advertisement

Cycling log - random events in the day of a cyclist II

I'm not sure why you're having issues without paying, I can see my performance and copy it into a thread here no problem. The only thing it wants me to pay for is the detailed performance info.

I am currently on the 60 day free trial of the paid bits so I'll see how I feel about it at the end whether to keep it or not.
I don't have issues, just thought I could put the basic info up on my mac. Strava is a great app, so I'll see in a couple of weeks about the free trial and then maybe taking their offer up.

I'm pleased you managed to ignore everything else I said.

It would probably have been better if he'd just ignored you completely as often that's the best path when confronted with intolerance and bigotry.

Arguing with someone who doesn't cycle themselves but chose to post on a cycling thread about their general hatred towards cyclists isn't really someone worth arguing with IMHO.

In the end went for Strava, on iPhone and watch. Couldn't find a method to put it on my mac without paying - is that the case? Was going to share my abysmal performance, but, again, you seem to have to pay .

Is there a way around this?

I think you could just use it through the browser, rather than the app. I much prefer the desktop version rather than the app on my iPad, the app lacks options and looks basic. (The app is fine on my iphone).

I'm pleased you managed to ignore everything else I said.
The rest of your post didn’t really do a lot for me either but you used the words.

Today I witnessed a car so eager to get past me on a narrow country lane he nearly collided with a cyclist coming the other way. The oncoming rider had to stop completely. The driver of the vehicle then parked up about 150 yards away so he could go for walk.

A little further on a driver of a red Audi overtook some cyclists on a blind bend & almost drove into me. He was closely followed by two motorcyclists performing the same manoeuvre.

But you are quite right those cyclists using their bells to announce their presence are the real menace.

I think you could just use it through the browser, rather than the app. I much prefer the desktop version rather than the app on my iPad, the app lacks options and looks basic. (The app is fine on my iphone).
Yes, that was what I thought, too, but haven't yet been able to get any info onto my mac. I agree with your comments re the iPhone vs iPad, can't comment on the other :)

To make it clear, usually when I use my ding dong bell there is someone with their back to me walking up the middle of the path, it is not really safe to pass either side because if they decide to move into my path I could easily hit them, even at 6-7mph someone is going to get hurt. A polite bell from a distance allows everyone a chance sort themselves out.

Groups are also an issue, they are often so caught up in conversation that they are unaware even of a bike approaching from the front. The bell can be a polite way let them know someone is coming. I always thank pedestrians as I pass and dog owners who control their pets.

The paths I'm usually on are purpose built multi-user paths with plenty of width. Older narrow paths such as towpaths are a different story.

I cycle every day. I am not serious cyclist; I do not wear lycra emblazoned with some cycling team no one but a serious cyclist would recognise, and probably smirk at the wearer for supporting such losers; I do not use Strava; I feel no sense of entitlement.

Almost every day I feel intimidated by motorists - including motorcyclists whom you would think would have some affinity with a fellow two wheeled user.

For me it is this simple: people on foot and on animals have absolute priority wherever they are.

The bicycle is my main form of transport, and I cycle at least to or three times a day. At the moment I also do a training run a few times a week mainly for fitness reasons as am planning a few tours in the NT and Thailand.

I use cycling shorts on the longer runs for comfort reasons. Lycra - yes, nice bright colours, dry the sweat quickly, easy to be seen. No comment re Strava, it's good for training plus long trips.

Using the Cav scale, does that make me a cycling nerd?

Don't need a ding dong bell with a dt swiss freehub.

Another glorious day here in the North Downs. 50km and 800m ascent. 70% offroad.

Yes, I've fitted my other rear wheel to the mtb, it has a Hope hub that's nice and noisy. Sounds like a jamjar full of angry wasps.

I have sympathy with Cavs view on lycra. I own plenty of shit expensive bib shorts, though all plain black. I've never worn cycling tops though, usually a super lightweight poly/merino LS top, hot or cold. I do like a good cycling specific waterproof though, the Endura SL 40k and Gore shake dry jackets being the current favs. I'd rather ride in the rain than a hot day, I hate the sun, and sun tan cream totally shags the lens coating and nose rubbers on decent sunglasses.

The rest of your post didn’t really do a lot for me either but you used the words.

Today I witnessed a car so eager Edit: Etc.. blah blah.) But you are quite right those cyclists using their bells to announce their presence are the real menace.

You seem quite determined to either deflect from.. or misunderstand the point I'm making. There really is no need for you to give examples of the bad behaviour of motorists, motorcyclists etc. Firstly, I'm not going to defend such behaviour and secondly you are merely engaged in whataboutery.

You seem to be having great difficulty grasping my basic point.

I'll try again.

There are many footpaths IN THE COUNTRYSIDE around where I live. Most of these are designated Public Footpaths, are intended for the use of people on foot (The clue is in the appellation) and are indicated, where they are accessed from the 'metalled' road by a little sign,often green and white, sometimes of natural wood, often bearing a graphic of a walking person. (Another clue)

https://www.google.com/search?tbm=i...QxMy4ymAEAoAEBqgELZ3dzLXdpei1pbWc&sclient=img

Many of these footpaths pre-date the bicycle and are intended for the sole use of walkers. Furthermore, they typically have 'waymarkers' comprising Yellow arrows, which indicate the way on at corners, junctions etc. The Yellow arrow further reinforces the message as it is the designated colour for waymarking footpaths. Other colours indicate other types of rights of way, such as Bridleways and Restricted Byways including those designated for the use of cyclists and horses.

https://assets.publishing.service.g...data/file/414626/waymarking-rights-of-way.pdf

With me so far?

