advertisement

Courtiestown - Naim Amplifier (Avondale) Upgrade Project

Good Morning All,

I'm still looking for some 10uF/ 25V Philips/ Vishay SAL BC128 capacitors........ I've just used my last pair. Surely somebody must have odd ones lurking in the bottom of their parts boxes????

Regards

Richard

Good Morning All,

I'm still looking for some 10uF/ 25V Philips/ Vishay SAL BC128 capacitors........ I've just used my last pair. Surely somebody must have odd ones lurking in the bottom of their parts boxes????

Regards

Richard
They are available from Fleabay just search for 'Solid aluminium capacitors'
Mostly you can find NOS parts from Philips.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
They are available from Fleabay just search for 'Solid aluminium capacitors'
Mostly you can find NOS parts from Philips.

I appreciate that some values/ voltages are available on eBay but no 10uF/ 25V. The nearest would be https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/40106270...d=link&campid=5338728743&toolid=20001&mkevt=1.

I've already bought a quantity of these which, obviously, I can use in parallel however one piece would be far more elegant........

I have also asked some mainline component suppliers without any luck so far.

Regards

Richard

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Good Evening All,

Well I was meant to be going offshore on Saturday, then it was Monday and I got as far as the heli-port today before the flight was cancelled.

Not been able to progress this build as still waiting on fixings for the transformers (according to the well known internet auction site as due between Monday 5th - Wednesday 7th!!!!).

Made an order with RS on Sunday which still hasn't been delivered............... What happened to placing an order before 16:00 to get a delivery the following morning?

Regards

Richard

James,

I’ve had it suggested that anything over 6V should be adequate???

If you’re referring to the items being sold out of Poland then they are 122 series rather than BC128.

Regards

Richard

Hi Richard, they are 128s

I will have A LOT spare ;)

Mislabelled as tants, but searching on 10uf 128 found them. I think the 122s should be ok as well though, they are the same technology.

Good Evening All,

Having spent a less than exciting 7 1/2hrs at Bristow heli-port today I'm now back home as the flight was, finally cancelled. Didn't even get to set foot in the building yesterday before it was cancelled.

Got home to find the fixings to progress the latest amplifier still haven't arrived. Academic to a degree as I'm back to checking in again tomorrow anyway.

Interesting drive in to the airport though. We need to pass a law banning all people in 2WD from venturing out and then doing 5mph in the centre of the road......... (managed to bring the TC light up on the 110 a couple of times).

Regards

Richard

Will,

In response to your queries 100k or 10k:-

The adjacent 12k clearly has an orange stripe, so IMHO the multiplier strip on the adjacent resistor is definitely 'yellow'. 'In circuit' it does measure at 10k.

The resistor I've identified 470R in the bottom left certainly looks like a brown identifier but it measures 'in circuit' at 47k so it could well be orange as it doesn't compare against the brown of the adjacent 12k resistor.

You are also right wrt the is '100k', in comparison to the two adjacent resistors which have a yellow stripe this clearly isn't yellow but faded orange, it measures 10k 'in circuit'.

Again I'd have to agree with your suggestions re both the 18k and 27k as both resistors measure this 'in circuit'.

I'm about to re-do my original photographs now........

Regards

Richard
If possible, I'd try and use some kind of whitebalance override on when taking these kind photos for reading resistor colour codes.

All that green background is going to play merry hell with any automatic whitebalance system.

If your camera doesn't have this, you could include a colour target card in the shot. At minimum, even a known white target would be helpful.

BugBear

If possible, I'd try and use some kind of whitebalance override on when taking these kind photos for reading resistor colour codes.

All that green background is going to play merry hell with any automatic whitebalance system.

If your camera doesn't have this, you could include a colour target card in the shot. At minimum, even a known white target would be helpful.

There is a WB or warmth function available on photo's on an iPhone - I've just read up on it. Something to bear in mind for the next time I take photo's of PCB's.

Regards

Richard

Good Afternoon All,

That's me just bought the pair of SE200 prototypes Graham had for sale so I now have the 10off SE boards needed for the Isobarik project.

I'm now stuck out on this jack-up and little chance of us even starting to move in the next week..........

I had hoped I wasn't going to be stuck out here for Xmas.................

Regards

Richard

Good Morning All,

Well that's the, stainless, transformer fixings for the last two stereo SE amplifiers arrived at home now:-

PUyWdVX.jpg

I'd also like to thank @sq225917 and @charly63 for providing a number of BC128 10uF/ 25V capacitors (not forgetting @James Evans kind offer from the lot of 10V items he bought). This will be a part of making sure all 10 SE boards have 'identical' components on board.

If only I knew when I was going to get off this rig..............................

Regards

Richard

Good Evening All,

Looks like I'm stuck here on this jack-up until Jan 5th now, 12 days I've been here so far and we are still at least 7 days before anything happens......

The boards I bought from Graham have arrived:-

9T0nMGG.jpg

Whilst idly checking something I see the Si8751 MOSFET driver chip is now in stock (originally not supposed to be available until May 2023) so have ordered some along with PCB's from Rod Elliott's site to make his MOSFET Solid State Relay.

Regards

Richard

Good Morning All,

Well I didn't expect to be away for 28days but there you go.

I'm at home until circa the 17th so this is where I am now. The PCB's, IC and MOSFET's for the Elliott Sound MOSFET speaker protection relays have arrived:-

fj7zGwb.jpg

The last pair of SE boards from Graham:-

ASvCerj.jpg

The previous pair of boards from Graham which have been modified to reflect the latest component values being used by LesW and, if you look carefully, you can see the two resistors in the feedback have been replaced with Charcroft foils (15k and 560R). All resistors in the outputs stages are non-inductive types. The intention is that all 10 boards will have the same components.

xd66WnB.jpg

Regards

Richard

You're going to have an amazing batch of amps when you're done. My SE230 prototypes are sounding quite spectacular.

Good Evening All,

Finally back to doing something amplifier related.

Made a start on the MOSFET protection relays this evening.

TJgl26p.jpg

By my calculations the 4k7 resistor should drop the 50V supply to feed the IC........

I have used the TK72E12N1 MOSFET as advised by Rod Elliott as this device has a very low RDS value. I may still fit heatsinks as per:-

4yTMGqt.jpg

Waiting on some 10pF capacitors arriving. These are 'optional' but I'm fitting them to stay on the 'safe side'.

Meanwhile Kate is out playing with the new pure bred Cleveland Bay colt:-

Fjg7mCw.png

Hope to progress the 8 amplifier boards that need modifying and complete the build of the last two stereo amplifiers.

Regards

Richard

advertisement

Back