm just home from court after one of the two collisions that occurred in 2019 in which I'm the key witness and appellant was pushed back yet again. The driver in question regarding this incident was in his 60s so I reckon the courts will keep on pushing it back until one of us dies or Covid-19 is completely under control and nothing more serious than a common cold - till death do us part then it is! I understand it's the way things are but it's an inconvenience all the same.

Going to take a bike break - had a ride on my Ribble 105 gravel bike and really enjoyed it. Climbed off and was in a lot of pain - I have a hydrocele (fluid retention) in my testicle ,which has now gone from the cricket ball to the grapefruit stage . The treatment is fairly primitive but it can't come quick enough - but the NHS has other priorities at the mo. I'm wondering if a cut out saddle would help ?
Apologies to anyone indulging in a late night grapefruit.
Cheers
Tony
Bad luck Tony and hope it’s sorted soon. I’m not sure a cutout will help, as I understand it that’s to relieve the Perinium for those sensitive to pressure right against Wiffin’s Bridge. I can luckily ride both types of saddle having Fizik Arione as the flat example and Spec Ronin and similar of the cutout type, although my preference is a cutout or a recess given a choice. I think your plums will still be between the top of the thigh and the side of the saddle whichever you choose. But underwear (sacrilege for the purist brigade) and bib shorts/tights can help you ‘lift’ them and relieve the pressure

Bad luck Tony and hope it’s sorted soon. I’m not sure a cutout will help, as I understand it that’s to relieve the Perinium for those sensitive to pressure right against Wiffin’s Bridge. I can luckily ride both types of saddle having Fizik Arione as the flat example and Spec Ronin and similar of the cutout type, although my preference is a cutout or a recess given a choice. I think your plums will still be between the top of the thigh and the side of the saddle whichever you choose. But underwear (sacrilege for the purist brigade) and bib shorts/tights can help you ‘lift’ them and relieve the pressure
A mate of mine had it, has had an operation which seems to have cured it; I really don't think a change of saddle will help & a cut out is probably worse.

A mate of mine had it, has had an operation which seems to have cured it; I really don't think a change of saddle will help & a cut out is probably worse.
I think that you're right - I'm going to put my bike away until it's resolved - I think that it's likely to be a year or so based on NHS waiting lists in Wales.
Plenty to occupy me though - my running is an alternative and have recently acquired a Border Collie and a new polytunnel.
Thanks for the advice and support all - hope to be posting on this thread again sometime.
Cheers

Tony

I think that you're right - I'm going to put my bike away until it's resolved - I think that it's likely to be a year or so based on NHS waiting lists in Wales.
Plenty to occupy me though - my running is an alternative and have recently acquired a Border Collie and a new polytunnel.
Thanks for the advice and support all - hope to be posting on this thread again sometime.
Cheers

Tony
My mate continued to cycle even though the area was quite engorged, it may well settle down enough that you can ride. Just see how it goes. I think he ended up going private in the end.

B**locks, I've just had a crap day in the workshop... Hope hub... Scrap. I'm beginning to wonder if someone is telling me to get a new bike.
I'm less distraught about this now. I think it is time for a new bike. The default wheel sizes have changed and now is as good a time as any. I haven't bought a "new" bike since 2012, that was used and Eu 40, before that it was 2007 and a used Kona MTB for £200 that now seems to be all but worn out. So none of them owe me anything. The technology has moved on. In addition, I have looked at the remains of the wheel that I wrecked, to be fair the rest of it isn't worth huge reconditioning expense. The spokes are chewed up on the drive side and bent from the derailleur crashing into them when the hanger broke, and the rim is a nice thing (Mavic 317 disc) but it's seen 15 years of use. I could rebuild it, but by the time I have bought a new set of 32 spokes and a hub I could buy a new wheel.

It is starting to get a bit more difficult to support the older 26" wheel size standard for mountain bikes. I already had a lot of spares but have added to that (mainly wheels and tyres) - partly due to the existing investment I have in that wheel size, but also because I don't like the look of the clown wheel 29er mountain bikes. I've never actually ridden a 29er though, so I probably will need to do that at some point, to see what I think.

On saddles - for road bikes I definitely prefer saddles with a cutout and I think all of my road bikes (and probably most of the mountain bikes) have ended up with Specialized body geometry saddles as I get on well with them. I do have a Brooks B17 and did find that comfortable, however that also ended up getting replaced by a Specialized BG one.

You really should try a 29er. I think they are perfect for your kind of fast XC riding.

It's a sour apple to bite if you have a stash of 26" spares, but I think you would really love the way a 29" rolls.

The New Super Long geometry is more of an acquired taste, I grant you, but the big wheel is a no brainer.

Saddles are a really personal thing. I really didn’t get on with Specialized saddle on my Tarmac, replaced it with Fizik one which just works for me.

The New Super Long geometry is more of an acquired taste, I grant you.
Oh Christ, we aren't back in the mid 90s with the 150mm stems, zero degree rise and the Superman stance are we? Best thing I ever did with that was get a shorter stem with a bit of lift.

You really should try a 29er. I think they are perfect for your kind of fast XC riding.

It's a sour apple to bite if you have a stash of 26" spares, but I think you would really love the way a 29" rolls.

The New Super Long geometry is more of an acquired taste, I grant you, but the big wheel is a no brainer.

I understand that for speed over easier terrain the 29er is likely to be faster, but I also do a lot of winding stuff through the trees and I've also heard from a lot of folks that the bigger wheels aren't as fun for that.

All my (admittedly very few!) KOM's were set on 26" wheels but none of them on my Epic (which is by a good margin my fastest MTB) but when I start losing those to 29ers I'll have another look! On most of those I'm more concerned about gravel/XC bikes - in most cases because those types of bikes should be pretty fast over the terrain (and in a couple of cases I took the KOM from someone riding a gravel bike), and in one case it's so horrible and bumpy I reckon it'd be faster to run it with a light bike over the shoulders!

I was talking to a cycling pal earlier today about a possible new bike. He pointed out that the manufacturers are starting to standardise on 27.5 for bikes in the smaller sizes and 29 for L/XL. This makes sense. I'm 5'6 and fall between Small and Med for most MTBs, I own MTBs in (old) sizes between 16 and 18. I've never ridden a 29 but the notion of putting 29" wheels over 2" wide on a 16" frame seems rather silly. If and when I get a new bike I think 27.5 x 2.3 -2.5 ish is likely to be the probable size.

I think you would both have to try both wheel sizes.

It is true that some manufacturers are offering both 27,5 and 29, and suggesting 27,5 is more agile.

But I would strongly recommend at least trying the 29 even if it is counter intuitive.

BTW, Super Long means a 600mm top tube/50mm stem instead of a 500mm top tube/150mm stem.
Reach is the same, but your weight is a lot more centered between the wheels, particularly with the slacker fork angles.

I love it, but maybe not for everyone.

For the first time this year, I found myself cycling in dry conditions that afforded good reliable grip on the road There have been lots of dry days already this year but today's been the first day that I've been cycling when it was both dry and adequately warm enough to produce good grip so that you could take corners at speeds not seen since last Autumn. Spring is in the air, chaps... and it's already on the road !!!

advertisement

Back