advertisement

Coronavirus - the new strain XIX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who bothers with registering a negative test?

I don't. My workplace doesn't even enquire whether anyone is using the tests they've made available (though judging by the short list of names whenever I sign a pack out, not many people are taking them).

It doesn’t surprise me. At the height of the first lockdown (the one people actually paid attention to) the roads were empty but around here the idiots with tweaked-up hatchbacks were out burning rubber etc. I have been passed far too many times by morons driving at around twice to three times the speed limit seemingly immune to police challenge. That behaviour seems to remain even though the streets are now full of vehicles again. Then there is the drug abuse. I am convinced about one in ten drivers around here is either pissed or stoned. The amount of open skunk/cannabis use is just astonishing, you smell it everywhere in the north of England. Including from car windows. Driving when drugged/pissed should carry a serious penalty IMO, e.g. prison or a truly life-changing fine.

PS I’m pretty liberal when it comes to drug law as I fully grasp just how destructive the violent gang culture that supplies it is and I’d like to see this multi-£bn industry fully taxed and paying its way rather than expecting the rest of us to clean up its mess at our expense. Humans take drugs, that is just a reality, so we may as well get it to pay its way and only criminalise behaviour dangerous to others.
See it a lot in the Peak District, strong smell of skunk as you are close passed by a gang of idiots in a souped up hatch worth less than the bike I ride & probably not taxed or insured.

A breakdown of the recent deaths re vaccination. We are seeing deaths beginning to rise now I think. Make of the stats what you will...

I believe we are about to enter a new phase where deaths of older people and the disabled will be accepted again as the cost of 'freedom'.

"As of 21 June, there have been 117 deaths in England of people who were confirmed as having the Delta variant and who died within 28 days of a positive test.

Of this number, eight were under the age of 50 and 109 were over 50, PA Media reports.

Of the 109 over 50, 38 were unvaccinated, one was within 21 days of a first dose of vaccine, 17 more than 21 days after one dose of vaccine and 50 had received both doses.

Of the eight under 50, two were more than 21 days after a first dose of vaccine and six were unvaccinated."

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...0834183eee196b#block-60d59ed68f0834183eee196b

Scary stats indeed that IMHO suggest we should be putting the brakes on the relaxation of social mixing.

Couldn’t agree more, but the practicality is that unless the spaffer-in-chief develops a decisive side we will just continue to import the next variant from a less vaccinated country while he decides whether or not to restrict travel from that country.

It’s the whole package - vaccination, avoiding risky contact, test and trace/isolation (effective rather than a bit effective) and travel restrictions as appropriate that need to work. Evidence is that this lot can’t make that happen.

Quoted as such a good post!

See it a lot in the Peak District, strong smell of skunk as you are close passed by a gang of idiots in a souped up hatch worth less than the bike I ride & probably not taxed or insured.

It's everywhere frankly. Even up here in semi-rural Norfolk and all over London.

Rather old news this, the number of cycling deaths in the early stages of lockdown were really scary; not sure how much of this 'carnage' has been retained. One thing for sure, I highly recommend going for a bike ride when there is an England game on; absolute bliss. It's actually really hard for a cyclist in an urban area to kill themselves without another element being involved. Unfortunately the balance of power in this country is heavily weighted towards motorists. I also drive so try to see both sides but it is bloody difficult when you witness first hand how car drivers wilfully put others at risk.

Driving standards seem even lower than pre-lockdown, and they were pretty low already. The agro I see on my rare trips to London from all type of road user is off the scale as is the piss poor driving of a small but ever increasing minority of drivers. You see some truly arrogant entitled cyclists in london but I do wonder what might have driven them to be that way.

I'm VERY wary of the 'they would have died anyway' argument (not least because as a middle-aged T1 diabetic I seem to be included in those stats!) but presumably as infection rates increase the number of people who die of something else entirely while infected with covid will also increase.

Is there any way of sensibly unpicking that? Does current excess deaths help? (and is there a handy source for that?)

