advertisement

Crufts 2019

peterm

pfm Member
I know many pfm members are dog lovers.

Iv'e just been watching tonight's programme on Ch 4 and in the "pastoral" group saw the judge have a narrow shave when the Anatolian Shepherd dog just failed to snaffle his hand. It didn't get placed!

In the same group the German Shepherd, in spite of controversy in recent years about the breed's conformation, looked very low in the hindquarters. I noticed that it was the only dog shown to date that was shown standing but not on the move!

My missus was there yesterday with our Spinone and said that in our breed the judge ordered a Russian entrant out of the ring for not meeting the breed standard.
She says that GSDs must be passed by a vet as of show standard before competing at Crufts but if they can't run should they be there at all?

Thought I was the only one who watched crufts! compulsory viewing, only equalled by the TdF

I’m a dog lover, albeit a recent one, but it seems to me that in too many instances breed conformity has resulted in inbreeding genetic defects that injure the health of the dog.

Quite right!
Too many breeds go for appearance/attractiveness/fashion above the dogs' welfare.
The Kennel Club are supposed to be tackling this with initiatives such as their "Assured Breeder" scheme but I'm not sure what the policy on GSDs is.
I seem to remember that this issue is why BBC stopped broadcasting Crufts which is why it's now on CH4.

I watch it with fascination. We are being manipulated by dogs. One of the commentators said “you have to remember they’re dogs”. It was quite surreal.

Good on her!

I accept the points above, but it doesn’t alter the fact the dogs in agility are having a ball, forcing their owners to pursue them while they do what they’re best at:)

One of my mums woofers won a best of breed back in the 60's. A guy from Sweden offered her 500guineas for the dog, mum refused to sell.

Bloss

I know many pfm members are dog lovers.

Iv'e just been watching tonight's programme on Ch 4 and in the "pastoral" group saw the judge have a narrow shave when the Anatolian Shepherd dog just failed to snaffle his hand. It didn't get placed!

In the same group the German Shepherd, in spite of controversy in recent years about the breed's conformation, looked very low in the hindquarters. I noticed that it was the only dog shown to date that was shown standing but not on the move!

My missus was there yesterday with our Spinone and said that in our breed the judge ordered a Russian entrant out of the ring for not meeting the breed standard.
She says that GSDs must be passed by a vet as of show standard before competing at Crufts but if they can't run should they be there at all?

Thought that was instant disqualification going for the judges......can we see pictures of your Spinone- they are so cool.:D

The barmaid at my local announced, on Friday, that she had won first place in "Best Junior Bitch" at Crufts.

Never before had we had such an opportunity....

She had a rosette and certificate to prove it, too...oh how we laughed.

Really? made my comment above, but it does show non-dog owners that maybe
I tried to enter Ziggy as he likes to play fetch.

20190222_141926 by uh_simon, on Flickr

For some reason they weren't having it
Gosh! talk about laugh! Stap my vitals! I mean, a cat at Crufts! Haha.
How did you manage to post the link I find Flickr nearly impossible, and their help no help at all.

The barmaid at my local announced, on Friday, that she had won first place in "Best Junior Bitch" at Crufts.

Never before had we had such an opportunity....

She had a rosette and certificate to prove it, too...oh how we laughed.
Yes, of course you would. It’s always easier to insult with your mates around. Never occurred to you she might have been taking the piss out of you, I suppose..

Yes, of course you would. It’s always easier to insult with your mates around. Never occurred to you she might have been taking the piss out of you, I suppose..
You speak from ignorance in the true meaning of that word.

We have known Lisa for many years. She is a dog breeder and did win a rosette. She knew exactly what the response would be to what she said.

So I suggest you think before you post on something of which you have zero knowledge

advertisement

Back