advertisement

Coronavirus - the new strain X

Status
Not open for further replies.
The numbers in question (I assume you mean the £35bn and £9bn) don't come from the Tories though. What's your point?
At least you mentioned Kurzarbeit, I'll give you that :). Some others don't bother to make a distinction.

My point is that mass unemployment in the middle of a pandemic is really not a very good idea. You might think so, and that's what I find offensive - together with your patronising comment above and your general trolling around covid denial. I meant you are the Tory. Another 4422 cases today among those fortunate enough to be able to get a test, 27 dead and another 200 admitted to hospital in England alone who won't be laughing along with you either.

Either they can’t get it to work or they don’t want it to work, and that’s not really down to a dickhead going on a pub crawl.

The herd immunity strategy, by their own calculations, was going to cost, what, 400 thousand lives? The exact number escapes me.

I’m interested in how people justify that, and in the role that blaming the public plays - they definitely seem to go hand in hand.

It would possibly have been half a million if nothing were done, according to Ferguson’s team.

But if we’d supported the vulnerable and implemented a proper track and trace, I think we could have managed this without lockdown.

The downside would be that there’s be no rush for a vaccine in that case. Those shielding would effectively be under house arrest for life. They may still be.

Stephen

now even Johnson realises that he's triggered the second wave

There do seem to be people who are determined to keep this a political issue. The PM isn't the one spreading the virus, it is the great British public doing that plain and simple.

Nobody seems to have addressed the point I made about the significant number of people going for tests who don't actually need them. I've been subject to two total unnecessary, albeit private, ones to date.

Let's work on the basis that everybody else would be COVID positive and treat them accordingly - it's what I've been doing since March. I don't need track and trace................

Judging by pictures shown on the news earlier today students still don't seem to 'get it'.............. The hospitality industry has its work cut out!!!!

Regards

Richard

There do seem to be people who are determined to keep this a political issue. The PM isn't the one spreading the virus, it is the great British public doing that plain and simple.

Nobody seems to have addressed the point I made about the significant number of people going for tests who don't actually need them. I've been subject to two total unnecessary, albeit private, ones to date.

Let's work on the basis that everybody else would be COVID positive and treat them accordingly - it's what I've been doing since March. I don't need track and trace................

Judging by pictures shown on the news earlier today students still don't seem to 'get it'.............. The hospitality industry has its work cut out!!!!

Regards

Richard

I addressed the point yesterday, Richard.

This crackdown on allegations of corruption in the procurement process is long overdue:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/l...08e8fc8e2f71db#block-5f66485b8f08e8fc8e2f71db
Kenya’s chief public prosecutor, Noordin Haji, has ordered a probe into $71m in “irregular procurement” linked to the coronavirus by the Kenya Medical Supplies Authority (KEMSA).

Hard-pressed Kenyan hospital staff have staged strikes to highlight what they say are scandalous practices by the authority, which purchases medication and equipment for the nation’s public hospitals, AFP reports.

Three weeks ago, president Uhuru Kenyatta asked the national Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission (EACC) to investigate contracts granted to influential figures, including politicians, without respect for rules of public procurement.

Its report was submitted Friday to the prosecutor, who concluded that “irregular procurement and fraudulent payments” had been made totalling 7.8 billion Kenyan shillings (around $71m).

Haji then instructed senior prosecutors “to undertake an independent and comprehensive review of the file” within two weeks, he said.

The EACC probe has already led to the suspension of KEMSA head Jonah Manjari and supply director Charles Juma.

Several Kenyan businessmen have already been accused of siphoning off around $400 million worth of public funds destined to pay for medical equipment needed in the battle against Covid-19.

KEMSA’s overall coronavirus budget is not known.

The virus has infected at least 36,800 people in Kenya, which ranks 137 out of 180 countries on a corruption perception index compiled by the non-governmental organisation Transparency International.
Shame it's not in this country.

That has to be a comedy piece, surely? Fawning over a bone idle, corpulent chancer who’s lived off of others. If only he put as much energy into the job of Prime Minister as he has littering the country with dependents from a string of cheated wives and ex-mistresses or in blowing other people’s money. He might not have enough servants but we are literally paying people to pick up his shit after him-

LWlyke5.jpg

On the plus side, the dog is cute, a fox terrier maybe.

Regards

Richard

I addressed the point yesterday, Richard.

