advertisement

Cycling log - random events in the day of a cyclist II

Theres sign posted, professionally built mtb tracks in privately owned and managed woods local to me in sheffield. All fully approved etc, etc. Do you get walkers coming up them from the bottom despite them being littered with ramps, berms and no walking signs, of course you do. You even get horses traipsing up them, which is potentially lethal.

There exists a cohort of outdoor activity participants on all sides, who either dont read, or don't care about tiered access and are willing to put themselves and others in harm's way through selfishness or stupidity.

Personally, I dont smash down an mtb trail I cant visually navigate sufficiently far ahead of my physical position to ensure safety. But I absolutely will ride any footpath that isnt a SSSI and do it in a careful and sympathetic fashion for other users.

Horse use trails I just avoid, they're big, unpredictable and it's not worth it.

I'm weighing up ideas for saddle security - especially Mrs CS' brand new B66S on the tandem.

There are replacement screws with security heads, but they're quite expensive and maybe I won't be able to find the tool when I need it. Maybe just use a security torx screw?

Some people put a little magnet or superglue a ball bearing inside the screw head. Cheap and easy and maybe good enough to deter most thieves?

And there's the good old loop of bike chain through the frame and seat rail. Not the most elegant but allows for easy adjustment of the seat.

Any alternatives I've missed?

I have a seat clamp with a security 5-point fitting, it works on wheels too. To be honest it's a chore to have to remember the key every time. If you glue a bearing inside the screw, how are you going to get it out when you need to? A security TX would be secure enough, or to be honest an Allen bolt. Do opportunistic thieves generally carry a 5mm Allen key?

I wouldn't mess about with a bit of bike chain. If you are that bothered buy a cheap lock. I'd say that if you are leaving your bike where the seat could be stolen you should be more worried about the whole thing being stolen and ridden away.

I have sometimes secured small items with a loop of brake cable inner and a clamp, say a cable clamp from an electrical plug. Yes, I suppose a thief could unscrew the thing with a screwdriver, but they could steal the whole bike.

I don't tend to leave my bikes outside for long however when I do carry additional cable loops so I can make sure the saddle and wheels are secured. The additional cables I use are Kryptonite ones (£11.50 for a 7-foot one on Wiggle at the moment) which weight 0.5kg, so not too heavy. For commuting it's not too bad 'cause you can leave the locks and cables at the office, rather than carry them every day - otherwise you can end up with a fair weight of cables and locks.

For rides with cafe stops on the road bike I carry as small chain and lock however that's only really useful for attaching the frame to something, so not something I'd rely on where there was any significant risk or if I was leaving the bike for a while.

Theres sign posted, professionally built mtb tracks in privately owned and managed woods local to me in sheffield. All fully approved etc, etc. Do you get walkers coming up them from the bottom despite them being littered with ramps, berms and no walking signs, of course you do. You even get horses traipsing up them, which is potentially lethal.

There exists a cohort of outdoor activity participants on all sides, who either dont read, or don't care about tiered access and are willing to put themselves and others in harm's way through selfishness or stupidity.

Personally, I dont smash down an mtb trail I cant visually navigate sufficiently far ahead of my physical position to ensure safety. But I absolutely will ride any footpath that isnt a SSSI and do it in a careful and sympathetic fashion for other users.

Horse use trails I just avoid, they're big, unpredictable and it's not worth it.
One of the reasons I no longer mountain bike is coming into contact with horses & their manure, it is not very nice to ride through.

One of the reasons I no longer mountain bike is coming into contact with horses & their manure, it is not very nice to ride through.

I've always found it odd that dog owners like me pick up their dogs waste, but that you'll often see massive piles or horse manure often just left right in the middle of paths. I'm not suggesting that they should carry it back with them, but at least they should move it off the paths.

I've always found it odd that dog owners like me pick up their dogs waste, but that you'll often see massive piles or horse manure often just left right in the middle of paths. I'm not suggesting that they should carry it back with them, but at least they should move it off the paths.
It really is unpleasant, flies settle on it & then take flight as you ride past. Riding through a plague of shit covered insects is not nice.

There are an awful lot of homeless people in Portland, and I've seen some camps where they have a lot of bikes that they strip down and reconfigure. I often see them walking around with seats and wheels. I guess a 5mm Allen key is in a few pockets so I'd like it to be slightly more secure.

I realise there's no stopping the determined thief but if I can turn a ten second job into a minute job that would probably be enough.

