advertisement

Coronavirus - the new strain XXIV

Immune reactions to severe Covid may trigger brain problems, study finds
Research suggests immune response may be cause of delirium and brain fog in Covid patients

"Severe Covid infections can cause immune reactions that damage nerve cells in the brain, causing memory problems and confusion, and potentially raising the risk of long-term health issues, research suggests.

Scientists at King’s College London found that a wayward immune response to the virus increased the death rate of neurons and had a “profound” impact on regeneration in the hippocampus region of the brain, which is crucial for learning and memory.

The findings are preliminary but suggest Covid can trigger neurological problems in patients without the virus having to infect the brain itself. The process is believed to underpin delirium in Covid patients, but may also contribute to brain fog and other problems experienced by people with long Covid."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...-covid-may-trigger-brain-problems-study-finds

The virus left about 750,000 more people bereaved than would usually have been the case and 40% of those who wanted formal help did not get it, according to the UK Commission on Bereavement. It examined the impact of the period of missed funerals, lockdowns that prevented families grieving together and remote schooling that may have left bereaved children without help from teachers.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...k-affected-prospects-tens-of-thousands-report

"Those with the most number of infections are children aged 2 to 15 years. Enough infections to infect them ALL twice over and more. A few will be on zero infections, some on 1 but many will have had 3+ infections. Last groups to get vax & still lowest vaxed (esp 5-11yrs)."

"I wonder how those [shills] who put out [the opposite] narrative- not just in the UK, but globally- square this with reality."

https://twitter.com/dgurdasani1/status/1577779850508738561?cxt=HHwWgoC9tcSas-UrAAAA

"Those with the most number of infections are children aged 2 to 15 years. Enough infections to infect them ALL twice over and more. A few will be on zero infections, some on 1 but many will have had 3+ infections. Last groups to get vax & still lowest vaxed (esp 5-11yrs)."

"I wonder how those [shills] who put out [the opposite] narrative- not just in the UK, but globally- square this with reality."

https://twitter.com/dgurdasani1/status/1577779850508738561?cxt=HHwWgoC9tcSas-UrAAAA
There's plenty of people who can't or won't follow the advice of the medical profession Gav.

There's plenty of people who can't or won't follow the advice of the medical profession Gav.

Indeed but it was JCVI who withheld and are witholding again the vaccine from kids while they get infected and spread their infections to others. I think that's what she's getting at with that comment and having a dig at a few Government scientists along the way. At least 2% of children have long covid after infection - that's a lot of kids. https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanchi/article/PIIS2352-4642(21)00342-4/fulltext

More than 1m people report long Covid in UK a year after infection
ONS data comes as NHS England figures show rise in hospital admissions of people with coronavirus

"Ondine Sherwood, a co-founder of the advocacy group and charity Long Covid SOS, says the sheer number of people now reporting long Covid – 342,000 of whose lives are “severely impacted” as result – illustrates that this is “not just a personal tragedy but a societal, health and workforce problem”."

“This reinforces the message that it’s really foolhardy to imagine we can laugh off a massive, growing BA.5 wave as ‘living with the virus’ and ‘no worse than flu’,” he said. “Long Covid and even long Covid from the 2022 Omicron waves continues to wreck lives in people of all ages. I do wish we could just remind everyone to take this seriously – get boosted, keep indoor meetings well ventilated, wear masks indoors and for travel.” [Danny Altmann.]

https://www.theguardian.com/society...eport-long-covid-in-uk-a-year-after-infection

Another significant rise in hospitalisations this week. 1344 (3/10) cf 998 last week (35%) again the Moday figure.

Zoe update. A lot of colds around confusing the issue with similar symptoms to covid. Covid cases up 50% in the past fortnight. 1 in 26 now. Booster only 8% effective at preventing infection.

"Hospital-Acquired COVID-19 - 6th Oct update I have to admit to being surprised at how high the numbers are getting. In the last 28 days, out of 21,809 people admitted to hospital with Covid in England, 7,908 probably or definitely caught it there (36.3%) " [We're going to be seeing hospital negligence claims if this isn't dealt with soon]

https://twitter.com/LawtonTri/status/1578015872920465412?cxt=HHwWiMDRtezEnuYrAAAA
I am also surprised at the gradient being so high. Maybe this is the new normal for a well vaccinated population with minimal measures in place and the government saying that the pandemic is over.

After avoiding Covid in our family, my wife tested positive on Wednesday (half her office went down with Covid last week, and unless you are sick, the management want them in at work). My daughter and I have tested negative, but as I have a severely weakened immune system, I am being very careful and hope that I have been lucky. We do have a heat recovery ventilation system at home and 4 portable HEPA filters in operation, but still need to be lucky.

I am also surprised at the gradient being so high. Maybe this is the new normal for a well vaccinated population with minimal measures in place and the government saying that the pandemic is over.

After avoiding Covid in our family, my wife tested positive on Wednesday (half her office went down with Covid last week, and unless you are sick, the management want them in at work). My daughter and I have tested negative, but as I have a severely weakened immune system, I am being very careful and hope that I have been lucky. We do have a heat recovery ventilation system at home and 4 portable HEPA filters in operation, but still need to be lucky.
All the best Ian.

Yesterday was the first day I felt my old self again since catching a thankfully mild dose. Now just some muscle ache and shortness of breath.

Celebrated with a stroll around the heath and carrot cake and a cup of tea from the Blackheath Tea Hut. Lots of stopping to sit on benches and it was all I could do to stagger home. Collapsed on the sofa and slept for 90 mins straight!

Yesterday was the first day I felt my old self again since catching a thankfully mild dose. Now just some muscle ache and shortness of breath.

Celebrated with a stroll around the heath and carrot cake and a cup of tea from the Blackheath Tea Hut. Lots of stopping to sit on benches and it was all I could do to stagger home. Collapsed on the sofa and slept for 90 mins straight!

It takes it out of you for sure - don't do too much to quickly paul

LIVE: Tune in for discussion on some of the top Covid #myths and #misinformation - session hosted by Prof Trish Greenhalgh, chaired by Dr Guddi Singh, and numbers by Dr Duncan Robertson.

Last edited:
What Gav said, Paul, don't overdo it in the early stages of recovery. Just likely to set you back.

This ^^^. I am fairly sure that my 4 months of long covid / chronic fatigue was due to trying to keep my triathlon training going during a very mild bout of Covid. I can never be sure, but I'll be much more careful to listen to my body in future. I had a similar experience in my late 20s with what was likely an EBV infection and wanting to go out with the cycling club.

I think the key to recovery is to try to get your physical activity level just right - not too little, not too much - and especially not too much early on in the recovery.

Best wishes to all of those battling or attempting to avoid Covid. It's quite dispiriting that so many people believe Covid to be "over".

advertisement

Back