advertisement

Coronavirus - the new strain XXI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just watched an interview with Dr. Scott Gottlieb. He was FDA commissioner under the previous administration (but I don't hold that against him). He made an interesting point about this new South Africa variant. He was using past pandemics as precedents where we saw major virus mutation. In those cases, more deadly versions arose, but their transmission rate was often much lower.

I hope this proves to be true. It was the first hopeful message I've heard about it, but as everyone knows, the lab tests needed to give us better guidance have only just begun.

I’d love to see some evidence - or even some mildly informed logic - to support that bizarre assertion!

Sean99 can speak for himself but I interpreted him to mean profiteeering, control over IP and the failure to allow regionalised manufacturing in Africa. A little emotional maybe but this all seems worrying, hc. SA is the richest of the southern African nations and is not short of vaccines apparently, but it lacks the infrastructure to roll them out.

It is a rapidly evolving situation. The WHO (not the Guess or the guitar smashing variety) has named the latest variant Omicron.

FFI4sQaXMAUosgS

Joe

@Seanm @gavreid I’m no defender of pharma marketing departments, but the world in which the companies operate makes it easy to criticise and difficult for them to resolve. Even releasing IP for vaccines which sounds easy will be fraught with gotchas too many to list here, and probably more than I could come up with.

What’s is not helpful is saying that CEOs are choosing who lives and dies. That’s not over-emotional or overstated, it is obscene and rather quickly forgets that the shit we are in would be over our heads by now if those CEOs hadn’t signed off on chucking everything at getting products out.

Rant over and I’m not visiting this subject again.

Paul,

I know we tend to fixate on the measures we personally can do easily (e.g., work from home in my case) or have done (e.g., got poked in the arm if you're in the developed world), but battling this bugger of a virus has to be from multiple angles.

It's like when the ship is under attack by the Romulans. Raise shields (mask up and fix the ventilation), power up the phaser banks (vaccinate), arm the photon torpedos (boosters if warranted), and have the engines ready to engage at warp 9.65 if you need to hightail it outta there (social distancing).

Sorry to virus up this Trek thread, but sometimes you need a good analogy.

Joe

@Seanm @gavreid I’m no defender of pharma marketing departments, but the world in which the companies operate makes it easy to criticise and difficult for them to resolve. Even releasing IP for vaccines which sounds easy will be fraught with gotchas too many to list here, and probably more than I could come up with.

What’s is not helpful is saying that CEOs are choosing who lives and dies. That’s not over-emotional or overstated, it is obscene and rather quickly forgets that the shit we are in would be over our heads by now if those CEOs hadn’t signed off on chucking everything at getting products out.

Other Sean.

Just objectively though, regardless of personal blame, it’s pretty clear the pharmaceutical industry might not be operating optimally, from a health perspective.

It would be naive to think otherwise but it's helpful to define the problem here. Why does Pfizer remain at more than 10x the cost per dose of AZ given that it's becoming old technology and that it was a product of public investment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back