I took the slightly rebuilt Cotic Soul out for a spin tonight and what a difference even just the change to lighter forks and faster rolling tyres has made. Much quicker up the initial road climb for the same HR, and faster everywhere else as well. 3 PR's and several 2nd's and 3rd's as well. I had a go at the segment where I'm currently sitting 4th overall but was miles away from the time I set on my Epic as it's one place where the full-suspension seemed to help a lot in being able to keep pedaling hard through the bumpy/rooty stuff. Tonights time on that segment would have seen me 17th overall though (out of 1400+) so wasn't that slow.

More importantly the bike is just more fun to ride with more of an XC build. The 3x9 drivetrain on it is pretty knackered though, so I've got some bits coming to try it with a 1x set-up - with an 11:42 cassette and either a 34 or 36 chainring.

170797319.nN9Oyvvq.fs102.jpg

I understand your point fully. I’m afraid you cannot expect to have woodland to yourself, there will be incidences where you will have to share space with other users. I don’t believe adults should cycle on footpaths, I do think there should be better provision for cyclists in cities to separate these from cars & pedestrians.

I agree on provision in cities, but I don't live in a city and I'm not making that point. Also you are correct that adults shouldn't cycle on footpaths, but I still wonder if you grasp the sort of path I mean.

Clearly some woodland has shared use paths. However, my nearest woodland is managed by the Woodland Trust and has styles on all entrances clearly intended to exclude all but foot traffic. Bikers have created an alternate route into the wood and created havoc in there. I have quite literally had people appearing in mid air ahead of me on bikes. One half of the wood is completely overtaken by bikers whose efforts have almost completely destroyed the woodland floor, upon which the trees themselves depend for existence, via symbiotic relationships with fungi. I've even encountered groups of them with shovels. When I politely enquired as to their purpose they told me the shovels were for 'clearing the weeds'. I politely pointed out that the 'weeds' were natural woodland flora and essential for the wellbeing of the whole woodland. I was greeted with looks of puzzlement. I also frequently find rocks, logs etc., piled up in the paths, presumably to provide 'jumps' etc. A rare and precious woodland all but destroyed by cyclists. It matters not whether they are young or old etc. It is the culture of 'cycling anywhere' which has caused this.

My main issue was your tone, rather condescending, the phrase that you could tolerate cyclists on the road was, frankly, ridiculous.

OK. Poor wording. I'll give you that one.

I’m afraid it is the motorist who swallows up all the resources so perhaps your attention would be better levelled in that direction.

Not really. That's another debate. I'm talking about cyclists and publicly accessible 'off road' spaces. And you also know that many 'modern' cyclists use cycles as just another hobby and have more than one bike, on top of their multiple cars and possibly a motorcycle too.

My post wasn’t about ‘whataboutery’ but merely an illustration how people who walk often drive to their destination & how that compares to the humble cyclist just trying to do their exercise.

I'm not talking about driving to a walk. I leave my house and walk 50 yards and am in open country on public, rural footpaths. I'm fortunate. Or I bought wisely 40 years ago...

The 'humble' cyclist? Really? I have long time friends who are 'humble' cyclists. They ride everywhere and in all weathers, the bicycle is their preferred method of transport. It is not a fashion accessory or a 'pose' and they don't ponce about in lycra.

I do accept that some walkers drive to a walk. I couldn't walk in Derbyshire without driving there. I'm no longer that fast. But, I see many cars with Bike racks on the back or the top.... It's another diversion. The point is the FOOTpaths, and whether bikers should be on them.

Then there is a failure of regulation somewhere.. and it's even more glaring given that the land is Private.

This is correct.

Part 1. Self preservation and avoidance of possible legal sanctions. Very sensible. Part 2. Very noble of you.. but you are still where you should not be on your bike. As in all other pedestrian only areas, you should dismount and push your bicycle until such time as you reach a permitted cycling area again.

The Horses are the same...

I agree on provision in cities, but I don't live in a city and I'm not making that point. Also you are correct that adults shouldn't cycle on footpaths, but I still wonder if you grasp the sort of path I mean.

