advertisement

Cricket 2022 - for all things cricket this year on PFM

I doubt that Alex Hartley, born and brought up in Lancashire, would be greatly impressed by being referred to as "the Yorkshire Lass".....

Well these two strong accents are sometimes indistinguishable then. I wouldn't care one iota if my accent was thought to be the next counties' along. Not 0.01% of an iota. So why would she-? Rhetorical question Bazzer.

Anyway great match this one, much better wicket by all accounts, more even between batsfolk & ballers.

50 ahead, with a deteriorating wicket.. perfectly poised. Fk I might just put some clothes on for this.

The Lancashire and Yorkshire sides of my family have been in a bitter blood feud for decades based on which county invented Parkin and whether bread pudding should have jam or not. Possibly the only thing that could get them united is someone on the internet suggesting they all sound the same.

Well these two strong accents are sometimes indistinguishable then. I wouldn't care one iota if my accent was thought to be the next counties' along. Not 0.01% of an iota. So why would she-? Rhetorical question Bazzer.
You really are incredibly ignorant.

The Lancashire and Yorkshire sides of my family have been in a bitter blood feud for decades based on which county invented Parkin and whether bread pudding should have jam or not. Possibly the only thing that could get them united is someone on the internet suggesting they all sound the same.

Sounds like something from medieval england.

Yes this one sounded the same then to me, as the accent grates in equal measure-for-measure ammounts, & as I just assumed this awful-sounding peasant was from "gods own farmland" not the county just next to it. Oh the very shame. I actually don't care I hate the accent wherever it's from: I have two horrible small faeces-throwing aggressive peasant men either side of me here is probably why I loathe the accent so much, so when I hear it my teeth gnash & I want to wail.

Anyway good test match this one..

You really are incredibly ignorant.

No, it's simply that sounds like she's from yorkshire to my ears that are not from there, but far away in the south. Many of us can't distinguish a difference & don't get it right, that doesn't mean we're ignorant.

Someone might not distinguish a swedish from a danish accent.. but if you said "oh SO ignorant can't tell" it would say more about your intellect to make the remark, rather than theirs.

You really are incredibly sensitive Woodywoodface.

No, it's simply that sounds like she's from yorkshire to my ears that are not from there, but far away in the south. Many of us can't distinguish a difference & don't get it right, that doesn't mean we're ignorant.

Someone might not distinguish a swedish from a danish accent.. but if you said "oh SO ignorant can't tell" it would say more about your intellect to make the remark, rather than theirs.

You really are incredibly sensitive Woodywoodface.
Yes, I’m very sensitive to other people’s ignorance. Fail to see what your comments have to do with the subject of cricket either.

(Just picking this up).

Fair point. But the reason I chose to forgo a tv license, was witnessing the gradual decline in quality/ budget/ decision-making/ increace in repeats & "IQ of 51" advertising segments increasing in duration too, up until I bailed out 6 years ago. It would be remarkable if this downward slope suddenly levelled off at this point, &/ or even starting an upward trajectory. No, therefore it's also fair of me to think the downward slope would've just continued. And dipping in (at my folks house), in the last few years, I also saw no evidence the slope wasn't continuing.

It's inevitable, that tv is a dying duck. A good as an example thus; student couple opposite me renting, friends & him a real new music nut, listening to current 'cool attitute' stuff (Eagles of Death Metal for eg, 2016) as I was at 19. Came back from visiting my folks, I had watched a good Jools Holland.. episode with some decent stuff on (there are rare exceptions, very occasionally the odd prog I -do- miss of course).

I asked him "see Later With Jools Holland.. on friday?" His answer sums it up in a nutshell.. "Who?"
He'd never even heard of the person, never heard of the the programme. The main music prog, on tv, in it's 30th series (I guesstimate 30).

They just used Netflix & whatever other www channel, Amazon is it I'm not up to speed. Bbc tv was a fossil idea to them, in 2016. Now? It's just 50's & over. Me not being one of them. If it's embarrassing to me at over 50.. it's dinosaur-dead to 20 year olds.

You’re Nadine Dorries, thick as a Boxing Day turd, and I claim my £10.

Only joking. Apart from the bit where you think a 20 year old student is the ultimate barometer of public consumption (I didn’t even have a tv when I was twenty as there was more interesting things to do) you make some reasonable points but nobody here is arguing for a return to the heydays of the 1970s with three broadcasters and the national anthem before the dot came on at 11 pm. The BBC recognise the plurality of narrowcasting in the 2020s hence you would hear (if you had a licence) them constantly plugging the BBC I Player which by the way you can use (if you had a licence) to catch upon R4s Media Show which frequently has BBC Execs on explaining their approach to the contemporary media landscape. BTW whilst youre round your mums, be sure to check out Mathew Paris - Great Lives, Joshua Rosenberg - Law in Action, Michael Rosun - Word of Mouth or Laurie Taylor- Thinking Aloud ….you might learn something of value.

The national carrier remains the preeminent broadcaster in the UK and tv was the only way to watch this years two big events namely the Queens funeral and the Qatar World Cup.

Complaining about Lancashire and Yorkshire accents in English cricket is like complaining about people who sound like your builder's new apprentice in football :)

Just caught up with the days play. Hussain said on commentary after Crawleys and Ducketts confident start to the run chase -=just twelve months ago the question was which batsmen could we put in to (rescue) the team whereas now the problem is who can (justifiably) be left out.

It really is an incredible turnaround for the national team. My god we’ve persevered with some truly dreadful opening batsmen like Burns.

advertisement

Back