advertisement

Coronavirus - the new strain XVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
No I know, one of my best friends lives in Perth and we have done many a Zoom about the differences.

As for the human cost don't take this the wrong way but I very much doubt it equates to the differences in deaths... just saying. :D
I was talking about an individual case, this was made pretty clear.

So one of the few positives of the pandemic was the realisation that many had the ability to work from home and it does actually work. The benefits outside of the pandemic are many... reduced travel and the consequent time saving being chief amongst these. Less pollution from transport is a big win IMO! But.... no..... we are about to **** that up too.

Five-day office week will become the norm again

Sad frankly! An open goal missed.

They should re-write that headline. It needs to make clear that all of the contributors - a think tank that wants to boost city economies, private landlords / estate agents, and some random couple that run a coffee shop that depends on footfall from commuters - all hope that a five day office week will become the norm again.

Which it won't.

I was talking about an individual case, this was made pretty clear.

Yes I know, but what I am saying is that I very much doubt the overall difference in approach has cost the equivalent lives in Australia. Sure many people are massively inconvenienced and even having mental health problems, but at least they're not dead! The UK's approach is demonstrably crap in comparison to the likes of Aus/NZ etc.

They should re-write that headline. It needs to make clear that all of the contributors - a think tank that wants to boost city economies, private landlords / estate agents, and some random couple that run a coffee shop that depends on footfall from commuters - all hope that a five day office week will become the norm again.

Which it won't.

I hope you're right.

Yes I know, but what I am saying is that I very much doubt the overall difference in approach has cost the equivalent lives in Australia. Sure many people are massively inconvenienced and even having mental health problems, but at least they're not dead! The UK's approach is demonstrably crap in comparison to the likes of Aus/NZ etc.
The flip side being that Australia would have to go to amazing lengths to get near UK death levels due to geography & they have a long-held stance on secure borders which the lefties on here would never tolerate;)

I am not sure that Australian youth will be too damaged by not coming over here to tend bars or work in media but you never know.

Interesting to see billionaire Tory donor/‘lord’ Andrew Lloyd Webber take the government on regarding reopening on the 21st. He states he’ll open his no doubt awful new musical regardless of government advice (Sky News).

Interesting to see billionaire Tory donor/‘lord’ Andrew Lloyd Webber take the government on regarding reopening on the 21st. He states he’ll open his no doubt awful new musical regardless of government advice (Sky News).
I’ve been critical of the way we’ve criminalised a public health emergency but if he does that I will personally perform a citizen’s arrest on the mfr.

The flip side being that Australia would have to go to amazing lengths to get near UK death levels due to geography & they have a long-held stance on secure borders which the lefties on here would never tolerate;)

I am not sure that Australian youth will be too damaged by not coming over here to tend bars or work in media but you never know.

A former colleague had served with the NZ Air Force. He told me the reconnaissance aircraft would go out in the morning to find the boats carrying migrants. Their navy would be dispatched to intercept the boat and transfer the migrants to the naval vessel at which point the strike aircraft would sink the refugees boat in front of them. The migrants would be taken to dry land and put on a plane back home. The Aussies did the same apparently.

To be honest there's something to be said for bringing ALW fans together in one place and letting Covid do its thing ;)

A former colleague had served with the NZ Air Force. He told me the reconnaissance aircraft would go out in the morning to find the boats carrying migrants. Their navy would be dispatched to intercept the boat and transfer the migrants to the naval vessel at which point the strike aircraft would sink the refugees boat in front of them. The migrants would be taken to dry land and put on a plane back home. The Aussies did the same apparently.

Nope, the Aussies are worse as they ship lots of them to Christmas Island to live in squalor for months on end while they are 'processed'! One of the reasons I decided it wasn't for me when I worked there for a year in late 2000s.

That said this has little to do with the border controls put in place to tackle Covid which undoubtedly work better than 'our solution'.

The Yorkshire Post is reporting that a two week delay is being considered. The clowns are more worried about impacting summer holidays than the virus it seems

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/hea...two-weeks-to-allow-time-for-more-jabs-3264794

Speaking to the Guardian in a personal capacity, Nicholas Grassly, professor in vaccine epidemiology at Imperial College London and a member of the Scientific Pandemic Influenza Group on Modelling (SPI-M) said the fact that infection rates are already increasing “ means we will very likely have a third wave of infection even if the lifting of restrictions on 21 June is postponed”.

“To bring the R number below 1, some restrictions that have already been lifted may need to be reimposed,” he said, adding that vaccinations will also help as they offer some protection against infection, particularly after two doses.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jun/08/uk-considers-delaying-21-june-lockdown-easing

That was a looooong time ago.

That's the nature of exponential growth and seeding a handful of cases. They found 8 positives I believe. Suppose there were 2 others that got away - with a doubling time of a week that's 128 cases over 6 weeks.

That's the nature of exponential growth and seeding a handful of cases. They found 8 positives I believe. Suppose there were 2 others that got away - with a doubling time of a week that's 128 cases over 6 weeks.
Does 2 (hypothetical) cases make it a super spreader event though?

I know it’s common to say that people don’t understand exponential growth, but I wonder if it’s possible to go too far the other way: every missed case becomes a potential catastrophe.

But even before you get to herd immunity, the exponential nature of the growth is disrupted by widespread vaccination, surely? Perhaps it's still exponential in nature, I'm not sure, but the doubling time will surely be much greater if 50% if the potential hosts are immunised.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back