advertisement

Cricket 2021 - all things cricket for this year on pfm

Oh happy days then, we'll just give Root another go! He admits himself that he was 'naive'. Naive after god knows how many tests as captain - he just doesn't learn.

Find me another regular in the side for captain, then? Very easy to say what an issue is, without offering solutions. Many an average captain played well behind better players than Root has available to him.

I do agree he should have gripped his bowlers in the last hour before lunch yesterday. Naive leadership, and it’s cost him.

Find me another regular in the side for captain, then? Very easy to say what an issue is, without offering solutions. Many an average captain played well behind better players than Root has available to him.

I do agree he should have gripped his bowlers in the last hour before lunch yesterday. Naive leadership, and it’s cost him.

I like Moeen. I think he's been messed around a treated dreadfully - a proven captain. It would take the pressure off Root so he can concentrate on his batting.

To me Roots tactics looked like he was trying to prolong the time spent at the crease by the tailenders for as long as possible and was deliberate ! I think he was hoping then to get a draw as he was so worried about another batting collapse . Root cannot be expected to make a 100 in every innings considering the amount of concentration required .The tactics worked as their batting time was drastically cut , however the batting performance must have been even worse than he feared

I think we are the only country who holds the role of captain in such a eulogised way. Australia pick their best players & make one of them captain. It is far easy to captain when you have great players. How would Clive Lloyd or Viv Richards have managed with this lot?

Stokes is a massive loss also.

I think we are the only country who holds the role of captain in such a eulogised way. Australia pick their best players & make one of them captain. It is far easy to captain when you have great players. How would Clive Lloyd or Viv Richards have managed with this lot?

Exactly. I said as much up thread.

Stokes is a massive loss also.

Agreed.

I like Moeen.

Yes - but there is an argument he's been inconsistent, too. If I'm playing a spinner, I'd get Parkinson in.

Yes - but there is an argument he's been inconsistent, too. If I'm playing a spinner, I'd get Parkinson in.

They've certainly lost 2 or 3 years in bringing Moeen on in the role for sure. I think as captain he might well have bowled a lot more overs at crucial points in the games too. Perhap's he's had a lot less support from Root than from Cook...

To me Roots tactics looked like he was trying to prolong the time spent at the crease by the tailenders for as long as possible and was deliberate ! I think he was hoping then to get a draw as he was so worried about another batting collapse . Root cannot be expected to make a 100 in every innings considering the amount of concentration required .The tactics worked as their batting time was drastically cut , however the batting performance must have been even worse than he feared

I was thinking much the same at the time. The fact is that with England’s batting performance in the final innings India would have still won declaring after Pant was out. The issue is that at the moment only Root, and occasionally Bairstow, are scoring runs. Even if they were hitting their averages most of the rest of the batsmen/all rounders would still not be good enough to get into an England side from any other era. We will be lucky if we win a single test with the way the team are performing with the bat at the moment.

Well played India. They deserved the win.

I have been watching the 100 and good entertainment for the masses but it does show why we have no decent test batsmen . The white ball is easier to hit after a few overs and the strategy is to hit as many 6s as possible , defensive shots not on the menu !

My head's still spinning! What on earth. That was a brilliant bowling display today. They had fire in their belly and not before time. Just brilliant.

Then we came out to bat and obviously I feared the worst but bloody hell. They made it to the close. Well I never. Well played both.

Only the 3rd time in test history that's happened.

Wow. Feel kind of privileged to have seen that, albeit sat at home.

Enjoyed the commentary on Sky today. Shane Warne is full of insight and experience and doesn't just state the bleedin obvious. Unlike some.

Yes , quite stunned by the England performance today , must be many years since we have had a start like this . Hopefully we can continue tomorrow in the same excellent manner . I noticed that Burns changed his stance slightly so as well as looking like he is falling over he seems to be hovering over the loo , well if it works do not poo , poo it !

advertisement

Back