advertisement

Collection of vintage DACs increases…

Nice to see a manufacturer understanding the importance of seperate transformers or windings for different DAC sections. I think this is one of the reasons my Theta DAC, and Audial DAC, sound so engaging.

I think so also without being able to explain why technically. They sound way too good.

Last edited:
Just to add, I have two Theta dacs, Cobalt 307 and Pro Progeny. The latter is first in line for new capacitors - when i'm up for it.
fud9vut.jpg

I was so pleased with the Theta sound that I bought a Shit Modi multibit out of curiosity. Sold it on after a short time.
oWgfDoV.jpg

I had a loan of a Theta Miles CD player a few years ago, it was very hard to give it back. It has a PCM63 DAC on board. Such an involving and warm sound if not the most detailed. It kept asking you to push up the volume and when doing so on rock it was very addictive. In the end the Meridian 507 I compared it with didn't sound too different (a little more anemic and not quite as much fun). I went with my head rather then my heart, the Meridian was the safer bet as I knew it's very little used history.

I also had the big Theta DAC here which offered the same fun but slightly more so. The seller wanted more than I could pay for it though and the inputs were a very limiting factor too.

The transport was dreadful though. It occupies one of the top spots in my personal 'hall of shame' for the worst bits of equipment I have ever encountered!

I bought an ex-demo audio alchemy DDS1.1 around 1992-1993. An impressive looking two-box machine that could barely play some tracks on some few CDs. That adventure lasted a week before it was sent back. It was intended as an upgrade over a Denon dcd890 which were used on Audio Alchemy DTI / DDEv1.1 and two Powerstation 2.

AA is more spiritual than religious but the big AA book mentions God four times and indirectly twice. As opposed to those big old AA road atlases which don't mention him once.

Since above post I have added an ML 360 & dCS Delius DACs to the collection- currently using the Delius as a digi pre-amp, bypassing my Croft Mega Micro :)

Think I’m finished until a better dCS comes up at a reasonable price.

advertisement

Back