Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Coronavirus - the new strain XX

Discussion in 'off topic' started by gavreid, Jul 22, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

The government advice is bullshit, which is kind of my point. It appears in Henley etc people have the education etc to filter it and act safely/responsibly, yet here they seem to buy it outright as being legitimate. I’m pleased museums and some other areas get that and are acting in the best interest of their staff.

2. Ponty

Ponty pfm Member

It was most odd. The same store (Tesco) about 8 miles apart and it could have been a million miles away. The food costs the same so it can’t be anything to do with money. Have you seen how much houses cost in Reading?!

3. davidsrsb

davidsrsb pfm Member

I bet most people who go to Waitrose in Reading wear masks.
    It is the same where I am, while we have to wear masks by law, you see much more care about correct use of them and personal space in the upmarket shops.
    At the vaccination centres you can easily see that the early registrants were largely the better educated and wealthier.

4. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

Today's update is delayed while they count the bodies again...

tiggers likes this.
  5. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

About 80% mask wearing in my local Aldi an hour ago.

6. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

This has been the case throughout. It infuriates me as our elitist class-warrior Bullingdon Club government clearly understands this difference in behaviour as it is well documented and chooses (it is unquestionably a choice) not to protect people. To my eyes there is a duty of care that is entirely absent here. Wealth, social class and education should not be the key driver in surviving this, yet by blanket relaxing rules the Tories have ensured it is.

tiggers and gavreid like this.
  7. Joe Hutch

Joe Hutch Mate of the bloke

Ditto in Sainsbury's this morning. Many empty shelves though.

8. canonman

canonman pfm Member

Sign on door of Windsor Great Park farm shop this morning requesting make wearing. Door entry staff, no masks!

9. paulfromcamden

paulfromcamden Baffled

Hmm.

About 50,000 people stopped using Scotland's Covid tracking app in July, the Scottish government has confirmed.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-57941343

10. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Byline Times and others are reporting that the empty shelves are a consequence of Brexit, not the so called ‘pingdemic’ smokescreen. If this media deflection is true then it makes people turning off their phone tracking even more heartbreaking to see. The power of a corrupt lying government and a complicit press is just terrifying.

Nick_G, zarniwoop, Spike55 and 2 others like this.
  11. mandryka

mandryka pfm Member

12. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

I’d look at the case positivity rate- to be clear, the share of tests coming back positive - rather than the absolute number of positive results. I do that in conjunction with the number hospitalisations and deaths and finally the R number- all are falling in Scotland.

One thing I’ve learned is that you cannot be complacent about infection rates with this thing. There’s an inevitable fourth wave coming and I want my government to put in place public health restrictions to mitigate it.

I trust those more than relying on “the personal judgement of the individual” to keep themselves (and me) safe and I’m rather cynical about self serving PR stunts with names like “Freedom Day” and “Irreversible”.

13. Seeker_UK

Seeker_UK Booyakashah, check out my avatar...

If I said it was half that in Morrisons in W'boro today, I'd be accused of being Pollyanna-ish.

14. paulfromcamden

paulfromcamden Baffled

Actually you're right - 5% isn't going to make much odds!

15. paulfromcamden

paulfromcamden Baffled

I got pinged by the app today - four days self-isolating :(

Tried booking a walk-in PCR test online. Local testing centre showed loads of slots this evening. Clicked confirm and got a message saying there was a technical problem - try again. Did that a few times with the same result. Tried another browser etc. Gave up and called 119 and the bloke sighed a bit and said, yeah there's a bug on the website where if you try and book an evening slot it shows loads of slots then gives an error message. Suggested I try for the morning and sure enough it booked straight away. 119 bloke reckoned the website had been doing this for a couple of months now. Said they get loads of calls early evening every day with people saying the same thing.

16. Sonority

Sonority pfm Member

It'll only cost £37B to fix -apparently.

17. k90tour

k90tour pfm Member

Popped into a petrol station today. Not one person wearing a mask. I waited outside , wearing mine, until the shop/till area emptied. The same people were last week wearing them. Do they know why, or was just that were told to?

18. davidsrsb

davidsrsb pfm Member

You can view this as the elite seeing the opportunity to cull the masses, who were unlikely to vote for them as well.
    The snag in the UK will be the costs of long COVID. Maybe they will find a way to make access state benefits for these cases complex.

19. Andrew C!

Andrew C! Been around a while....

The costs of long Covid won’t be just medical: Taxpayers to bear Covid cost for decades to come, say MPs https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-57958178

Ive mentioned this before. Wait until some elements of society suddenly get asked to pay 2-5p in the pound more tax to pay this lot off…

20. paulfromcamden

paulfromcamden Baffled

Or they'll see this as the excuse they need for another few decades of 'austerity'.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.