advertisement

Cycling log - random events in the day of a cyclist II

Was out on the MTB yesterday and came across the Doberman that attacked me a few weeks ago. It was muzzled and on a lead. I stopped and asked the owner if it was safe to pass, he said it was but the dog went bezerk as I passed.
Thank goodness it was on a lead and muzzled. Must be awful for the owners to find out their dog is a psycho!

Was out on the MTB yesterday and came across the Doberman that attacked me a few weeks ago. It was muzzled and on a lead. I stopped and asked the owner if it was safe to pass, he said it was but the dog went bezerk as I passed.
Thank goodness it was on a lead and muzzled. Must be awful for the owners to find out their dog is a psycho!
That was good of you. I'd be thinking of reporting a dangerous Doberman to the police. I missed your post about being attacked but that really isn't something that should happen. Stay safe.

Another one finished off, I actually ride this one as it is a great fit for a change. Looking forward to giving it a blast when the weather picks up some more.

Not a fancy Champion Mondial Gazelle, pretty entry level Trim Trophy with just 531 butted main tubes. Full Shimano 600 Tricolour groupset aside from the levers which are NOS 105.

More sensibly kitted out than the previous Woodrup, standard 39/52 up front and 13-25 7sp rear. Wheels are a lovely light set of Wolber Profils on Campag Record hubs with Vittoria latex tubes and Veloflex Records, all in at 10.4kg which isn't bad considering the frame.

A fair bit colder this week than the weekend unfortunately. Managed to get out last couple of days before work so cannot complain.

It's been bl**dy cold here. Yesterday morning was -10C and the midday temperature was -2C, along with 50mph winds. A good day for being indoors on the spin bike. Hoping to venture out at lunch today for 45 minutes because it'll be a balmy 6C.

Still recovering from a concussion received on Sunday when I tried to roll over a jump that wasn't for rolling over. New lid in the post. At 48 I may be too old for this.

Still recovering from a concussion received on Sunday when I tried to roll over a jump that wasn't for rolling over. New lid in the post. At 48 I may be too old for this.

I get that feeling from time to time - usually when I've decided to jump a double then, when in midair, realised that my ambition had exceeded my skills! I've been amazed how much trouble the bike's suspension can get me out of at times though.

Another one finished off, I actually ride this one as it is a great fit for a change. Looking forward to giving it a blast when the weather picks up some more.

Not a fancy Champion Mondial Gazelle, pretty entry level Trim Trophy with just 531 butted main tubes. Full Shimano 600 Tricolour groupset aside from the levers which are NOS 105.

More sensibly kitted out than the previous Woodrup, standard 39/52 up front and 13-25 7sp rear. Wheels are a lovely light set of Wolber Profils on Campag Record hubs with Vittoria latex tubes and Veloflex Records, all in at 10.4kg which isn't bad considering the frame.

That's a really lovely looking bike - apart from the saddle which would for me would be the worst form of torture.

That's a really lovely looking bike - apart from the saddle which would for me would be the worst form of torture.

San Marco Rolls, a classic, I have three on different bikes! I've tried more than my fair share and always seem to come back to them, apart from that they just look right.

OK, so this may be sacrilege but here is my fusion of the 80’s and 20’s. Last week was the first time I had been on my bike for 10 years and 20 years since I did any serious distance. Restoring any fitness since a heart attack 8 years ago has been a struggle, but now I have a serious motivation. Last week I loaded our bikes into the van, picked up my 8 year old grandson from school, drove half way home, parked up the van and we rode about 5Km up the old railway line gradually ascending about 200mtrs. It was tough for both of us. Before lockdown the grandson was doing rugby club, swimming club, etc, and so his fitness could do with some work too but I guess his gains will be a lot quicker than mine, so hence the cycling aid so that I can keep up with him as he improves.

I seriously considered three front wheel conversion kits, Cytronix, Swytch and Bafang. The Cytronix one was interesting but I didn’t see any advantage over the Dillenger except for its stealth value and the smaller battery for an extra £200 made that a no go. I didn’t like the idea of mounting the battery on the handlebars of the Swytch one, add to that they won’t be available until May so that was off the list too. The other contender was the Bafang kit which was about £200 less, but I wasn’t keen on the battery being on a rack over the rear wheel and some comments about the plastic drive gears wearing out if used on hills ruled that one out too as hills are a fact of life here so the Dillenger kit won for my requirement.
I fitted the kit and took it for a shakedown ride to make sure everything was working as it should, and then tidied up the wiring as best I could but wish I had some sort of enclosure I could hide the excess wiring in. Something like the headlight shell of old school motorbikes. So the pics show what I think is a reasonable compromise.

album-72157718542898276
https://www.flickr.com/photos/187930245@N02/51009557752/in/album-72157718542898276/
album-72157718542898276
https://www.flickr.com/photos/187930245@N02/51008752223/in/album-72157718542898276/

How To Post Images

Image has to be online some where like your flickr box
Right click on image pick copy image location
Go to the top bar in the posting box
Click on the little picture to the right of the smiley
Paste into image URL Press insert
Job done

I have a friend that collects Gazelles and would like this. The last time we rode together he had one built up with the now deleted Campag Potenza groupset. Very nice looking bike.

advertisement

Back