advertisement

Cricket 2022 - for all things cricket this year on PFM

1st series win in Pak in 20 years.

There will still be the doubters and usual pessimistic Eng fans, but you can't deny the leadership has had very significant change...

We just need to find a cure for Wood and Archer being brittle - then we have real prospects for the summer...

Oh, and I'd give Duckett exactly the same amount of time they have given Crawley.

as Nasser just said, a better side might well have got those runs. A great series win no doubt but they could equally (almost) be 2-0 down. The point is to be levelled headed in victory is not pessimism, it's about learning from the game - each and every game. I thought Nasser made the point well.

A bit tight in the end ,very lucky with the caught behind ,could have gone to benefit of the doubt in favour of the batsman .
A series win in Pakistan is very good news and Bazball does produce exciting cricket

Thoroughly enjoyed watching that this morning. I was up and awake at 5.15 am. Bit nithering to watch the proceedings early on but soon warmed up. Thought they'd blown it but by heck what a turnaround. Test Cricket these days is so much more fun (strange oxymoron)
Loving every minute of it these days.

A shame the third game is now 'dead' :)

Another exciting test, thanks to Stokes (and Wood, Brook et al) but that caught behind decision was dreadful, surely?

that caught behind decision was dreadful, surely?

Not really. I agree that it looked iffy but the standing umps use their best endeavours to make a decision, which was out. The TV umps then has to see clear evidence that it was not out or he cannot overturn the decision. I looked at it in HD on a large screen and couldn't conclusively say it was not out.

Not really. I agree that it looked iffy but the standing umps use their best endeavours to make a decision, which was out. The TV umps then has to see clear evidence that it was not out or he cannot overturn the decision. I looked at it in HD on a large screen and couldn't conclusively say it was not out.

Not any longer, no. The soft signal is only used in the case of technical failure and the decision is made off the field. I think the argument went along the lines of a boundary catch that couldn't been seen on-field and then shouldn't all decisions be made in the same way.

In this case it was a poor decision but it was also a dreadful shot...

Not any longer, no. The soft signal is only used in the case of technical failure and the decision is made off the field. I think the argument went along the lines of a boundary catch that couldn't been seen on-field and then shouldn't all decisions be made in the same way.

In this case it was a poor decision but it was also a dreadful shot...
Interesting. So when did that change and is it only for test matches because they were certainly using that in the summer in ODI's etc

Interesting. So when did that change and is it only for test matches because they were certainly using that in the summer in ODI's etc

Just recently I think - Nasser explained on air recently. Now I think about it that might have been in the WC - I'm unsure if it's the same in test matches to be fair. Maybe I got the wrong end of the stick. Ben Stokes had been prominent in calling for the end of soft signals in the summer for sure.

I found this just now, it looks like it might only be in the IPL and that is what Nasser was referring to at the time:

"Others suggested that the soft signal rule had changed, and that this should have an impact on the outcome. The suggestions were that the soft signal now only applied if there is an error in technology, with the TV umpire coming to what they believe is the correct decision no matter what the on-field official has signalled.

However, it is unclear where these suggestions come from."

https://wisden.com/series-stories/p...say-and-how-they-have-havent-and-might-change

I wonder if I can put the yorkshire lass on some form of ipad voice emulator, a bit like gibby haines, sort of recorded 45rpm then emulated to 33. Then my teeth wouldn't keep gnashing.

I wonder if I can put the yorkshire lass on some form of ipad voice emulator, a bit like gibby haines, sort of recorded 45rpm then emulated to 33. Then my teeth wouldn't keep gnashing.

I doubt that Alex Hartley, born and brought up in Lancashire, would be greatly impressed by being referred to as "the Yorkshire Lass".....

Contradiction, how could you possibly know the state of BBC tv over the last ten years when, as you yourself state, you haven’t had a licence for the last six of them!

(Just picking this up).

Fair point. But the reason I chose to forgo a tv license, was witnessing the gradual decline in quality/ budget/ decision-making/ increace in repeats & "IQ of 51" advertising segments increasing in duration too, up until I bailed out 6 years ago. It would be remarkable if this downward slope suddenly levelled off at this point, &/ or even starting an upward trajectory. No, therefore it's also fair of me to think the downward slope would've just continued. And dipping in (at my folks house), in the last few years, I also saw no evidence the slope wasn't continuing.

It's inevitable, that tv is a dying duck. A good as an example thus; student couple opposite me renting, friends & him a real new music nut, listening to current 'cool attitute' stuff (Eagles of Death Metal for eg, 2016) as I was at 19. Came back from visiting my folks, I had watched a good Jools Holland.. episode with some decent stuff on (there are rare exceptions, very occasionally the odd prog I -do- miss of course).

I asked him "see Later With Jools Holland.. on friday?" His answer sums it up in a nutshell.. "Who?"
He'd never even heard of the person, never heard of the the programme. The main music prog, on tv, in it's 30th series (I guesstimate 30).

They just used Netflix & whatever other www channel, Amazon is it I'm not up to speed. Bbc tv was a fossil idea to them, in 2016. Now? It's just 50's & over. Me not being one of them. If it's embarrassing to me at over 50.. it's dinosaur-dead to 20 year olds.

advertisement

Back