advertisement

Coronavirus - the new strain XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
That graph does not catch when CV-19 killed overtime and caused actual pay cuts in the private sector. Public sector has held its ground and is now way ahead.
Many of the highest paying salaried jobs in the private sector like airline pilots are slashed.
This is a slippery slope, with arguments that can go several ways. EG: private sector can earn what they like, but public sector pay frozen for many years, public sector can have more job security and supporting regulation - etc etc.

It is what it is.

More detail on the Oxford vaccine. The detail is worth reading so the 70% figure does not get misconstrued.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55040635

Mass Covid-19 testing to start in England to head off Tory revolt.

Is this testing to see if you’re a Tory?

So we finally get mass testing, but it’s to placate the Tory party.

It's absolutely jaw-dropping isn't it? Mass testing couldn't be done we were told.... well not for health reasons anyway. As usual a little bit of kerfuffle about it for a few days and then it'll be forgotten about like all the other shite this shower of greedy self entitled twats have been up to!

Mass Covid-19 testing to start in England to head off Tory revolt.

Is this testing to see if you’re a Tory?

So we finally get mass testing, but it’s to placate the Tory party.

Sounds about typical.

So we have Tory ‘Covid recovery group’ but not a Tory ‘What happens in January after hard Brexit’ group.

Stephen
There’s only 70 rebels and Johnson can rely on the opposition parties, so I don’t see why he’d spend billions on a potentially counterproductive scheme just to head off a rebellion. It’s tempting to say this is all about the money rather than the politics. Someone’s been promised those billions.

There’s only 70 rebels and Johnson can rely on the opposition parties, so I don’t see why he’d spend billions on a potentially counterproductive scheme just to head off a rebellion. It’s tempting to say this is all about the money rather than the politics. Someone’s been promised those billions.

Correct. Unless I’ve overlooked it there’s no evidence in that article to suggest that he’s doing it to appease the party. As far as I can see it’s just shoddy headline writing. The measures The Guardian describes have been all over the popular press for the past couple of days, by the way.

I am not worried about discussing the politics of the Government, as its makes me spit feathers, and I simply find it so stress inducing.

BUT I could not be more delighted with the news that the Oxford Astra Zeneca vaccine is a proving, in trials, to be such a splendid success. Of course one needs to read the the whole of the story to realise that the comparatively disappointing figure of 70% protection is a base line and that there is hope that with refined dosing, then 90% may be achieved.

With an extremely relatively inexpensive vaccine compared to BioNTech and Moderna, this will have significance for the whole world. As a simpler vaccine to transport at fridge rather than ultra-deep-freeze temperatures, the logistic are going to be much simpler and more reliable.

At last we are looking at a practical solution to vaccination for everyone who needs and wants it.

One less cloud in the sky.

Best wishes from George

"I'll go but it'll cost you"
"Ok Dom"

Not been reading this thread so apologies if it has been done already but saw this today and thought it could use some trekking up
@Joe P

126868541_1474993979337685_7332138696262540442_n.jpg

70% efficacy is still, really, really good.

I have a foot in both camps re the proposed public sector pay freeze; my other half is a head teacher & I work in the private sector. Private sector IME has been far harder hit in terms of pay cuts (not freezes) & job losses. My other half has worked tirelessly during the year & certainly more than deserves her salary. This applies equally to their staff.

Unions will have to be careful on the language used as losing public support will only make the case harder. The current set of shits we have as a Government will be quick to exploit this.

If the opposition abstain he could be in trouble, that's why.

Of course, Starmer, Sturgeon and (probably) the Ed Davey are very unlikely do that.

They have principles that go beyond just being in power. That's anathema to most of the Tory party.

It's just that Johnson cannot even envisage anyone being like that.

Stephen

If the opposition abstain he could be in trouble, that's why.

Of course, Starmer, Sturgeon and (probably) the Ed Davey are very unlikely do that.

They have principles that go beyond just being in power. That's anathema to most of the Tory party.

It's just that Johnson cannot even envisage anyone being like that.

Stephen

Pretty rococo narrative, that one, to try and justify a Guardian story which prima facie is just bad reporting. The Guardian is, after all, hardly a neutral source, albeit an easily available source. Surely it’s best, more likely to be true, to choose the interpretation which is simplest? I.e. - mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back