I'm VERY wary of the 'they would have died anyway' argument (not least because as a middle-aged T1 diabetic I seem to be included in those stats!) but presumably as infection rates increase the number of people who die of something else entirely while infected with covid will also increase.

Is there any way of sensibly unpicking that? Does current excess deaths help? (and is there a handy source for that?)

The number of deaths is too small still but they'll be three weeks behind hospitalisations (which only began to increase noticably 3 weeks or so ago) so the next month to six weeks will be telling.

Where did you see this argument?

Everywhere for months at the start of the pandemic.

From the government's insistence on telling us that most of the people who had died that day had something else wrong with them (not very reassuring if you'r one of the 15m people in the UK with chronic disease - it also later emerged that the list of co-morbidities included stuff like broken arms!) at one end of the spectrum to swivel-eyed New World Order Bill Gates conspiracy loons at the other telling us it was all a hoax and only the old and sick were dying - and they would have died anyway.

From the government's insistence on telling us that most of the people who had died that day had something else wrong with them (not very reassuring if you'r one of the 15m people in the UK with chronic disease - it also later emerged that the list of co-morbidities included stuff like broken arms!) at one end of the spectrum to swivel-eyed New World Order Bill Gates conspiracy loons at the other telling us it was all a hoax and only the old and sick were dying - and they would have died anyway.

Frances Ryan wrote a nice reminder only yesterday

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/jun/24/covid-vulnerable-life-death-toll-old-disabled

It’s been a consistent narrative since the outset early last year. As a T2 diabetic and asthmatic I’ve long understood I’d just be excused as ‘underlying conditions’ regardless of whether I’m capable of cycling 50 miles or whatever.

I’m far more concerned now about how the deaths in the disabled community are seemingly going unreported. DNRs issued for Down Syndrome folk etc. There is something truly disturbing occurring just outside of public view and I suspect a lot are not appearing on covid stats at all due to the ‘28 days’ massaging of statistics. I’m reluctant to ascribe motivation here, but if I was even more cynical and distrustful of this government I’d start to suspect certain people within the state establishment were viewing long-term social care budgets. I learned not to trust governments, especially Tory ones, way back in my very first job as a trainee psych nurse at the very start of the 1980s. I saw the brutality and cruelty of penny pinching right up close, and not long after the big mental hospitals started to be closed entirely (“care in the community”) and the current homelessness epidemic gradually started with mentally ill folk freezing to death in shop doorways as they do through to this day. I hope I’m wrong, but it is always the case that the mentally ill/handicapped and physically disabled have very little voice and far too few advocates. Covid 19 is cutting through them like a scythe.

Driving standards seem even lower than pre-lockdown, and they were pretty low already. The agro I see on my rare trips to London from all type of road user is off the scale as is the piss poor driving of a small but ever increasing minority of drivers. You see some truly arrogant entitled cyclists in london but I do wonder what might have driven them to be that way.
London is a really difficult one, there are lots of people fighting for space; black cabs versus Uber for example. I think certain behaviours of urban cyclists have become born of necessity/survival. Things such as adopting a primary position, getting ahead of the lights etc are all driven by this. I am not a commuter by bike so don’t really witness rush hour behaviour.

Driving standards are alarming, had a car head straight for me last night, I had right of way but ended up mounting kerb onto a path to avoid being run over. Posh part of town & a very entitled person behind wheel of a 4x4, it has become a trope.

Driving stoned is a really weird one. I think some people who would never drink drive don't think anything of it.

When I did motorbike CBT training last autumn the instructor told us a guy had turned up the previous morning, got out of the passenger seat of a car that reeked of weed and staggered over to the instructor, clearly off his tits. After being sent home he later rang up the centre to complain and explained that it wasn't like he wasn't drunk, just a bit stoned and what was the problem exactly?

Dear Mr X, as you know all our calls are recorded for training purposes, this recording will be played to the relevant authorities to enable you to receive appropriate training.

From the government's insistence on telling us that most of the people who had died that day had something else wrong with them .

That, of course, is not quite the same point. (Did they say most, or many?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back