advertisement

Coronavirus - the new strain XXIV

Back to reality, here's the weekly update. 1 039 (the highest of this wave to date) this week up from 933 last (11%). This hasn't been caused by hospital transmission apparently so it's community infection, possibly driven by waning immunity as we saw last October or maybe the fall we were seeing was the usual half term effect. Just when we were hoping for a period of respite.

Sean,

That's the one paper — an editorial — about immunity debt published in a journal with an impact factor of 0.429.

I've having Paul R climate change flashbacks. I sincerely regret coming back. It won't happen again.

Joe

Sean,

That's the one paper — an editorial — about immunity debt published in a journal with an impact factor of 0.429.

I've having Paul R climate change flashbacks. I sincerely regret coming back. It won't happen again.

Joe
The link is a headline editorial explaining the concept and a list of related articles addressing the phenomenon of alterations in the circulation of respiratory diseases following the implementation of NPIs. A quick scan ought to demonstrate that it is not twisted logic to think that lockdown had a significant effect here. As I’ve tried to explain this is not an argument against lockdown! ISTM to be just a basic, accepted epidemiological fact.

Edit: helpful overview here:

https://alasdairmunro.substack.com/...mer?r=1fhhmw&utm_medium=ios&utm_campaign=post

And yet the wellbeing team at my partner's kids' school say lockdown has had little impact with mental health problems about the same as they were pre-lockdown. I fear there is an element of everyone seeing what they want to see to support their agendas here and/or there being other factors in play such that lockdown was a catalyst. The truth as in all these all things probably lies somewhere in the middle as sure some kids will have been affected, but a lot of others haven't. At the end of the day the world was dealing with a virus the likes of which we had never seen before and lockdowns were one way to buy some time... the death toll (already staggeringly high in the UK) would have been a lot higher without them, but if you think that doesn't matter as you're more pre-disposed towards the country's agenda being driven by the children's welfare at the expense of anything else then fine, you are absolutely entitled to that opinion. Mine is different and my first had experienced of three kids (9, 12 and 13) and their friends is they have suffered no long term issues which to me indicates it's not as simple as 'lockdown caused kids mental health issues' and perhaps we should be looking at a more wider scoped enquiry as to why some have suffered and others haven't as I fully expect there are more reasons than just lockdown although it is likely a contributory factor in some cases.

Without lockdowns, there would have been a whole load more deaths (which, as you say, is staggeringly high in the UK). Had we not locked down, then the death toll would have been higher. More Mums and Dads. So even if we think that lockdowns adversely affected some kids mental health, I wonder how much worse some kids mental health could have been had one or even both of their parents succumbed? There's too many variables to say for sure; to argue otherwise does suggest a pre-formed opinion, or agenda.

Nice to know that the issues I (and others I am aware of) are having to resolve are actually not real, not remotely life threatening, and are just actually scare stories, put out there to take our minds away from other existing stuff. I appreciate that.
The fact I am having medical professionals telling me this obviously has little bearing.
They admit to not fully understanding the mechanism for this occuring (yet) but for a claim to be made it's stories and not for real, well - thats something I'm not going to be reading again.
I am not claiming that this is causing surges of anything, and as has been said, not claiming it trashes the immune system.
I realise I said I would not say more, but your dissing of my reply actually did need a response. It is not a fairy story. It does have something to do with what Covid has done within me. ~There is testing and study that i have agreed to go with to pursue this further.
That is all.

Nice to know that the issues I (and others I am aware of) are having to resolve are actually not real, not remotely life threatening, and are just actually scare stories, put out there to take our minds away from other existing stuff. I appreciate that.
The fact I am having medical professionals telling me this obviously has little bearing.
They admit to not fully understanding the mechanism for this occuring (yet) but for a claim to be made it's stories and not for real, well - thats something I'm not going to be reading again.
I am not claiming that this is causing surges of anything, and as has been said, not claiming it trashes the immune system.
I realise I said I would not say more, but your dissing of my reply actually did need a response. It is not a fairy story. It does have something to do with what Covid has done within me. ~There is testing and study that i have agreed to go with to pursue this further.
That is all.
I didn’t mean to dis your reply and didn’t think that’s what I was doing. Apologies. As I say I’m experiencing something similar and am not denying that covid can mess with the immune system.

The government’s Covid infection survey – regarded worldwide as the “gold standard” for surveillance of the virus – is being paused for several months.

The weekly survey published by the Office for National Statistics has been the most reliable indicator for how many people in the UK are infected with coronavirus at any one time.

It will be paused for several months after ministers failed to confirm funding for the scheme beyond the end of this month.

https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/o...ars-no-official-method-tracking-virus-2198861

There is also a threat to what remains of the dashboard - please complete the survey (it's completely ananymous)

https://www.smartsurvey.co.uk/s/H04ENF/

Tip of the iceberg of covid fraud no doubt (aside from govt itself of course). The UK must have ‘mug’ written across its forehead. Oh well, at least it’s Cheltenham next week. Hard to believe 3 years ago was the superspreader event, when all we were told was ‘wash your hands’.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-64879444

Another increase this week 1189 (Monday) vs 1039 - 14%.

I am none the wiser in terms of what is really happening, especially as that looks like a spike, followed by a slight reduction and then another spike.

I do wonder if the number of people going into hospital is reducing because more people have had Covid and there is some additional immunity / ability to deal better with Covid second time round. Meanwhile the more vulnerable have had vaccination booster after booster. Maybe also there has been a gradual improvement in air quality in some buildings with HEPA / ionising / plasma filters along with better ventilation.

We see fewer and fewer people wearing masks, but as we remain vulnerable, we continue to wear masks indoors when there are people close by.

I am none the wiser in terms of what is really happening, especially as that looks like a spike, followed by a slight reduction and then another spike.

I do wonder if the number of people going into hospital is reducing because more people have had Covid and there is some additional immunity / ability to deal better with Covid second time round. Meanwhile the more vulnerable have had vaccination booster after booster. Maybe also there has been a gradual improvement in air quality in some buildings with HEPA / ionising / plasma filters along with better ventilation.

We see fewer and fewer people wearing masks, but as we remain vulnerable, we continue to wear masks indoors when there are people close by.

We'll see if Indie sage has any clues next week (not Today). There was half term of course and I'd put my money on waning immunity causing the long slow drag upwards as in October. That peak was controlled by vaccination ultimately.

Last edited:

advertisement

Back