advertisement

Coronavirus - the new strain XXIV

Long covid can partly be caused simply by the brain thinking it still actually has it.
Re-training the brain so that it understands that it is actually fine to get back into work / exercising is not at all easy.
I can say this as fact as I have a close friend now (thankfully) getting to the other side of this, having undergone an age of getting themselves on the road to full fitness / recovery.
So you can feel like you are doing really well, then get it like a ton of bricks and literally go backwards by weeks.
Managing 'fitness levels' is part of it, but getting (literally) your head around the fact you are pysically fine is / can be very difficult.
I did post some links to this many pages ago (re-training the brain), It can, and obviously does work.
Dont think you can just go back to normal though if you do have long Covid. It can be and is very debilitating.

Dont think you can just go back to normal though if you do have long Covid. It can be and is very debilitating.

With real long covid the old fashioned advice (discredited with ME and now withdrawn also for me personally post stroke) to do a little exercise and build up just doesn't work. It's draining sets you back and prevents you from doing the necessaries day to day. My wife is still getting that advice and learning the hard way. In fact she's just given up on yoga, which was the latest guff from the post-covid clinic, in lieu of any proper testing/scans etc. The key is to find a level and to stick there, if/when you begin to recover then you just forget and start to do more naturally a bit like easing off the paracetemol after a cold etc...

Yup, best of luck Ian W. Stay safe and well. I hope the wife's symptoms are mild and wish her a speedy recovery.

My wife caught Covid a couple of weeks ago and for some strange reason I tested negative.

Came back from a Thames trip yesterday. Felt off so did a test - negative. Did another one today and it's positive. So far it's just a banging headache, cough, sore throat and aching jointsand feeling tired out. That's me out of circulation until next Friday at least.
Don’t know if anyone else has found thirst to be a symptom. I’m drinking mugs of tea all day, one after the other.

Last edited:
Came back from a Thames trip yesterday. Felt off so did a test - negative. Did another one today and it's positive. So far it's just a banging headache, cough, sore throat and aching jointsand feeling tired out. That's me out of circulation until next Friday at least.

welcome to the band! I’m 9 days in and still testing positive. Take it easy and go well…

My eldest is positive today. I'm not booked for my booster until next week but so happy that I got her new room finished for ther start of term so that we can all keep apart much more effectively. The school just advised 3 days isolation although that is disproven clap trap...

My eldest is positive today. I'm not booked for my booster until next week but so happy that I got her new room finished for ther start of term so that we can all keep apart much more effectively. The school just advised 3 days isolation although that is disproven clap trap...
That is bad luck but at least you can isolate more effectively. We are lucky that we have been able to do that for all 4 of us, but it isn't easy with an 88 year old in the house!

Thanks to all for the good wishes on here. My daughter and I have fortunately tested -ve throughout (6 tests now) but my wife is still testing +ve.

With my wife testing positive has made getting my medical treatment done a bit more awkward as all patients where I go will be immune suppressed and so there needs to be a spare room that can be cleaned afterwards.

Where did the school come up with the 3 days isolation from?? I have read nothing that suggests there is any basis for picking 3 days.

Where did the school come up with the 3 days isolation from?? I have read nothing that suggests there is any basis for picking 3 days.

NHS guidance 5 days for adult 3 for u-18s. It actually says "If they’re well and do not have a temperature after 3 days, there’s a much lower risk that they’ll pass on COVID-19 to others." Nevermind that temperature isn't one of the main symptoms just now anyway...

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coron...reatment/when-to-self-isolate-and-what-to-do/

Don’t know if anyone else has found thirst to be a symptom. I’m drinking mugs of tea all day, one after the other.

Get well soon Bob. I wasn't any thirstier than usual but I found copious mugs of strong tea certainly helped alleviate the symptoms.

I had COVID very recently and was testing positive until the 9th day. Felt rubbish for a couple of days with one quite feverish night at the beginning and cold symptoms/fatigue for the remainder. My wife was really quite poorly for a day with significant fever but recovered faster and tested negative after six days.

Hope she's OK Gav. Stay safe all of you.

advertisement

Back