advertisement

Coronavirus - the new strain IX

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm still hoping I caught the damn thing in March, so I'm waiting for a widespread antibody test to become available. It'll be a big relief if I did as I was categorised as 'at risk'.

I'm still hoping I caught the damn thing in March, so I'm waiting for a widespread antibody test to become available. It'll be a big relief if I did as I was categorised as 'at risk'.
You are making some big assumptions there.

Not much in the way of special measures/social distancing on a building site I was on in Leicester today, seemed business as usual apart from a few signs telling people to be careful.

Also called in to do a job at a Co-op in the same area, despite signs on all the walls in back of shop about only 2 people at a time in an area they weren't paying any attention to it, including the manager who came in to the tiny canteen whilst both I and the cleaner were already in there.

The real world is a million miles from some dreamt up socially distanced, mask wearing utopia the government think exists.

Johnson poor on PMs questions again , many MPs saying they did not want bluster but answers !
Of course very few answers and just saying what a good job he has done , REALLY ?

Johnson poor on PMs questions again , many MPs saying they did not want bluster but answers !
Of course very few answers and just saying what a good job he has done , REALLY ?
That's what happens in PMQs though. Always. Regardless of who is in power. Have you only recently started paying attention to it?

Of course very few answers

I thought he answered every question Starmer put to him. Have I got it wrong?

STARMER: Why was the government slow to act in Leicester?
BORIS: Nonsense. We acted in good time, from 8th June.

STARMER: Why did the Local authority only have data for Pillar 1?
BORIS: He's mistaken.

STARMER: Does the PM regret being flippant about beaches?
BORIS: Rubbish! I was never flippant. People have to behave responsibly. And seaside towns must be welcoming.

STARMER: How can the PM explain that three quarters of cases are being missed by test and trace?
BORIS: T, T and T is doing really well so shut the fUck up.

STARMER: How many jobs will the PM's announcement yesterday protect?
BORIS: We'll deliver jobs, jobs jobs. (I'm not going to give a figure, what do you expect, you muppet!)

STARMER: Will the PM extend the furlough scheme to parts of the economy at great risk.
BORIS: No.

Add Bradford, Barnsley and Rochdale to the list of places to be avoided like the covid. Where else?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...us-hotspots-in-bradford-barnsley-and-rochdale
Not surprised by Bradford. I cycled through it a few times during lockdown and it looked like business as usual in many places. People wandering in and out of corner shops to buy essential foods like cans of coke and Mars bars, and congregating in groups of 8 or 10 outside cafes, houses etc. With this in mind I'll do my essential shopping in Leeds for the next few weeks.

PPE in the news on channel 4 , large amount of masks have to be destroyed because they are unsafe .The so called retesting of out of date stock involved testing 49 masks out of 60 million and the 49 were one make only .This is really shocking as I assumed few tests would actually be carried out but you would expect at least one box per batch . This is after the government had told NHS staff PPE was rigorously tested and safe , risking peoples lives is in excusable , expect more prosecutions from families that have lost loved ones

So far, more Americans have died from coronavirus than in the wars of Vietnam, Korea, Iraq and Afghanistan combined. And Brazil and Britain aren’t doing much better. Congratulations those right wing nutjob governments.

Richard Dawkins (Twitter).

Britain has arguably had more civilian deaths than from bombing in WW2, I didn’t realise the Brexiteers hankering after the Blitz spirit were going to invoke it by mass killing.

“The British Isles were subject to sustained bombing attack from June 1940 to May 1941 (the so-called ‘Blitz'), then to intermittent raids from 1941 to 1943, then to the ‘Baby Blitz' [Operation Steinbock] in November 1943 to January 1944, finally to a campaign by flying bombs (V1) and rockets (V2) from June 1944 to March 1945. The total deaths in the ‘Blitz' amounted to over 43,000. Total deaths from the different forms of air attack 1940-1945 were around 61,000. Of these approximately 8,800 were the result of attacks by V-Weapons.“

https://humanities.exeter.ac.uk/his.../warstateandsociety/projects/bombing/britain/

Not surprised by Bradford. I cycled through it a few times during lockdown and it looked like business as usual in many places. People wandering in and out of corner shops to buy essential foods like cans of coke and Mars bars, and congregating in groups of 8 or 10 outside cafes, houses etc. With this in mind I'll do my essential shopping in Leeds for the next few weeks.

The rise in cases in Leicester has been attributed to the behaviour of u-19s.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...y-infection-rise-in-under-19s-says-phe-report

Leeds isn't too far behind - give it a week.

Britain has arguably had more civilian deaths than from bombing in WW2, I didn’t realise the Brexiteers hankering after the Blitz spirit were going to invoke it by mass killing.

“The British Isles were subject to sustained bombing attack from June 1940 to May 1941 (the so-called ‘Blitz'), then to intermittent raids from 1941 to 1943, then to the ‘Baby Blitz' [Operation Steinbock] in November 1943 to January 1944, finally to a campaign by flying bombs (V1) and rockets (V2) from June 1944 to March 1945. The total deaths in the ‘Blitz' amounted to over 43,000. Total deaths from the different forms of air attack 1940-1945 were around 61,000. Of these approximately 8,800 were the result of attacks by V-Weapons.“

https://humanities.exeter.ac.uk/his.../warstateandsociety/projects/bombing/britain/

The 'Blitz spirit' was a creation of the press, there wasn't really any such thing. The story I remember was of Herbert Morrison being told by Churchill to hush up reports of firemen looting the bombsites. Even kids were convicted of thieving jewellery from dead bodies.

Have to say I am unable to contribute to the pub thread for fear of being banned. I cannot get my head round the madness of the moment.

Virus is still out there, killing about 100 people a day and it's only that 'low' because of the 'lockdown '. No vaccine available, no real guaranteed treatment available. It transmits well in enclosed spaces with people close to each other.

So let's all go to the pub on Saturday.... absolute madness as there is no chance they won't be overrun when people get angry about only so many being allowed in etc. And then there are the effects of alcohol to consider.... a major part of the clientele will be significantly inebriated within no time... any social distancing considerations they had (which are probably not many) will be gone!

Anyone who is contemplating being part of that is part of the problem in my book!

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back