advertisement

Coronavirus - the new strain XXIV

Yup same here. If someone in my household tests positive for Covid we all isolate. Hope your symptoms are mild and recovery is swift.

I suppose it’s good that we both have it together Brian. My symptoms aren’t that bad tbh. Jean is feeling quite rough but at least I’m here to look after her. Whisky all in is the go to cure for me Brian. It’s working already :)

Best of luck Chops, if it's any consolation (its not really) both my wife and myself had exactly the same thing - she had a heavy head cold, I followed a day later - both +VE.. Lasted as a heavy head cold, -Ve 7 days later.
We both isolated as well.

Pfizer/BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine authorised for use in infants and children aged 6 months to 4 years
The Comirnaty COVID vaccine has met the MHRA’s required safety, quality and effectiveness standards to be authorised for use in this age group

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/...ts-and-children-aged-6-months-to-4-years?s=08

However, it will be for the Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation (JCVI) to determine if the vaccine will be recommended for use in this age group as part of the UK’s COVID-19 vaccination programme.

And this is before the Christmas party season starts. People just don't care do they? Until it badly affect them or their loved ones :(

This is the current guidance it's been greatly watered down recently but I'm sure it's still not being followed. Note the change that kids should not test unless directed by a health professional (so that they are expected to go to school even with symptoms) - I'd like to know the evidence behind that bit...

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/people-with-symptoms-of-a-respiratory-infection-including-covid-19

I was rough Monday night and I felt that ill that I didn’t want to go sleep in case I didn’t wake up:eek: We’re both much better now and hoping to be clear by Saturday. If not we’ll just have to take some more time off :)

I think a lot of people believe covid is history now and everything is back to normal. A few days like we’ve just had would tell them that it’s anything but :( It may not be as bad as it was at first but it’s bad enough.

And thank you Gav for keeping these pages going :cool:

People do care. What would you have people do to ‘care’ in your eyes?
For example, wear proper fitting ffp2 masks in hospitals, on pubic transport and when indoors in crowded areas.

The science behind this with papers documenting tests and studies that show that this approach is very effective at protecting people from viruses have been linked to many times in this thread.

People do care. What would you have people do to ‘care’ in your eyes?

Wear an effin' mask when you go into shops. If 90% of the customers wore masks the shop workers likely wouldn't need to and we'd still get the R number down some.

I get that masks are uncomfortable if you have to wear them all day - so shop workers should definitely have the choice whether to wear one.

I have no sympathy for the general public whining about masks being uncomfortable or an affront to one's liberty if you only have to put the thing on for < 15 minutes and doing so could greatly lower community transmission. I feel like the far right has won this debate, to the great detriment of everyone else.

Patients needing urgent ambulances in London faced five-hour waits this week as overrun A&E departments struggled to cope with demand, leaked emails show.

A series of emails sent to NHS 111 staff yesterday, seen by The Independent, also warned that urgent treatment centres (UTCs) across the city had been forced to close because they were full.

Staff were told to stop sending patients to at least six UTCs because they could no longer accept them.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/patients-wait-ambulances-a-e-delays-b2242179.html

Hospital-acquired Covid cases are rising at an increasing rate. There were 1,917 likely hospital acquired cases in the 7 days to 12 Dec. vs 1,469 in the previous week - a 30% increase. This follows a 26% increase the previous week. Total Covid hospitalisations are up 28%. 1/3 [A sure sign of increase case numbers in the community]

"A reminder that hospital acquired Covid is defined as a first positive test 7 or more days after admission. When patients who are ill enough to require hospitalisation for 7 days acquire Covid as well, this will only complicate their recovery and slow down their discharge. "

https://twitter.com/AdeleGroyer/status/1603322279236194304/photo/1

Zoe update 3:47. Rates above 200 k, 1 in 27. Unchanged symptoms. Still driven by school kids. Note that fever is uncommon unlike flu or the other repiritory illnesses that are ciculation. Colds 4x more common than covid currently. A good diet is very helpful.

Back (almost) to 1000 daily admissions 965 (12/12) vs 724 last week. Another big jump and definitely a new wave. One more update to come before Christmas...

Hi @gavreid , looks like each time the wave is reducing. With a reduction at the peak, with lower gradients on the up and down and more time around the minima. But that could all change if the next wave is a new variant with more severe characteristics.

Hi @gavreid , looks like each time the wave is reducing. With a reduction at the peak, with lower gradients on the up and down and more time around the minima. But that could all change if the next wave is a new variant with more severe characteristics.

It's very difficult to tell if the number of beds has been the same or similar. I suspect not as the nhs grinds forever downwards. I've not looked at the numbers of deaths by wave in detail, which should answer that one reasonably well I guess... I think modelling now is too complex as well given the range of people with different vaccination and exposure histories the various variant etc, etc.

R4 this morning said that more people in hospital with influenza virus than Covid currently. The peak of that not expected for a few weeks as well. We are rather obsessing about Covid now I feel.

advertisement

Back