advertisement

Coronavirus - the new strain IX

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems that the old red, new blue, wall is about to be hit with Leicester like lockdown. Bearing in mind the disquiet in the old red wall before the election was about decades of being treated differently by decades of London government, how will it now react to lockdown happening up there, but not down here?

There is little doubt in my mind that this government will sacrifice the predominant demographic of this website in order to meet its other priorities, so folk need to be bright. Look at the evidence, do the research etc.

Well, look at the evidence and do the research. There’s a costly lockdown being enforced in Leicester which was implemented even though the significance of the flare up is unknown. This looks like the action of a diligent and cautious government seeking to protect the health of the people.

clinically unwell cases cannot be readily distinguished from the numbers of new infections (symptomatic and asymptomatic) that might be expected to be seen due to the very significant changes in testing regimes that have occurred during the period mid-March to late June.

Evidence for the scale of the outbreak is limited and may, in part, be artefactually related to growth in availability of testing.

https://assets.publishing.service.g...il&utm_term=0_10959edeb5-1fd867e37f-190458213

Have to say I am unable to contribute to the pub thread for fear of being banned. I cannot get my head round the madness of the moment.

Virus is still out there, killing about 100 people a day and it's only that 'low' because of the 'lockdown '. No vaccine available, no real guaranteed treatment available. It transmits well in enclosed spaces with people close to each other.

So let's all go to the pub on Saturday.... absolute madness as there is no chance they won't be overrun when people get angry about only so many being allowed in etc. And then there are the effects of alcohol to consider.... a major part of the clientele will be significantly inebriated within no time... any social distancing considerations they had (which are probably not many) will be gone!

Anyone who is contemplating being part of that is part of the problem in my book!
50067389938_f7ba44045c_b.jpg

Well, look at the evidence and do the research. There’s a costly lockdown being enforced in Leicester which was implemented even though the significance of the flare up is unknown. This looks like the action of a diligent and cautious government seeking to protect the health of the people.

https://assets.publishing.service.g...il&utm_term=0_10959edeb5-1fd867e37f-190458213

And just how much of those 25 pages did you understand?
One of the first graph showed that in every case the numbers detected were higher than would be expected. Also those error bars on Leicesters numbers (page 22) are enormous which may well indicate that they have not tested enough people to get any significant results.

And just how much of those 25 pages did you understand?
One of the first graph showed that in every case the numbers detected were higher than would be expected. Also those error bars on Leicesters numbers (page 22) are enormous which may well indicate that they have not tested enough people to get any significant results.

The significance of the flare up is unknown. I'm not trying to show that the flare up isn't significant, I'm trying to show that the government acted cautiously!

Whether that caution was justified is another question.

The significance of the flare up is unknown. I'm not trying to show that the flare up isn't significant, I'm trying to show that the government acted cautiously!
Given their record during this crisis, I’m not so sure I’d buy that, just yet. It feels equally possible that an example is being made ‘pour encourager les autres’, so this is opportunistic rather than precautionary. It is certainly disappointing that I can argue for my scenario and it may be as credible as yours.

Given their record during this crisis, I’m not so sure I’d buy that, just yet. It feels equally possible that an example is being made ‘pour encourager les autres’, so this is opportunistic rather than precautionary. It is certainly disappointing that I can argue for my scenario and it may be as credible as yours, though.

OK, that seems fair. I understand where you're coming from.

Whether that caution was justified is another question.
The significance of the flare up is not whether it is unknown or not but wholly down to the pure fact that it is happening.
By cautiously you must mean 'done bugger all' as these things need to be dealt with quickly like a kick to the nuts.

Would a Government who "acted cautiously" have a policy of releasing only a part of the national test data to local authorities?
https://www.ft.com/content/301c847c-a317-4950-a75b-8e66933d423a

I couldn't quite understand what had been going on. To only be reporting the hospital test figures when the vast majority of tests aren't being conducted in hospitals is yet another scandal in the long list of scandals. Of course these were the figures they used to justify the 4th July nonsense and wrong-footed Starmer last week.

It seems that the old red, new blue, wall is about to be hit with Leicester like lockdown. Bearing in mind the disquiet in the old red wall before the election was about decades of being treated differently by decades of London government, how will it now react to lockdown happening up there, but not down here?

Leicester is just the first I fear

I'm still hoping I caught the damn thing in March, so I'm waiting for a widespread antibody test to become available. It'll be a big relief if I did as I was categorised as 'at risk'.

My wife is reporting that some of her staff (the NHS) who were known to have Covid back in March are sometimes returning negative antibody results now. Make of that what you will. We hear little these days about whether T-cells can also help with immunity - seems these are not tested for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back