The recent increase in the popularity of cycling, coupled with the development of assorted 'off road' cycles, which , for brevity, I shall group under 'mountain bikes', means that it is entirely possible for people on the right sort of cycle to access footpaths. (Not to mention woodland.. but that's another story....)

My point is that this does not mean that they should. I doubt any walker would choose to walk on a designated mountain bike trail.. so why should a cyclist assume it is OK to ride on a footpath? It is selfish and dangerous.

The bicycle is my main form of transport, and I cycle at least to or three times a day. At the moment I also do a training run a few times a week mainly for fitness reasons as am planning a few tours in the NT and Thailand.

I use cycling shorts on the longer runs for comfort reasons. Lycra - yes, nice bright colours, dry the sweat quickly, easy to be seen. No comment re Strava, it's good for training plus long trips.

Using the Cav scale, does that make me a cycling nerd?
Whoosh! that was my point going over you head. Wear what you want but realise where you are in the path/trail/road pecking order.

Whoosh! that was my point going over you head. Wear what you want but realise where you are in the path/trail/road pecking norder.
Double whoosh! Fell straight into the trap :)
The norder strikes again!

I have sympathy with Cavs view on lycra. I own plenty of shit expensive bib shorts, though all plain black. I've never worn cycling tops though, usually a super lightweight poly/merino LS top, hot or cold. I do like a good cycling specific waterproof though, the Endura SL 40k and Gore shake dry jackets being the current favs. I'd rather ride in the rain than a hot day, I hate the sun, and sun tan cream totally shags the lens coating and nose rubbers on decent sunglasses.
I don't care what anybody wears; what about "people on foot and on animals have absolute priority wherever they are" do you not get?

It would probably have been better if he'd just ignored you completely as often that's the best path when confronted with intolerance and bigotry.

Arguing with someone who doesn't cycle themselves but chose to post on a cycling thread about their general hatred towards cyclists isn't really someone worth arguing with IMHO.

I'm struggling to avoid calling you some choice names but I'll just content myself with the notion that you....just like Woodface, saw my observations and rather than reading and understanding, immediately decided that I hate cyclists.

But, I'll forgive your failure to comprehend basic English and move on. I have no problem with cyclists, apart perhaps from the tendency of a minority of them to assume that they invented cycling, that someone who doesn't cycle now has never cycled, etc..

So.. I'll just move on and refer you to my reply to Woodface. It's not worth my time doing more.

You seem quite determined to either deflect from.. or misunderstand the point I'm making. There really is no need for you to give examples of the bad behaviour of motorists, motorcyclists etc. Firstly, I'm not going to defend such behaviour and secondly you are merely engaged in whataboutery.

You seem to be having great difficulty grasping my basic point.

I'll try again.

There are many footpaths IN THE COUNTRYSIDE around where I live. Most of these are designated Public Footpaths, are intended for the use of people on foot (The clue is in the appellation) and are indicated, where they are accessed from the 'metalled' road by a little sign,often green and white, sometimes of natural wood, often bearing a graphic of a walking person. (Another clue)

https://www.google.com/search?tbm=i...QxMy4ymAEAoAEBqgELZ3dzLXdpei1pbWc&sclient=img

Many of these footpaths pre-date the bicycle and are intended for the sole use of walkers. Furthermore, they typically have 'waymarkers' comprising Yellow arrows, which indicate the way on at corners, junctions etc. The Yellow arrow further reinforces the message as it is the designated colour for waymarking footpaths. Other colours indicate other types of rights of way, such as Bridleways and Restricted Byways including those designated for the use of cyclists and horses.

https://assets.publishing.service.g...data/file/414626/waymarking-rights-of-way.pdf

With me so far?

The recent increase in the popularity of cycling, coupled with the development of assorted 'off road' cycles, which , for brevity, I shall group under 'mountain bikes', means that it is entirely possible for people on the right sort of cycle to access footpaths. (Not to mention woodland.. but that's another story....)

My point is that this does not mean that they should. I doubt any walker would choose to walk on a designated mountain bike trail.. so why should a cyclist assume it is OK to ride on a footpath? It is selfish and dangerous.
I understand your point fully. I’m afraid you cannot expect to have woodland to yourself, there will be incidences where you will have to share space with other users. I don’t believe adults should cycle on footpaths, I do think there should be better provision for cyclists in cities to separate these from cars & pedestrians.

My main issue was your tone, rather condescending, the phrase that you could tolerate cyclists on the road was, frankly, ridiculous.

I’m afraid it is the motorist who swallows up all the resources so perhaps your attention would be better levelled in that direction.

My post wasn’t about ‘whataboutery’ but merely an illustration how people who walk often drive to their destination & how that compares to the humble cyclist just trying to do their exercise.

I live very close to the TPT, so fully understand how shared spaces can work, it relies on cooperation rather than battle lines.

advertisement

Back