advertisement

Cricket 2022 - for all things cricket this year on PFM

It really is an incredible turnaround for the national team. My god we’ve persevered with some truly dreadful opening batsmen like Burns.

I thought the big lad with no offside game was even worse.

A couple of observations from this tour, I think it is no accident that our batsmen are playing every type of sweep going in Pakistan - it’s all part of the plan to counteract Lyon in the upcoming Ashes. Luckily and given the advent of Bazball, I have day one tickets for the Headingley test.

Also, must have been great for Root to have the duel burden of Captaincy and main run scorer removed, recharge himself for next year and the Aussies.

Won 9 of last 10 tests. Excellent stuff. The next "test' is in NZ, against altogether different opposition and in a very different environment. I would not bet against England there, either.

While the winner of SPOTY was predictable and well deserved, I was amused to see Ben Stokes well able to contain his enthusiasm for second place.
It will be fascinating to see how other teams react to a different approach to test cricket. Hell, it might even survive!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/64037055

Interesting summary from the BBC.

It turned out to be a fantastic year to be an England Cricket fan. A real shame the women didn't get over the line, but they are getting better, and their squad is getting stronger.

A different test next year for both womes and mens teams, but as an avid fan I'll watch and support as always. Going to Day 1 v Aus at Edgbaston, and the 50 over v Ireland at Trent Bridge.

I liked Mark Ramprakash's conclusion today: "With England these days nothing is certain - except that it won't be boring."

That’s a good place to be. Stokes is quite right - we want to be entertained, and our sides to show fight and spirit.

advertisement

Back