Clearly some woodland has shared use paths. However, my nearest woodland is managed by the Woodland Trust and has styles on all entrances clearly intended to exclude all but foot traffic. Bikers have created an alternate route into the wood and created havoc in there. I have quite literally had people appearing in mid air ahead of me on bikes. One half of the wood is completely overtaken by bikers whose efforts have almost completely destroyed the woodland floor, upon which the trees themselves depend for existence, via symbiotic relationships with fungi. I've even encountered groups of them with shovels. When I politely enquired as to their purpose they told me the shovels were for 'clearing the weeds'. I politely pointed out that the 'weeds' were natural woodland flora and essential for the wellbeing of the whole woodland. I was greeted with looks of puzzlement. I also frequently find rocks, logs etc., piled up in the paths, presumably to provide 'jumps' etc. A rare and precious woodland all but destroyed by cyclists. It matters not whether they are young or old etc. It is the culture of 'cycling anywhere' which has caused this.

OK. Poor wording. I'll give you that one.

Not really. That's another debate. I'm talking about cyclists and publicly accessible 'off road' spaces. And you also know that many 'modern' cyclists use cycles as just another hobby and have more than one bike, on top of their multiple cars and possibly a motorcycle too.

I'm not talking about driving to a walk. I leave my house and walk 50 yards and am in open country on public, rural footpaths. I'm fortunate. Or I bought wisely 40 years ago...

The 'humble' cyclist? Really? I have long time friends who are 'humble' cyclists. They ride everywhere and in all weathers, the bicycle is their preferred method of transport. It is not a fashion accessory or a 'pose' and they don't ponce about in lycra.

I do accept that some walkers drive to a walk. I couldn't walk in Derbyshire without driving there. I'm no longer that fast. But, I see many cars with Bike racks on the back or the top.... It's another diversion. The point is the FOOTpaths, and whether bikers should be on them.
It sounds as though you have a group of mountain bikers making trails, I cannot condone this, not really my thing. We do have some consented MTB trails in Sheffield which are managed by volunteers but this is mandated.

‘Ponce about in Lycra’, totally provocative & stupid term. I wear Lycra as it is appropriate for the activity I do, just as someone who plays football or cricket would dress in a relevant manner.

You keep using the word ‘modern’ in a pejorative sense which is bizarre, time’s change. I cycle from my front door, I don’t drive with my bike unless I am going on holiday or to visit my parents.

Rather than complain on here why don’t you contact the woodland trust & share your concerns, they probably have wardens who can help?

‘Ponce about in Lycra’, totally provocative & stupid term. I wear Lycra as it is appropriate for the activity I do, just as someone who plays football or cricket would dress in a relevant manner.

Indeed. I don't wear lycra because I think I look good in it, quite the reverse in fact. It is however the most (perhaps only) appropriate clothing for some of the cycling I do.

You keep using the word ‘modern’ in a pejorative sense which is bizarre, time’s change.

There are lots of old befuddled NIMBY's around that don't understand that the world has changed and doesn't follow what they regard as the rules anymore.

Here in Scotland we have rather more enlightened access laws so we don't get quite the same level of NIMBYism as seems to be the case in England. You do still see haters that think:
- bikes shouldn't be on the road, roads being just for cars etc. (I've only ever had passing drivers shout "get off the road" in England, where it happened quite a few times, never had that in Scotland).
- bikes shouldn't be off-road, off-road just being for walkers etc.
Not sure where they think we should ride in fact - probably they just want us to disappear completely so they can drive their cars to where they want to walk - without having to observe cyclists anywhere, on or off road. Although when driving they'd lose the fun they get from trying to pass us as close as possible and as fast as possible...

We still have problems though, however it's down to a tiny minority of the overall users of outdoor spaces, and in many cases it's ignorance rather than anything deliberate (e.g. walkers that aren't aware they're on shared use paths, often with headphones and oblivious of anyone coming up from behind even if they ping a bell for example). One of the key routes near my house is a pathway (and old railway line) along a river that runs quite a few miles from where I live on the edge of the Pentlands into Edinburgh. That's a very popular route for all sorts of folks, but it's not uncommon for walkers to get upset when they see bikes there and tell folks off for riding on it - when not only is it a shared use route, it's also a key part of the national cycle network and very well signposted as such. Unfortunately there are also a minority of mountain bikers that treat it as part of a downhill race track when heading home from the hills, with little or no regard for anyone else using it - which gives a bad impression of bikers generally, even though it's only a very few that behave like that. There are also dog walkers that don't control their dogs on the route, and families that don't control their kids - so those few irresponsible mountain bikers aren't the only irresponsible users.

