advertisement

Computer/Video Games & Gaming

Also worth checking out is puzzle game Chime which requires you to fill a grid with shapes, sort of like viewed from above Tertris, while listening to the likes of Orbital, Glass, etc. The schtick being that the tune develops as you complete groups and fill areas of the grid. Not a game you will play more than a few times, but it makes for an enjoyable late night chill out experience.

Free demo is probably enough, full game is kind of short (alhtough proceeds go to charity).

http://store.steampowered.com/app/62100/

Just completed Metro 2033 on the PC

My opinion? Just go buy it!

Good graphics, great atmosphere and ambience, good story line and it made me jump a few times and on one occasion scared the shit out of me, (got the PC hooked up to a 47" LCD and my home cinema system so when that bloody thing jumped out at me all the speakers and sub let fly and I have to admit that I squeaked a bit).

Its was made by a breakaway group of people from the company that made the Stalker games (completed all 3 of them, great games) so there are similarities but the game is more linear and follows a more set series of events rather than letting you just wander around but I can forgive it for that.

Wont say anymore as I don't want to spoil it for anyone that gives it a go.

Others I'll recommend:

The Eldar Scrolls Oblivion - Game of the Year Edition

Fallout 3 - Game of the Year Edition

Cryostasis (another one that makes you jump)

Crysis and Crysis Warhead

The S.T.A.L.K.E.R series - Shadow of Chernobyl - Clear Skies - Call of Pripyat

The Witcher - Platinum Edition

Farcry 2

Couple of freebies up for grabs:

Call of Juarez - Bound in Blood for PC
Mass Effect - 1 for PC

Didn't appeal to me so won't play them again, drop me a PM if you want them.

OnLive have dropped their subs this month to zero and you can try any game for 30 mins (each game) for free.

If you haven't tried it, it's madness. No load wait time; snazzy top end graphics, on old hardware; play any game on your Mac. Ace.

A colleague showed me Arkham Asylum, local on his fairly powerful, current desktop with decent GPU, compared to the game on OnLive on his three year old laptop. The laptop was considerably better.

Looks good - thanks for the tip Greg.
I tried, but sadly my connection isn't fast enough for their system.

Any advice on which console to get? hopefully before christmas.

I've been a PS bloke previous and I was a major Gran Tourismo junky. GT5 is calling me hence the PS3 being the favourite. I mainly like shooting shit, blowing shit up and driving fast shit etc.

Although I saw an advert for a game on the Xbox that looked a lot like the film Zombie land (ie, creative ways to kill Zombies in a theme park) it looked excellent for dipping in and out of for some mindless violence, so PS3 or XBox?

Xbox is the one for shooting and blowing shit up.
The game is dead rising 2. dead rising 1 was boring as fark, so I can't understand why they made a sequel. For pure, unadulterated zombie mashing, Left for dead can't be beat.

But I wont get GT5 on the xbox, which is almost the sole reason I'm considering a console in the first place. Damn it!!

Surely there's mindless gore to be had on the PS3?

Not to the level available on the Xbox, and the Xbox has far more exclusive (or at least not available on PS as well) titles, particularly in the FPS gore stakes. It also has a far better pad, again particularly for FPSs.

But I wont get GT5 on the xbox, which is almost the sole reason I'm considering a console in the first place. Damn it!!

Surely there's mindless gore to be had on the PS3?

Plenty :) Dead Rising 2 is also on the PS3

PS3/Xbox 360 are very very similar when it comes to how the games look/perform, the controllers are different but you will get used to whichever you use.

So the only decision is are there any game exclusives on one platform that you want.. The only other consideration might be what consoles your friends have (makes it easier to borrow games/swap)

If you want GT5 then get a PS3 (Its the game I am waiting for atm!).

Simples.

Sam

I never understood the appeal of resident evil, is dead space 2 out yet?

The Res. Evil 4 port to Wii was good. One and two were good at the time, but a little slow these days, moving from room to room seems to take forever.
No, not out until next year now I think. Perhaps they didn't want to compete with Reach. Which is much better than I expected it to be.

Grand Turismo on the PS3 and PSP. Am addicted to beating my own time around the N'bring in a tail-happy Ruf CTR Yellowbird. Must be a Fazunation thing.

Got the PS3 for movie streaming over network and was surprised how good it was as a device to play childish games on.

I expect I will find GT5 in my xmas stocking, if I provide enough hints.

advertisement

Back