advertisement

Combined DAC/Pre

readams

No longer wine tasting
Hi

I'm trying to reuce my box count. I have a ditital streamer (Naim HDX), I'm hopefully sorting some active ACTs now I need something to put between them. I do have a turntable so the ability to use that would be a plus but not essential. I think over the years I've become less of an audiophile so it doesn't have to be the last word in high end hifi. Second hand is ok.

I'm moving from Naim DAC/555PS/552/500 not because I don't like the sound i just don't want my front room to look like a hifi shop anymore!

Have a word with Colin at Chevron Audio he has a new pre/dac combo coming out shortly, it will be at Scalford.
a Preamp/DAC combo based on our Preamp and the 24bit NOS DDAC1794.
I am sure it will sound excellent and won't break the bank.

Cyrus DACXP works very well in my system. It has a good digital section, but no usb input. It has two analogue inputs one of which I use for a phono stage and the other multichannel.

I am using the Oppo HA-1 as a DAC/preamp and am very very happy with how good it sounds into Event Opal active speakers. It has two analogue inputs in addition to USB, AES/EBU, Toslink, Spdif and Bluetooth

I found that going from NAC82 and Naim DAC to Audiolab MDAC was quite a big jump in quality, though the Naim 552/500 is rather batter than the NAC82/NAP250.

You have a very good amplifier, by any standards, so you really need to listen carefully, but I'm now convinced that simplifying the analogue amplification chain is the way to go.

Beresford Caiman here, cheaper end of the market but sounds lovely, good headphone sounds as well.

It's a great little dac for sure and excellent value (I recommended it to a friend and he has been very happy with his) but there are better pre-dac's out there tbh.

I've just gone from a big NAIM stack to NAC272 and ATC SCM50A. I've got money in the bank, a living room and cured my naim-upgrade syndrome.

To all that have recommended the Benchmark DAC2 HGC

I had the original Benchmark DAC. It lasted two months in my system. It was "too harsh" for my personal tastes - how does this version differ?

TIA

Richard

advertisement

Back