advertisement

Crufts 2019

Well, you seemed to be unaware of that, otherwise you wouldn't have made the comment. If you were aware, you have a bizarre understanding of reality.

You failed to get it across because of the poor post. Is English your second language? If so my apologies.

Thanks. I shall in future attempt to follow the sublime eloquence that you display in your posts.

New breed accepted at Crufts 2019,
The “guest”,

o6y4cg.jpg

No ones seen one before this month

Some may cost that much, but not all do.

I wonder if yours would these days? I was thinking about a Sussex puppy recently but as soon as I'd thought about it, they'd all gone!

My Field would have been a thousand a few years ago but he's only got one eye so we got a large discount. He's a brain dead twonk but we love him for it. A nightmare to train.

Steve's post reminds me
We saw a blind Staffie that had been at Battersea Dogs home for 2 years.
We have a big garden and others that could look after him so we decided we would have him and went up to check with 4 of our dogs.
All seemed fine to us. He was boisterous and one of ours told him off a couple of times. No problem, he had been in kennels forever.

2 "behaviourists" said we couldn't have him as our dogs were bad. Mostly because they followed the boss and sat at her feet.
About a year later the people that took him brought him back (!)
We didn't offer

We were staggered and disappointed. Only wanting to look after the dog.
We knew the manager at Old Windsor branch and she was also very surprised and very apologetic.
I'm sure one of the reasons Battersea have long stay dogs is they don't know what they are doing
:(

We went to a few places - the Dogs Trust, SSPCA and the Edinburgh Cat and Dog home. All had dogs needing rehomed (and the Dogs Trust had a lot) however the dogs they had were the ones that were difficult to rehome - with quite a lot of them having been unsuccessfully rehomed several times. They do get dogs that are easier to place but there are so many people wanting those that they place them pretty much straight away.

We originally thought we'd be close to the perfect re-homers:
- We have no pets
- Decent sized detached house with a decent sized, secure (6ft+ fence) garden
- No kids at home
- As my wife has given up working we have an adult at home full-time (and I also might give up work - again - soon)
- Both fit and active
- Live on the edge of Pentland Hills which is dog-walking Nirvana
- Not fussy about size or breed - other than wanting an active dog that we could take on hillwalks and the like
- Fairly affluent so no issue with the cost of keeping a dog

Having been to several places that weren't willing to place a dog with us due to our lack of experience we had resigned ourselves to getting a puppy (seemed to be £600-1000 for one from a decent breeder in our area) but one of the other homing places, Any Dog 'il Do, had a candidate dog. There were lots of others interested but we made the top of the list because they wanted to place the dog with someone with an active lifestyle. Also as he's more of a rehoming dog rather than a rescue dog (i.e. no sign he's been abused - in fact he seems reasonably well looked after and is pretty well trained) our lack of experience wasn't as big a problem.

So here he is:
168927789.EDMVFbbi.jpg

So far he seems to be settling in well - fingers crossed.

We went to a few places - the Dogs Trust, SSPCA and the Edinburgh Cat and Dog home. All had dogs needing rehomed (and the Dogs Trust had a lot) however the dogs they had were the ones that were difficult to rehome - with quite a lot of them having been unsuccessfully rehomed several times. They do get dogs that are easier to place but there are so many people wanting those that they place them pretty much straight away.

We originally thought we'd be close to the perfect re-homers:
- We have no pets
- Decent sized detached house with a decent sized, secure (6ft+ fence) garden
- No kids at home
- As my wife has given up working we have an adult at home full-time (and I also might give up work - again - soon)
- Both fit and active
- Live on the edge of Pentland Hills which is dog-walking Nirvana
- Not fussy about size or breed - other than wanting an active dog that we could take on hillwalks and the like
- Fairly affluent so no issue with the cost of keeping a dog

Having been to several places that weren't willing to place a dog with us due to our lack of experience we had resigned ourselves to getting a puppy (seemed to be £600-1000 for one from a decent breeder in our area) but one of the other homing places, Any Dog 'il Do, had a candidate dog. There were lots of others interested but we made the top of the list because they wanted to place the dog with someone with an active lifestyle. Also as he's more of a rehoming dog rather than a rescue dog (i.e. no sign he's been abused - in fact he seems reasonably well looked after and is pretty well trained) our lack of experience wasn't as big a problem.

So far he seems to be settling in well - fingers crossed.

What sort of problems do these other dogs have ?
Lack of experience must apply to so many. Thought Dogs Trust helped out on that.

What sort of problems do these other dogs have ?
Lack of experience must apply to so many. Thought Dogs Trust helped out on that.

From what we've heard the Dogs Trust are very restrictive on who they'll give dogs to. We visited their West Calder location several times and most of the dogs they had at the time (and they had quite a few) had behavioural or medical issues, so they only wanted to place them with owners with experience - and in some cases even experience of the specific breed.

From the issues they described it seemed that some of the dogs had been abused by previous owners, some were hard to control and some also lacked even basic training. Some also had medical issues that they felt would be best handled by an experienced owner.

I tried to get a spaniel from the Scottish Springer Rescue. When I told them that I'd never had a spaniel before they appeared a bit reticent to let me have one.

After several months of missing out on dogs I eventually got a wee cocker from Gran Canaria. It turned out she was owned by a drag queen who'd kept her locked up in a back room. It took a while to get her licked into shape but now she's a little cracker. For someone who'd known what they were doing (not me) she would have made a cracking wee gun dog.

I tried to get a spaniel from the Scottish Springer Rescue. When I told them that I'd never had a spaniel before they appeared a bit reticent to let me have one.

After several months of missing out on dogs I eventually got a wee cocker from Gran Canaria. It turned out she was owned by a drag queen who'd kept her locked up in a back room. It took a while to get her licked into shape but now she's a little cracker. For someone who'd known what they were doing (not me) she would have made a cracking wee gun dog.

I can see why there may be reticence on part of the rescue folk. The last thing they'd want would be the poor animals having no to go though another rehouse, or worse, maybe destruction, if the adoptions don't work out and the dog has to go back.

advertisement

Back