advertisement

Courtiestown - Naim Amplifier (Avondale) Upgrade Project

Good Evening All,

So, if at first you don't succeed:-

n01ZusB.png

2MO1AQB.jpg

Regards

Richard

Thanks Richard, diligent stuff, and now it agrees with my schematic with the exception of the caps in the LF section, which is, after all, what we didn't know for Sara! I will have a go at doing an updated schematic for Sara NAXO and simulation of the filters so I have a SBL/IBL/etc and a Sara NAXO set. You took some pain here "for the team", I want to personally thank you. I may, at some point, have a bash with active Sara and I couldn't do it (like Naim) without this info!

Good Afternoon All,

I'm now on with re-assembling the one Sara9 so I can clear stuff off the bench to then get on with repairing the blown SE board........

First off was re hot glueing the stockingnette to the eight uprights to reform the 'pockets', you'll see one pocket 'stuffed'.

TJMSycJ.jpg

7 of the 8 pockets 'stuffed' and glued - the last to be done after outer woofer attached:-

Ldby67e.jpg

It's that hot glue gun out again:-

nfIVh10.jpg

The outer woofer sealed in its 'ring':-

ZE1S2oh.jpg

Almost time for lunch - more to follow.

Regards

Richard

Good Evening All,

Well that is both Sara9's back together with the crossover's removed ready to be actively driven.

This picture shows the cabling to the sockets soldered and heat shrunk ready for going back together again:-

WlMVQKB.jpg

Credit to Kate for coming up with the suggestion of suspending the front plate on two pieces of string which allowed us to get the bracing rod through the hole in the rear of the cabinet. It's pretty clear the rods were longer originally and cut once installed.

In theory I should have 4off SE board amplifiers so just need to sort out some speaker cable.

Regards

Richard

Good Evening All (again),

Having double and treble checked the wiring between the HiCap, NAXO 2-4 and 2 x stereo SE boarded amplifiers feeding the now active Sara9's and fed it from my trusty MacBook I can report that the effort has been more than justified and then some.

Somewhere between LesW's SE boards and the Sara9's the sound is really beyond what you might expect.

I now need to get on with fixing the SE device I blew up last leave so I can have a go at driving my standard Isobariks via the Klimax streamer and Exactbox.

Regards

Richard

Good Evening All,

A couple of photo's from last night's listening session. In this first picture you can see the HiCap and NAXO 2-4 on the floor feeding the one stereo SE amplifier on the footstool feeding the right hand Sara9:-

40U2NpI.jpg

and the second SE amplifier feeding the left hand Sara9. Work in progress.........

kM5MTqI.jpg

Regards

Richard

I had no idea that’s what a Sara looked like inside. I had imagined the second isobaric mid woofer was simply mounted on a further joinered internal baffle.

I had no idea that’s what a Sara looked like inside. I had imagined the second isobaric mid woofer was simply mounted on a further joinered internal baffle.

I had no idea either, this evolution does seem to be closer to an ideal 'piston' arrangement rather than the 'less efficient' enclosed space of the Isobarik cabinet.

Regards

Richard

Good Evening All,

This project is still ever so slightly on the back burner however it was I who bought laverda's prototype SE boards so I now have a total of 8 such PCB's so only two more required to complete the needs of the Isobarik project..........

As there have been some component value changes with the production versions of these PCB's I intend to update the ones I have accordingly.

I'll be able to blow the dust off those three Modushop cases I bought earlier this year..........

Regards

Richard

Good Evening All,

I've been out in the shed tidying up after a few months of 'chaos' and clearing the workbench:-

bDakE2U.jpg

a few bits I had 'lying around':-

WOyuLhm.jpg

and offering them up:-

XKe6P6p.jpg

First hurdle is discovering the transformers come sans threaded fasteners.......... I now need to order some 10 x 80mm bolts, washers and nuts.........

Regards

Richard

Good Evening All,

I've been out in the shed tidying up after a few months of 'chaos' and clearing the workbench:-

bDakE2U.jpg

a few bits I had 'lying around':-

WOyuLhm.jpg

and offering them up:-

XKe6P6p.jpg

First hurdle is discovering the transformers come sans threaded fasteners.......... I now need to order some 10 x 80mm bolts, washers and nuts.........
There's always something more that you need to finish a project. You're making good progress, though. :)

Good Afternoon All (again),

Been out in the shed doing metalwork and just back in, having fed the horses, for a mug of tea. More hole pressing and chain drilling/ cutting/ filing.......

qWSt9dL.jpg

Regards

Richard

Last edited:
Good Evening All,

Well this is as far as I can go for now, the CAP6's are secured. Fixings for the transformers have been ordered via a well known internet auction site:-

abhkNwj.jpg

the back panel is now done:-

wSfNl6o.jpg

Graham advises the SE prototype boards are 'en route' so things are coming together.

Regards

Richard

Good Evening All,

I've been progressing the latest amplifier build by modifying Graham's PCB's to the values of the production PCB's. LesW has previously requested that I should refrain from showing pictures of the prototype boards so I will continue to honour that request. I have also replaced all the output resistors with non-inductive types.

I've used Charcroft Z-Foil resistors in the both the feedback positions and RN series resistors on the input.

This amplifier's completion will need to wait until I return from work away next week.

Regards

Richard

Good Afternoon All (again),

Been out in the shed doing metalwork and just back in, having fed the horses, for a mug of tea. More hole pressing and chain drilling/ cutting/ filing.......

qWSt9dL.jpg

Regards

Richard
I vice...that's what I want for Christmas...hold on, I don't think that sounds right.

Brillant build Richard....

advertisement

Back