advertisement

Coronavirus - the new strain XIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

That says half of californians are fully vaccinated and there are apparently 40M people in California, so 20M fully vaccinated and of those, you say, 4K had a breakthrough COVID and we don't know how many of them got it bad. This sounds like good odds to me -- I'm ditching the mask now!

..but obviously doesn't eliminate it. I guess you can argue the toss as to whether that's enough.

BTW caught a bus to New Cross with my wife this morning to accompany her for her 2nd jab - ten other people on the top deck, only three wearing face coverings. We opted to walk home.

Shocking. Haven't come across that in confined spaces over here. Most people appear to be very careful. No doubt the younger age groups are flaunting regs and not social distancing or observing regs. Not all but a substantial minority are acting poorly. I fully understand their behaviour and if there is any solace the virus is not affecting this age profile too badly ( that I am aware of or from the current hospital figures and death rates).

What’s the point of quarantining someone who’s fully vaccinated? I mean, I’ve not seen the figures, but if full vaccination is felt to be a good thing for care home workers, that must be because it really reduces your viral load. Add to this that the EU countries would have been daft not to make sure that there’s a high rate of vaccination among the residents in the big tourist centres - Greek and Spanish islands, Costa Brava etc.

And add to this that I really want to take a few days in Holland next month . . .

Because the more vaccinated people are exposed to the virus, the higher the chance a vaccine resistant virus has of evolving.

Deaths of cyclists on the roads increased by 40% in 2020 despite lockdown?!?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...oads-rose-by-40-in-2020-official-figures-show

Trouble with these headline figures is the devil will be in the detail. Analysis in cycling deaths is always lacking (deliberately I fear). Two key factors in play for 2020 are:

Lots more people on bikes including huge number who haven't cycled since they were kids hence lacked experience.
Less cars on the road, but more dangerous driving from those who were as they were 'enjoying' the open roads.

How either of these have contributed I really can't say, but if you increase the number of one type of vehicle on the road you are bound to see an increase in deaths of people using that type of vehicle.

As ever the cycling groups will be jumping up and down and the motoring groups will be countering when the truth will be somewhere in the middle and all road users need to work together rather than fragment further. Sigh!

Because the more vaccinated people are exposed to the virus, the higher the chance a vaccine resistant virus has of evolving.

I’m not following your thinking. Are you assuming that a vaccinated person has a higher probability of carrying a breakthrough variant?

(I know that the more we vaccinate, the greater the pressure on the virus to produce a breakthrough mutation - but that’s not the same thing.)

I’m not following your thinking. Are you assuming that a vaccinated person has a higher probability of carrying a breakthrough variant?

(I know that the more we vaccinate, the greater the pressure on the virus to produce a breakthrough mutation - but that’s not the same thing.)

It's not the more we vaccinate per se - it's the more infections are allowed to remain high and for infection to spread among the vaccinated population the higher the risk of a dangerous mutation.

It's not the more we vaccinate per se - it's the more infections are allowed to remain high and for infection to spread among the vaccinated population the higher the risk of a dangerous mutation.

Ah yes, well that’s a different point in the context.

But infections are set to remain very high, so we need a system to identify and control the resulting variants. I’m not sure what such a system looks like, but it is the next big challenge probably. We’re well set up in the UK - large efficient test and trace infrastructure, including sequencing.

Ah yes, well that’s a different point in the context.

But infections are set to remain very high, so we need a system to identify and control the resulting variants. I’m not sure what such a system looks like, but it is the next big challenge probably. We’re well set up in the UK - large efficient test and trace infrastructure, including sequencing.

No. We need to keep a lid on infections and to vaccinate teenagers to minimise the pool in which the virus is free to spread.

Trouble with these headline figures is the devil will be in the detail. Analysis in cycling deaths is always lacking (deliberately I fear). Two key factors in play for 2020 are:

Lots more people on bikes including huge number who haven't cycled since they were kids hence lacked experience.
Less cars on the road, but more dangerous driving from those who were as they were 'enjoying' the open roads.

How either of these have contributed I really can't say, but if you increase the number of one type of vehicle on the road you are bound to see an increase in deaths of people using that type of vehicle.

As ever the cycling groups will be jumping up and down and the motoring groups will be countering when the truth will be somewhere in the middle and all road users need to work together rather than fragment further. Sigh!
Rather old news this, the number of cycling deaths in the early stages of lockdown were really scary; not sure how much of this 'carnage' has been retained. One thing for sure, I highly recommend going for a bike ride when there is an England game on; absolute bliss. It's actually really hard for a cyclist in an urban area to kill themselves without another element being involved. Unfortunately the balance of power in this country is heavily weighted towards motorists. I also drive so try to see both sides but it is bloody difficult when you witness first hand how car drivers wilfully put others at risk.

