Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Courtiestown - Naim Amplifier (Avondale) Upgrade Project

Discussion in 'd.i.y.' started by Richard Lines, Dec 7, 2021.

1. Richard Lines

Richard Lines pfm Member

Good Evening All,

So, if at first you don't succeed:-

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Regards

Richard

nobeone likes this.
  2. nobeone

nobeone Total Member

Thanks Richard, diligent stuff, and now it agrees with my schematic with the exception of the caps in the LF section, which is, after all, what we didn't know for Sara! I will have a go at doing an updated schematic for Sara NAXO and simulation of the filters so I have a SBL/IBL/etc and a Sara NAXO set. You took some pain here "for the team", I want to personally thank you. I may, at some point, have a bash with active Sara and I couldn't do it (like Naim) without this info!

3. Richard Lines

Richard Lines pfm Member

Good Afternoon All,

I'm now on with re-assembling the one Sara9 so I can clear stuff off the bench to then get on with repairing the blown SE board........

First off was re hot glueing the stockingnette to the eight uprights to reform the 'pockets', you'll see one pocket 'stuffed'.

[​IMG]

7 of the 8 pockets 'stuffed' and glued - the last to be done after outer woofer attached:-

[​IMG]

It's that hot glue gun out again:-

[​IMG]

The outer woofer sealed in its 'ring':-

[​IMG]

Almost time for lunch - more to follow.

Regards

Richard

Mike Hanson likes this.
  4. Richard Lines

Richard Lines pfm Member

Good Evening All,

Well that is both Sara9's back together with the crossover's removed ready to be actively driven.

This picture shows the cabling to the sockets soldered and heat shrunk ready for going back together again:-

[​IMG]

Credit to Kate for coming up with the suggestion of suspending the front plate on two pieces of string which allowed us to get the bracing rod through the hole in the rear of the cabinet. It's pretty clear the rods were longer originally and cut once installed.

In theory I should have 4off SE board amplifiers so just need to sort out some speaker cable.

Regards

Richard

5. a.palfreyman

a.palfreyman pfm Member

@Richard Lines they could also be marked wrong. I recently had a yellow purple gold gold (4R7) that measured 45R...

6. Richard Lines

Richard Lines pfm Member

Good Evening All (again),

Having double and treble checked the wiring between the HiCap, NAXO 2-4 and 2 x stereo SE boarded amplifiers feeding the now active Sara9's and fed it from my trusty MacBook I can report that the effort has been more than justified and then some.

Somewhere between LesW's SE boards and the Sara9's the sound is really beyond what you might expect.

I now need to get on with fixing the SE device I blew up last leave so I can have a go at driving my standard Isobariks via the Klimax streamer and Exactbox.

Regards

Richard

nobeone and laverda like this.
  7. Richard Lines

Richard Lines pfm Member

Good Evening All,

A couple of photo's from last night's listening session. In this first picture you can see the HiCap and NAXO 2-4 on the floor feeding the one stereo SE amplifier on the footstool feeding the right hand Sara9:-

[​IMG]

and the second SE amplifier feeding the left hand Sara9. Work in progress.........

[​IMG]

Regards

Richard

Mike Hanson likes this.
  8. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

I had no idea that’s what a Sara looked like inside. I had imagined the second isobaric mid woofer was simply mounted on a further joinered internal baffle.

9. Richard Lines

Richard Lines pfm Member

I had no idea either, this evolution does seem to be closer to an ideal 'piston' arrangement rather than the 'less efficient' enclosed space of the Isobarik cabinet.

Regards

Richard