Me too, others as well I suspect. Even if you believe Harding’s claim that 27% of people’s seeking tests are “ineligible” - and I don’t, not for a second - she herself has conceded that demand outstrips supply by 4 to 1. According to her own figures it’s a relatively small problem.

If everyone worked “on the basis that everybody else would be COVID positive and treat them accordingly” nobody would go to work or school. Total lockdown. I think this is what you’re not getting about test and trace: it’s necessary for most people to be fairly confident they don’t have it in order for society to actually function.

A lot of people are working really hard to keep you safe and comfortable, and they’re not getting much thanks for it.

Me too, others as well I suspect. Even if you believe Harding’s claim that 27% of people’s seeking tests are “ineligible” - and I don’t, not for a second - she herself has conceded that demand outstrips supply by 4 to 1. According to her own figures it’s a relatively small problem.

If everyone worked “on the basis that everybody else would be COVID positive and treat them accordingly” nobody would go to work or school. Total lockdown. I think this is what you’re not getting about test and trace: it’s necessary for most people to be fairly confident they don’t have it in order for society to actually function.

A lot of people are working really hard to keep you safe and comfortable, and they’re not getting much thanks for it.

What I don’t get is that they employ management consultants on vast sums to find out what has gone wrong but they won’t pay anything above the minimum wage to make sure it doesn’t happen in the first place but I guess that is what happens when you have management by ideology. The whole system is descending into a “Spivocracy”.

What I don’t get is that they employ management consultants on vast sums to find out what has gone wrong but they won’t pay anything above the minimum wage to make sure it doesn’t happen in the first place but I guess that is what happens when you have management by ideology. The whole system is descending into a “Spivocracy”.
Spivocracy: yes, that’s good. That’s what we’re dealing with here. The people in charge are exactly the type who, in previously crises, would find themselves tarred and feathered for antisocial activity.

Is this as bad as it sounds?

https://twitter.com/ShaunLintern/status/1307020722250878988
Leaked documents show the DHSC has now imposed a cap on the level of funding to pay for Covid testing in the NHS. In short hospitals who do their own testing without approval of the Test and Trace service wont get paid.
So more central control given to Dido Harding ("Testing Tsar") when the system is failing and the number of cases is growing fast.

Surely this is a terrible idea?

Spivocracy: yes, that’s good. That’s what we’re dealing with here. The people in charge are exactly the type who, in previously crises, would find themselves tarred and feathered for antisocial activity.

Except they don’t get tarred and feathered, they get rewarded and lauded.

Is this as bad as it sounds?

https://twitter.com/ShaunLintern/status/1307020722250878988

So more central control given to Dido Harding ("Testing Tsar") when the system is failing and the number of cases is growing fast.

Surely this is a terrible idea?
In other words incompetent Dido and her silent partners have been handed a monopoly by Johnson & Cummings and they’ll beggar the NHS if they attempt to compete in order to protect their patients and their staff. Smells awfully like corruption to me.

In other words incompetent Dido and her silent partners have been handed a monopoly by Johnson & Cummings and they’ll beggar the NHS if they attempt to compete in order to protect their patients and their staff. Smells awfully like corruption to me.

Don’t go south of the border Dec, you will be arrested for sedition.

Does it not strike you as wrong that the penalties have to be so high for enforcing behaviour that should be voluntary?

That will be the maximum. There will no doubt be FPN’s for this, with much lower fines.

I’ll not comment on the voluntary bit, as to some it’s for the government to tell us what we should do.

That will be the maximum. There will no doubt be FPN’s for this, with much lower fines.

I’ll not comment on the voluntary bit, as to some it’s for the government to tell us what we should do.
Seriously. The fines are literally for not doing what the government is telling us what to do.

Who do you want to manage a pandemic? No rules, no advice, no laws, no support, no expertise, just everyone following common sense.

Libertarian cops. I can’t keep up.

My point is that mass unemployment in the middle of a pandemic is really not a very good idea. You might think so, and that's what I find offensive - together with your patronising comment above and your general trolling around covid denial. I meant you are the Tory. Another 4422 cases today among those fortunate enough to be able to get a test, 27 dead and another 200 admitted to hospital in England alone who won't be laughing along with you either.

Mass unemployment is inevitable unless they furlough people on their actual wages. That isn't going to happen. Try my best not to think to0 hard about what will unfold both from a covid and economy viewpoint over the next 1-5yrs. It is to my way of thinking possibly the equivalent to WW3 without any armies taking the field.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back