advertisement

Coronavirus - the new strain XXIV

One problem is the general idea of infectiousness was established/invented during much older variant waves, probably even alpha, and has not been updated. These new Omicrons are 10 times worse now...

Came back from a Thames trip yesterday. Felt off so did a test - negative. Did another one today and it's positive. So far it's just a banging headache, cough, sore throat and aching jointsand feeling tired out. That's me out of circulation until next Friday at least.
Don’t know if anyone else has found thirst to be a symptom. I’m drinking mugs of tea all day, one after the other.
I had same issue with thirst...drink and drink some more. My DVT may have been caused by dehydration.
And Get Well Soon.

Perhaps the upcoming demand will be such that advertising won't be necessary - it seems latest variants escape previous immunization, including that from BA5 breakthrough infection.

Perhaps the upcoming demand will be such that advertising won't be necessary - it seems latest variants escape previous immunization, including that from BA5 breakthrough infection.

Only 8% effective at preventing infection but that doesn't mean that they don't boost protection against severe illness

The push to tackle the hospital backlog is being undermined by the struggle to get services back to full strength.

A BBC analysis shows the expected surge in new patients has not yet happened.

Instead, the waiting list in England is growing - it has hit 7m - because the NHS is carrying out fewer operations and treatments than it was before Covid despite a push to boost capacity.

Surgeons said it was really frustrating as operating theatres were not being used due to a lack of beds and staff.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-63219147

Good Morning All,

I was out kayaking with a now retired GP yesterday afternoon. He has been on the sceptical side of the arguments since the outset. He isn't currently planning on taking up his second booster option. I still intend taking mine. Just getting over my first encounter with COVID-19..........

Not good news to hear staff availability affecting the blood transfusion service......

Regards

Richard

It is certainly worse than a cold!

It is interesting to see the different impacts on people. I would describe mine as circa 24hr of mildly irritating minor cough followed by an increasingly (very) sore throat and general lethargy lasting 4 -5 days. Generally over it now. No loss of smell or taste. Nothing even vaguely resembling an elevated temperature.

Regards

Richard

It is certainly worse than a cold!
I’m still floored by it.
Every time I try to do something around the house I last about an hour then I have to have a lie down with nausea and exhaustion.

Likewise for both of us, except raised temperatures for a week or so. I tested positive for 10 days, Mrs hc for 12. I did a quick supermarket shop yesterday (been negative for 3 days) and had to spend an hour recovering on the sofa…

I get the impression from my family and next door neighbour that these current variants are quite a bit nastier than what we had been seeing. My brother is still struggling after 7 weeks, next door a month in and just now going shopping and teenage daughter is really laid low this week...

My experience...

Had a very sore throat and a tight chest about ten days ago. It felt more aggressive than the common cold so I tested myself - negative. Tested again a couple of days later and still negative. Thought nothing more of it as the symptoms were consistent with an unpleasant cold.

I started to feel better after about a week but was still coughing and feeling easily tired, so I tested myself again - positve result (twice - I double checked).

So, after dodging it for over two years, I finally have COVID. It's been pretty mild, to be honest - only felt rough for about three days, and even then I didn't have terrible headaches or muscle pains. Now, I just have a cough and get tired much more easily than usual - I want to sleep, a lot.

So, not too debilitating right now, but it is annoying, and it's certainly outstayed its welcome.

Weekly update - hospitalisations have stabilised but I fear it won't be for very long, these cases were mostly older variants, unfortunately. Possibly the booster programme is helping too but the numbers are very low, only 28 444 in the past week. Anyway 1 275 is the latest figure so down a tad on last week (1 344). Another week until half term in most places.

Last edited:

advertisement

Back