I have the occasional conversation in the hills from folks who think bikes shouldn't be in certain places (they normally do this by straddling the path with arms splayed to make me stop so they can berate me), however without exception they are always wrong - and thankfully the local ranger service publish guidance on it, so it's easy to demonstrate they are wrong as well. I also get the general impression they're not regular or experienced hill users either.

Anyone who criticises those who cycle in Lycra should try spending a few hours on a saddle in their favourite shorts and underwear. Or playing football in slippers. Or riding a motorbike in vest, shorts and flip flops.

nyone who criticises those who cycle in Lycra should try spending a few hours on a saddle in their favourite shorts and underwear.

From the shape of those who usually do the criticising then I expect they'd croak with a heart attack long before getting to a few hours. They probably think cycling should be restricted to riding to the shops or work by those beneath them in society who can't afford a car.

Indeed. I don't wear lycra because I think I look good in it, quite the reverse in fact. It is however the most (perhaps only) appropriate clothing for some of the cycling I do.

There are lots of old befuddled NIMBY's around that don't understand that the world has changed and doesn't follow what they regard as the rules anymore.

Here in Scotland we have rather more enlightened access laws so we don't get quite the same level of NIMBYism as seems to be the case in England. You do still see haters that think:
- bikes shouldn't be on the road, roads being just for cars etc. (I've only ever had passing drivers shout "get off the road" in England, where it happened quite a few times, never had that in Scotland).
- bikes shouldn't be off-road, off-road just being for walkers etc.
Not sure where they think we should ride in fact - probably they just want us to disappear completely so they can drive their cars to where they want to walk - without having to observe cyclists anywhere, on or off road. Although when driving they'd lose the fun they get from trying to pass us as close as possible and as fast as possible...

We still have problems though, however it's down to a tiny minority of the overall users of outdoor spaces, and in many cases it's ignorance rather than anything deliberate (e.g. walkers that aren't aware they're on shared use paths, often with headphones and oblivious of anyone coming up from behind even if they ping a bell for example). One of the key routes near my house is a pathway (and old railway line) along a river that runs quite a few miles from where I live on the edge of the Pentlands into Edinburgh. That's a very popular route for all sorts of folks, but it's not uncommon for walkers to get upset when they see bikes there and tell folks off for riding on it - when not only is it a shared use route, it's also a key part of the national cycle network and very well signposted as such. Unfortunately there are also a minority of mountain bikers that treat it as part of a downhill race track when heading home from the hills, with little or no regard for anyone else using it - which gives a bad impression of bikers generally, even though it's only a very few that behave like that. There are also dog walkers that don't control their dogs on the route, and families that don't control their kids - so those few irresponsible mountain bikers aren't the only irresponsible users.

I have the occasional conversation in the hills from folks who think bikes shouldn't be in certain places (they normally do this by straddling the path with arms splayed to make me stop so they can berate me), however without exception they are always wrong - and thankfully the local ranger service publish guidance on it, so it's easy to demonstrate they are wrong as well. I also get the general impression they're not regular or experienced hill users either.
It’s one of the many reasons I no longer MTB, I don’t think shared paths work. When I am riding I treat it as exercise, I like to get the heart rate up etc & this doesn’t work on certain shared routes like the TPT. Dog walkers with leads, large family groups etc; I am too cowardly for the technical stuff.

What grinds my gears is that I guarantee the complainant doesn’t spend one moment of his ire on motorists despite all the many deaths that are caused by dangerous drivers. Yes, I know I am straying into whataboutism but it’s like car drivers have a free pass. If the roads were safer then pedestrians & cycles would rarely if ever come into contact.

It’s one of the many reasons I no longer MTB, I don’t think shared paths work. When I am riding I treat it as exercise, I like to get the heart rate up etc & this doesn’t work on certain shared routes like the TPT. Dog walkers with leads, large family groups etc; I am too cowardly for the technical stuff.

My local hills (Pentlands) are pretty busy at the moment, however thankfully it's still easy to find places to ride where there aren't many other folks around. Most folks tend to stay close to the main car-parks, and the ones that go further afield tend to be more experienced and therefore more understanding of how to respond to other folks.

On my ride yesterday evening I went past the main car-parks which are beside a couple of reservoirs. There were loads of cars in the car-parks from walkers, mountain bikers, wild swimmers, paddle boarders etc. but away from the car-parks it wasn't that busy, and once I'd headed a couple of miles to the west there wasn't anyone around.

When mountain biking I tend to prefer it when the weather isn't good, as the Pentlands are a lot quieter then.

advertisement

Back