advertisement

Creation of dedicated listening room

dspatterson

pfm Member
Hi I just wanted to start a thread on my journey of the creation of my listening room . I hope I can gain knowledge and get help when required as I go .
It's not a particularly large space 14ft by 11,9 (unfortunately) but allows me to customise ( make mess) wacky decor etc without moans. Here's a few pics of starting point .
1Mlmtbm.jpeg
ps6Qoim.jpeg
9geXtuV.jpeg

Background . Detached Bungalow kit build 30 years ago .stud partition walls through out ( very resonant like drums) Room is 3 areas into one non supporting partitions removed. Underfloor crawl space . Room exits to garage ( great for sneaking in new equipment unnoticed ....) incoming power at room ,meter through wall , so tails to dedicated mem consumer unit only 3 ft away .
One external wall, one wall was external and now adjoins to garage built years after and two walls internal .
The two internal ones are the biggest resonant problem .

The build plan is.
Ref. Music Room

Description of work and costs as follows.

Floor – Supply and fit mid supports to all joists.

Supply and fit netlon and 140mm frametherm 32 between

joists

Supply and fit (glued and screws) 22mm chipboard flooring

with hatches either side of sleeper wall.

Ceiling – Supply and fit 15mm soundblock plasterboard

Walls – Supply and fit 2 rows of dwangs to all walls

Supply and fit 90mm frametherm to all walls

Remove doorposts etc and frame over 1 doorway

Supply and fit 18mm sheathing ply to 2 internal walls

Supply and fit 15mm soundblock to all walls

Supply and fit replacement posts for internal door

Supply and fit stops and facings to hall side of door

Supply and fit replacement posts to door to garage

Fit only fire door to garage

Supply and fit oak picture frame around window.

Ames taping to ceiling only

No allowance for decoration

All rubbish to be removed from site

Once the stud partition walls were removed and the 14ft space was created I set up a wee system of Genki nac62 hicap 180 Keilidh so see what the experience may be like ,and even with the compromised situation I got good vibes especially on a more intimate experience .

Thanks for info , I am keeping it Semi domestic with the hope of ,if the situation changes the room can be returned to normal use , so investment is not unlimited , and it will never achieve the ultimate potential but a halfway house so to speak .

I take it the 'soundblock' is to help 'soundproof' the room from sending noise everywhere.
Gyproc ''Plank' is also excellent at this, but a bit heavy to play with.
As many gaps as possible need to be fully filled - this stuff is very good at that - I used many, many tubes (hundreds tbh) of it (you need the 'large' mastic gun for it, and do not forget to pierce foil seal before use!)
Floor to board, board to ceiling and all board joints were done with it.
Messy, but well worth the effort.
There is also an 'intumescant version if you want belt and braces round door frames etc.
Are you building in first reflection points - thats easy to achieve with the point you are now at?

so tails to dedicated mem consumer unit only 3 ft away .
Well, taht's the important bit sorted; at least I think so as I'm not sure why there are tails from c.u. to listening room. The tails connect the c.u. to the Henley Block/meter usually and t & e from the RCBOs (or MCB/RCDs) to the kit/sockets/whatever.

Mike meter to hifi consumer unit is through wall ,a ft away but 3 ft via tails .
Meter output split via Henley in meter white box to house consumer and hifi consumer. Hifi consumer adjacent to where kit will be sited , the next bit I've not decided .
LIVmqWD.jpeg
qrvqTiC.jpeg

advertisement

Back