No. We need to keep a lid on infections and to vaccinate teenagers to minimise the pool in which the virus is free to spread.

Couldn’t agree more, but the practicality is that unless the spaffer-in-chief develops a decisive side we will just continue to import the next variant from a less vaccinated country while he decides whether or not to restrict travel from that country.

It’s the whole package - vaccination, avoiding risky contact, test and trace/isolation (effective rather than a bit effective) and travel restrictions as appropriate that need to work. Evidence is that this lot can’t make that happen.

Deaths of cyclists on the roads increased by 40% in 2020 despite lockdown?!?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...oads-rose-by-40-in-2020-official-figures-show

It doesn’t surprise me. At the height of the first lockdown (the one people actually paid attention to) the roads were empty but around here the idiots with tweaked-up hatchbacks were out burning rubber etc. I have been passed far too many times by morons driving at around twice to three times the speed limit seemingly immune to police challenge. That behaviour seems to remain even though the streets are now full of vehicles again. Then there is the drug abuse. I am convinced about one in ten drivers around here is either pissed or stoned. The amount of open skunk/cannabis use is just astonishing, you smell it everywhere in the north of England. Including from car windows. Driving when drugged/pissed should carry a serious penalty IMO, e.g. prison or a truly life-changing fine.

PS I’m pretty liberal when it comes to drug law as I fully grasp just how destructive the violent gang culture that supplies it is and I’d like to see this multi-£bn industry fully taxed and paying its way rather than expecting the rest of us to clean up its mess at our expense. Humans take drugs, that is just a reality, so we may as well get it to pay its way and only criminalise behaviour dangerous to others.

It doesn’t surprise me. At the height of the first lockdown (the one people actually paid attention to) the roads were empty but around here the idiots with tweaked-up hatchbacks were out burning rubber etc. I have been passed far too many times by morons driving at around twice to three times the speed limit seemingly immune to police challenge. That behaviour seems to remain even though the streets are now full of vehicles again. Then there is the drug abuse. I am convinced about one in ten drivers around here is either pissed or stoned. The amount of open skunk/cannabis use is just astonishing, you smell it everywhere in the north of England. Including from car windows. Driving when drugged/pissed should carry a serious penalty IMO, e.g. prison or a truly life-changing fine.

PS I’m pretty liberal when it comes to drug law as I fully grasp just how destructive the violent gang culture that supplies it is and I’d like to see this multi-£bn industry fully taxed and paying its way rather than expecting the rest of us to clean up its mess at our expense. Humans take drugs, that is just a reality, so we may as well get it to pay its way and only criminalise behaviour dangerous to others.

It has to be bad for even the AA to call it "staggering"

Couldn’t agree more, but the practicality is that unless the spaffer-in-chief develops a decisive side we will just continue to import the next variant from a less vaccinated country while he decides whether or not to restrict travel from that country.

It’s the whole package - vaccination, avoiding risky contact, test and trace/isolation (effective rather than a bit effective) and travel restrictions as appropriate that need to work. Evidence is that this lot can’t make that happen.

I couldn't agree more - but mandyka knows that too. He seems to have gone all 'vaccine happy'.

Driving stoned is a really weird one. I think some people who would never drink drive don't think anything of it.

When I did motorbike CBT training last autumn the instructor told us a guy had turned up the previous morning, got out of the passenger seat of a car that reeked of weed and staggered over to the instructor, clearly off his tits. After being sent home he later rang up the centre to complain and explained that it wasn't like he wasn't drunk, just a bit stoned and what was the problem exactly?

A breakdown of the recent deaths re vaccination. We are seeing deaths beginning to rise now I think. Make of the stats what you will...

I believe we are about to enter a new phase where deaths of older people and the disabled will be accepted again as the cost of 'freedom'.

"As of 21 June, there have been 117 deaths in England of people who were confirmed as having the Delta variant and who died within 28 days of a positive test.

Of this number, eight were under the age of 50 and 109 were over 50, PA Media reports.

Of the 109 over 50, 38 were unvaccinated, one was within 21 days of a first dose of vaccine, 17 more than 21 days after one dose of vaccine and 50 had received both doses.

Of the eight under 50, two were more than 21 days after a first dose of vaccine and six were unvaccinated."

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...0834183eee196b#block-60d59ed68f0834183eee196b

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back